Nov 21, 2018
Nice
1) player straggling on the Eller's line - CHECK
2) player moved to the other line/team - CHECK
3) player score a million of points on the new line/team - CHECK

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As someone who follows Slovak players closely, I wonder what Capitals fans perception is of Richard Panik?

He used to be a good complementary winger in Chicago, and was at least decent with Arizona too. He would obviously see a lot more icetime with those two teams, often playing top six minutes and getting PP time. In Washington, I think he was on the 4th line last year after Kovy came in?

I think Panik only had one point in his first 15 games last season, but then was back to his normal production rate, despite limited icetime and little to no icetime on the power play. Now he seems to be playing 3rd line minutes while also getting a look on the 2nd PP unit. With all of this in mind, what are the expections for Panik this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
As someone who follows Slovak players closely, I wonder what Capitals fans perception is of Richard Panik?

He used to be a good complementary winger in Chicago, and was at least decent with Arizona too. He would obviously see a lot more icetime with those two teams, often playing top six minutes and getting PP time. In Washington, I think he was on the 4th line last year after Kovy came in?

I think Panik only had one point in his first 15 games last season, but then was back to his normal production rate, despite limited icetime and little to no icetime on the power play. Now he seems to be playing 3rd line minutes while also getting a look on the 2nd PP unit. With all of this in mind, what are the expections of Panik this year?

I think he had a challenging first year, but in fairness ended up on LTIR early in the season and was playing on a poorly-coached team, on a line with another wing (Hagelin) struggling to find an offensive game. He ended up with one of the highest points-per-60 minutes at ES in the league, and actually played his best hockey on the fourth line (suggesting teammates were maybe part of the issue).

This year he started back on the third line but without Hagelin, and for the first time in Washington he’s being bumped up to the second line at times and getting PP2 time. I don’t think anyone would suggest he’s playing badly this year – certainly not a liability, and is driving offence mostly. He’s been on a couple of lines with really good time in the OZ and some nice chances. A bit too early in the season though to see if that translates into actual offense. He’s definitely a complimentary player rather than a line-driver, and I think our GM and last year’s coach went wrong by not realising he and Eller needed more of a goal scorer or playmaker on the line than Hagelin, who was essentially a strong checker. Kovalchuk didn’t have any success on that line, either.

Reactions: Pomee and stastny12

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I think he had a challenging first year, but in fairness ended up on LTIR early in the season and was playing on a poorly-coached team, on a line with another wing (Hagelin) struggling to find an offensive game. He ended up with one of the highest points-per-60 minutes at ES in the league, and actually played his best hockey on the fourth line (suggesting teammates were maybe part of the issue).

This year he started back on the third line but without Hagelin, and for the first time in Washington he’s being bumped up to the second line at times and getting PP2 time. I don’t think anyone would suggest he’s playing badly this year – certainly not a liability, and is driving offence mostly. He’s been on a couple of lines with really good time in the OZ and some nice chances. A bit too early in the season though to see if that translates into actual offense. He’s definitely a complimentary player rather than a line-driver, and I think our GM and last year’s coach went wrong by not realising he and Eller needed more of a goal scorer or playmaker on the line than Hagelin, who was essentially a strong checker. Kovalchuk didn’t have any success on that line, either.
I beg to differ. Panik does very little in the way of pushing the play. He is a floater and you don’t notice him. Not noticing a defensemen is a good thing, not a forward.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I feel like Panik has been around a bunch of scoring chances this season, he just hasn't converted on them yet. Obviously while Ovie, Wilson, and Kuzy are out his spot in the line-up is pretty safe (and it's not like Sheary or Sprong are really pushing him hard anyway). But he also does enough away from the puck to be worthy of a 4th line spot even if he doesn't produce. But to be worth his contract, he's going to need to put points on the board eventually.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Panik played under 12 mins tonight. That might have been a result of McMichael being on his line. It seemed like Backstrom and Dowd were taking every other shift. Hagelin playe 20 mins again. Maybe that was a special game plan for Eichel

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Panik played under 12 mins tonight. That might have been a result of McMichael being on his line. It seemed like Backstrom and Dowd were taking every other shift. Hagelin playe 20 mins again. Maybe that was a special game plan for Eichel

I'm not really sure what the comparison to Hagelin is meant to prove exactly in relation to Dowd? The guys who usually play 9 minutes a game were playing twice that because three of our top-six were out. It doesn't really tell you much beyond that. Certainly, if Dowd isn't more than a 11/12F, it's hard to rationalise that Hagelin is much more than that either on this team. Nor does it suggest Panik is particularly greater.

Panik is third on the team in hits so far (19) whereas Hagelin has 2. Hagelin is one of the strongest/most experienced guys on the PK and getting heavy use there*, where Panik isn't. Neither have many takeaways or giveaways; Panik has 1 point in 6 games while Hagelin has 0. They have 8 and 6 shots on goal, respectively. As with last year, neither are performing terribly well in relation to their contracts. The difference, beyond the PK, is that Panik is getting physically involved this season and Hagelin isn't, and Panik seems to end up in more scoring chances on his line whereas offense seems to die on Hagelin's stick even worse than last year. I think if they were each paid half what they're getting, no-one would be complaining about what they bring, particularly.

*Although while Hagelin's 21 minutes SH TOI so far is sixth amongst NHL forwards, his 14.26 GA/60 when shorthanded isn't great compared to a lot of the other guys getting heavy SH time. The PK is getting a lot of work, but also isn't really performing. Lars Eller is roughly the same, whereas Dowd, Wilson and Hathaway haven't been scored on yet in the 7:00-11:49 mins they've been on the PK. Luck and the defensive pairings probably play a part in this disparity, but six games in the main PKers don't seem to be getting it done for whatever reason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not really sure what the comparison to Hagelin is meant to prove exactly in relation to Dowd? The guys who usually play 9 minutes a game were playing twice that because three of our top-six were out. It doesn't really tell you much beyond that. Certainly, if Dowd isn't more than a 11/12F, it's hard to rationalise that Hagelin is much more than that either on this team. Nor does it suggest Panik is particularly greater.

Panik is third on the team in hits so far (19) whereas Hagelin has 2. Hagelin is one of the strongest/most experienced guys on the PK and getting heavy use there*, where Panik isn't. Neither have many takeaways or giveaways; Panik has 1 point in 6 games while Hagelin has 0. They have 8 and 6 shots on goal, respectively. As with last year, neither are performing terribly well in relation to their contracts. The difference, beyond the PK, is that Panik is getting physically involved this season and Hagelin isn't, and Panik seems to end up in more scoring chances on his line whereas offense seems to die on Hagelin's stick even worse than last year. I think if they were each paid half what they're getting, no-one would be complaining about what they bring, particularly.

*Although while Hagelin's 21 minutes SH TOI so far is sixth amongst NHL forwards, his 14.26 GA/60 when shorthanded isn't great compared to a lot of the other guys getting heavy SH time. The PK is getting a lot of work, but also isn't really performing. Lars Eller is roughly the same, whereas Dowd, Wilson and Hathaway haven't been scored on yet in the 7:00-11:49 mins they've been on the PK. Luck and the defensive pairings probably play a part in this disparity, but six games in the main PKers don't seem to be getting it done for whatever reason.

Panik played right wing as did Hagelin. Dowd and Backstrom were shorthand for the entire group of 6 players.

You can compare the 2 players all you like. That wasnt my point. My point was that in the past 2 games Hagelin played at or over 20 mins. He played a lot more than Panik. Dowd's ice time was at or above Eller's number. Given Kuzy being out of the lineup would be significant.

Why do you suppose that was? It wasnt an accident. The same usage presented two games in a row. I suggested it was a special checking plan for Eichel. If it wasnt special for the opponent, it is a change in usage for those players.

Going forward I am guessing that Hagelin Dowd and Hathaway stay together and that Panik Eller Oshie will return together when Wilson and Ovechkin return. I am not sure what their role and ice time will look like.

What do you think?

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
You can compare the 2 players all you like. That wasnt my point. My point was that in the past 2 games Hagelin played at or over 20 mins. He played a lot more than Panik.

With respect, how is that not a comparison? Hence my confusion...

Panik played right wing as did Hagelin. Dowd and Backstrom were shorthand for the entire group of 6 players.

You can compare the 2 players all you like. That wasnt my point. My point was that in the past 2 games Hagelin played at or over 20 mins. He played a lot more than Panik. Dowd's ice time was at or above Eller's number. Given Kuzy being out of the lineup would be significant.

Why do you suppose that was? It wasnt an accident. The same usage presented two games in a row. I suggested it was a special checking plan for Eichel. If it wasnt special for the opponent, it is a change in usage for those players.

Going forward I am guessing that Hagelin Dowd and Hathaway stay together and that Panik Eller Oshie will return together when Wilson and Ovechkin return. I am not sure what their role and ice time will look like.

What do you think?

Panik played right wing last game but Hagelin was on the left (with Hathaway on his right). I agree with you that the Hagelin–Dowd–Hathaway line is being used as a checking line against top lines, which is what a lot of us hoped would happen last year (as the fourth line doesn't have the offensive firepower to allow Eller's usual third line to be defense-first, which is what the current form of Hagelin is built for). I'm not convinced we'll see them play 15-20 minutes a game once Kuzy, Ovi and Wilson are all back, but having that trio as a second option to take on top lines is very welcome. It's certainly what worked for us during/in the run up to the Cap.

What isn't clear right now, though, is what kind of identity a Panik or Eller line is meant to hold. Panik is pretty responsible in two-way play, at least compared to the Sprongs and Vranas, but I'm less convinced that he can be an effective point getter without two strongly offensive guys on his line (e.g. Backstrom and Oshie, or Kuzy and Vrana). But, as with Hagelin and perhaps Jensen, he's too expensive not to be at least capable at an all-round game, because it prevents us getting a guy who can put up numbers if we still only have 6/7 guys who are naturally offensively capable.

I think Panik is playing well, broadly, but we need three scoring lines. Having Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway as a shutdown line takes a lot of pressure off a guy like Vrana (and to a lesser extent Backstrom and Oshie/Wilson), but Panik–Eller–Sheary/Sprong isn't going to cut it as a third line when all the pieces are back together.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With respect, how is that not a comparison? Hence my confusion...

Panik played right wing last game but Hagelin was on the left (with Hathaway on his right). I agree with you that the Hagelin–Dowd–Hathaway line is being used as a checking line against top lines, which is what a lot of us hoped would happen last year (as the fourth line doesn't have the offensive firepower to allow Eller's usual third line to be defense-first, which is what the current form of Hagelin is built for). I'm not convinced we'll see them play 15-20 minutes a game once Kuzy, Ovi and Wilson are all back, but having that trio as a second option to take on top lines is very welcome. It's certainly what worked for us during/in the run up to the Cap.

What isn't clear right now, though, is what kind of identity a Panik or Eller line is meant to hold. Panik is pretty responsible in two-way play, at least compared to the Sprongs and Vranas, but I'm less convinced that he can be an effective point getter without two strongly offensive guys on his line (e.g. Backstrom and Oshie, or Kuzy and Vrana). But, as with Hagelin and perhaps Jensen, he's too expensive not to be at least capable at an all-round game, because it prevents us getting a guy who can put up numbers if we still only have 6/7 guys who are naturally offensively capable.

I think Panik is playing well, broadly, but we need three scoring lines. Having Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway as a shutdown line takes a lot of pressure off a guy like Vrana (and to a lesser extent Backstrom and Oshie/Wilson), but Panik–Eller–Sheary/Sprong isn't going to cut it as a third line when all the pieces are back together.

The problem with using your 4th line to check the opposing 1st line is that you effectively elevate them up from 4th to 3rd or 2nd. Eichel plays a lot. Dowd's line being out when they are out pushes their toi up to first line levels. It also forces the Caps into a defensive posture when Eichel is out. Now, Hathaway and Dowd both scored goals and Hagelin had chances. A reason Trotz used Backstrom in that role was that it allowed him to keep an offensive threat on the ice at 1st line levels.

If the Dowd line gets that assignment going forward, and they did well against Eichel, Eller's line will become the defacto 4th line. There is only so many minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad