Value of: Rhs Dman to Calgary

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
What would it take for Calgary to grab one of Manson(Ana) or Dumba(Minn) like right now, what would either team want?

And on another hand what would Hainsey cost from Ott?

I'd be willing to bring in one of the righties and Hainsey for the playoff push, both Dumba and Manson play solid all around games but not spectacular in a certain area. Imo

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
What would it take for Calgary to grab one of Manson(Ana) or Dumba(Minn) like right now, what would either team want?

And on another hand what would Hainsey cost from Ott?

I'd be willing to bring in one of the righties and Hainsey for the playoff push, both Dumba and Manson play solid all around games but not spectacular in a certain area. Imo
Isn’t calgary deep on defense?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Well for this year kinda... but we haven't had Valimaki all season due to injury and im pretty sure Gio is out for 4-8 weeks, hopefully it's nothing bad though. But after this season both Brodie and Hamonic are UFA's and Anderson is our only top prospect, we have Yeselin* whos a righty but id say max #4/5 guy... so my interest in Manson/Dumba would be for the future, Hainsey for the playoff push. Always good to strengthen your team, we get Manson, we can trade Hamonic for a rhs forward

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Seems like they should call Buffalo for one of their 3927 right handed shooting defensemen.

I would have zero interest in Risto, maybe some in Bogo? But retention?
Actually how about Montour? Any interest in trading him?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Not this year.

- Giordano is our best LD, and he's excellent. But he hasn't been very effective offensively this year as his shot just hasn't been dangerous whether that's on the powerplay or even strength. We badly need him to channel his Norris form. At least he's solid defensively though. But he just got injured and we don't know how long or whether he'll be solid when he returns.

- Brodie is our best RD, and he's excellent. But he's a lefthanded shot and the coaches think that every time a LD gets injured it's time to plop Brodie back on the left side where he's not so excellent.

- Andersson is our second best RD, and he's pretty good. But he's also relatively unproven when elevated up the lineup and generally plays on our 3rd pair with the occasional bump-up game.

- Kylington is our second best LD, and he's pretty damn good. Occasionally has a rough outting with respect to turnovers which is typical for a high-skill D his age but overall he's a future star in the waiting and he's pretty solid right now. But he's also unproven up the lineup as the team mistakenly treats him with kid gloves instead of feeding him tons of icetime to get better and more confident.

- Valimaki is our third best LD, and he's pretty damn good. He's also injured.

- Hanifin is our fourth best LD, and he can be good... but he's played too high up the lineup given his unspectacular toolset/skillset. His so-called smooth skating doesn't really tend to have the impact of the skating of any of the five players above him on this list, and his reads without the puck tend to err on the side of cringeworthy.

- Hamonic is our third best RD, and he's not what he used to be. I don't know if it's injuries, or mental, or just age-related wear-and-tear, but he's been unable to play an aggressive defensive game all year and it's been our team's achilles' heel because he logs top 4 minutes but has barely looked like a top 6 regular, if that. If this were Hamonic from a calendar year ago, it would be a different story. But sometime near the end of last season his play fell off, and this carried through to an atrocious playoff series and he hasn't been able to recover all year.

- Stone is our fourth best RD, and he's been sketchy at-best. Just doesn't seem to have the defensive hockey IQ or footspeed to be a net positive. When he's in the game and Hamonic is as well, that means they combine to be a cakewalk into our defensive zone. He wouldn't be the worst #6 to have if all the other five were great, but the struggles of Hamonic and Hanifin really magnify Stone's struggles.

- Yelesin is our fifth best RD. If you just asked "who?" - there's a reason for that. He's a Russian who's spent most of the season in the AHL and to call him unproven would be an understatement. Trading Adam Fox away along with Dougie Hamilton really cannibalized our right side depth.

- Davidson is our fifth best LD. He's actually a perfect depth piece. We may need to call him up with the Giordano injury. The biggest problem with Davidson isn't Davidson, it's the fact that he's a left D and rarely draws into the lineup with the team's inane decision to play Brodie on the left side or to never scratch Hanifin when he's being a liability.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Montour + Sheary/Vesey for

Janks(1.9M/in for cap this year)
+ 1st 20
+ Prospect?(pick 3 of our intriguing prospects and we can arrange it)
+ 3rd 20
+ 3rd/2nd/1st 21(3rd that turns into a 2nd if we resign Vesey/Sheary or make the Semifinals, turns into a 1st if we make the Semifinals and resign)

???

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Not this year.

- Giordano is our best LD, and he's excellent. But he hasn't been very effective offensively this year as his shot just hasn't been dangerous whether that's on the powerplay or even strength. We badly need him to channel his Norris form. At least he's solid defensively though. But he just got injured and we don't know how long or whether he'll be solid when he returns.

- Brodie is our best RD, and he's excellent. But he's a lefthanded shot and the coaches think that every time a LD gets injured it's time to plop Brodie back on the left side where he's not so excellent.

- Andersson is our second best RD, and he's pretty good. But he's also relatively unproven when elevated up the lineup and generally plays on our 3rd pair with the occasional bump-up game.

- Kylington is our second best LD, and he's pretty damn good. Occasionally has a rough outting with respect to turnovers which is typical for a high-skill D his age but overall he's a future star in the waiting and he's pretty solid right now. But he's also unproven up the lineup as the team mistakenly treats him with kid gloves instead of feeding him tons of icetime to get better and more confident.

- Hanifin is our fourth best LD, and he can be good... but he's played too high up the lineup given his unspectacular toolset/skillset. His so-called smooth skating doesn't really tend to have the impact of the skating of any of the five players above him on this list, and his reads without the puck tend to err on the side of cringeworthy.

- Hamonic is our third best RD, and he's not what he used to be. I don't know if it's injuries, or mental, or just age-related wear-and-tear, but he's been unable to play an aggressive defensive game all year and it's been our team's achilles' heel because he logs top 4 minutes but has barely looked like a top 6 regular, if that. If this were Hamonic from a calendar year ago, it would be a different story. But sometime near the end of last season his play fell off, and this carried through to an atrocious playoff series and he hasn't been able to recover all year.

- Stone is our fourth best RD, and he's been sketchy at-best. Just doesn't seem to have the defensive hockey IQ or footspeed to be a net positive. When he's in the game and Hamonic is as well, that means they combine to be a cakewalk into our defensive zone. He wouldn't be the worst #6 to have if all the other five were great, but the struggles of Hamonic and Hanifin really magnify Stone's struggles.

- Yelesin is our fifth best RD. If you just asked "who?" - there's a reason for that. He's a Russian who's spent most of the season in the AHL and to call him unproven would be an understatement. Trading Adam Fox away along with Dougie Hamilton really cannibalized our right side depth.

- Davidson is our fifth best LD. He's actually a perfect depth piece. We may need to call him up with the Giordano injury. The biggest problem with Davidson isn't Davidson, it's the fact that he's a left D and rarely draws into the lineup with the team's inane decision to play Brodie on the left side or to never scratch Hanifin when he's being a liability.

I agree with almost everything except the LD ranking 2-4 id say Hanifin-Kylington-Valimaki(until he plays more NHL games) Kylington is excellent for playing weaker comp and less TOI, but Hanifin and Hamonic have had a rough year, everyone sees it, its time to split them up ...

I say with Gio out, let Hanifin and Anderson take the top pair with Kylington and Brodie as the 2nd pair and Stone-Hamonic as the 3rd hopefully the chemistry arises

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Well for this year kinda... but we haven't had Valimaki all season due to injury and im pretty sure Gio is out for 4-8 weeks, hopefully it's nothing bad though. But after this season both Brodie and Hamonic are UFA's and Anderson is our only top prospect, we have Yeselin* whos a righty but id say max #4/5 guy... so my interest in Manson/Dumba would be for the future, Hainsey for the playoff push. Always good to strengthen your team, we get Manson, we can trade Hamonic for a rhs forward
I feel like you guys have way bigger needs than D. And Brodie should be easy to re-sign.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I feel like you guys have way bigger needs than D. And Brodie should be easy to re-sign.

Well a lot of people think we'll probably resign Brodie, but if we got someone like Montour, it'd show him not to ask for to much, i don't think he deserves much of a raise... and our only major need is someone to help spark up the 3rd line/2nd line which is why i made the 2 for 5 proposal

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Hainsey hasn't been so good you don't want him.

Edmunson could be had for a 2nd and can play both sides.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Not this year.

If you're looking for offense on the blue line, how about berrie?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hainsey is more a role guy now ,he can fill in ..But you likely dont want him in a top 4 role for too long ...That being said he is likely available for peanuts

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Friedman's recent quotes (below) made it sound like the Ducks really don't want to move Manson. With all due respect, looking at the Flames prospect pool and young talent they could realistically offer, I just don't see any chance of them being the team that steps up with the type of "too good to pass up" offer that it would take to pry this player away.

There are several teams who would be shocked if Anaheim dealt Josh Manson.
“Your wife does not love you as much as the Ducks love him,” one GM said. (My wife doesn’t know anything about Manson, but admitted this is probably true.)
Trading Manson would also eliminate some serious edge and attitude from an organization that strongly identifies with those character traits.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Friedman's recent quotes (below) made it sound like the Ducks really don't want to move Manson. With all due respect, looking at the Flames prospect pool and young talent they could realistically offer, I just don't see any chance of them being the team that steps up with the type of "too good to pass up" offer that it would take to pry this player away.

There are several teams who would be shocked if Anaheim dealt Josh Manson.
“Your wife does not love you as much as the Ducks love him,” one GM said. (My wife doesn’t know anything about Manson, but admitted this is probably true.)
Trading Manson would also eliminate some serious edge and attitude from an organization that strongly identifies with those character traits.
I'm not sure I'm all that convinced. Honest question, how close would you say the ducks are to being a competitive team right now?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Bennett + Jankowski + conditional pick for Pageau and DeMelo

Condition being it is a 2nd, but if the Flames make the post season it becomes a 1st.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm not sure I'm all that convinced. Honest question, how close would you say the ducks are to being a competitive team right now?

They aren't tanking and trading away everything that isn't nailed down. They are far enough away from being competitive without selling off core pieces. If they are trading Manson, it's because someone made an offer they are convinced will make the team better in the near future - not for a collection of expendable mildly interesting futures.

HFboards would have a hard time accepting this, but trading away pieces like Manson and Rakell for the type of late 1st + B prospect offers that are continually made here, would have a very low chance of actually making the Ducks a better hockey team at any point. They could get good value for these players in a year or two when they are closer to free agency and not drive the team further into futility in the mean time.

I'm not saying Manson 100% does not get traded, but if he does it's because a team really stepped up and pried him away. Calgary doesn't have the prospect pool to be that team IMO.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
They aren't tanking and trading away everything that isn't nailed down. They are far enough away from being competitive without selling off core pieces. If they are trading Manson, it's because someone made an offer they are convinced will make the team better in the near future - not for a collection of expendable mildly interesting futures.

HFboards would have a hard time accepting this, but trading away pieces like Manson and Rakell for the type of late 1st + B prospect offers that are continually made here, would have a very low chance of actually making the Ducks a better hockey team at any point. They could get good value for these players in a year or two when they are closer to free agency and not drive the team further into futility in the mean time.

I'm not saying Manson 100% does not get traded, but if he does it's because a team really stepped up and pried him away. Calgary doesn't have the prospect pool to be that team IMO.
He's 28 years old and will be 30 when he needs a new contract on a rebuilding team. I'm not saying they have to sell them for whatever they can get but I can see him being used to acquire younger or future assets

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's 28 years old and will be 30 when he needs a new contract on a rebuilding team. I'm not saying they have to sell them for whatever they can get but I can see him being used to acquire younger or future assets

He's signed for another two seasons after this and the team loves him. Like I said, if they trade him for younger assets, it will be because someone really made an attractive offer. The Flames don't have a high end prospect pool, their top young talent is already entrenched in key roles. The best deal they can likely come up with would almost surely be beaten by a team with a high ceiling ELC player the likes of which the Flames don't have to offer.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
He's signed for another two seasons after this and the team loves him. Like I said, if they trade him for younger assets, it will be because someone really made an attractive offer. The Flames don't have a high end prospect pool, their top young talent is already entrenched in key roles. The best deal they can likely come up with would almost surely be beaten by a team with a high ceiling ELC player the likes of which the Flames don't have to offer.
I'm not even referring to the flames, I just mean in general

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad