Prospect Info: RHD Calen Addison - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The slightly undersized Canadian defenseman has always caught my eye this year. Starting with the Hlinka tournament where he lead the stacked defense in points over players like Smith, Bouchard, Merkley, etc., Addison had always impressed me during viewings. I can see him growing another inch or two for sure and he'll need to gain some muscle mass, but the offensive defenseman has a good deal of potential. Calen is a great skater who transitions the puck very smoothly with great speed. He doesn't take very many risks and is safe with the puck. Addison is a strong competitor with a great work ethic who is a great passer, but he excels the most creating plays in the offensive end and making transition offense magic on the fly. Calen can QB the powerplay and has a decent shot that could gain some velocity. Obviously Calen is a little on the small side, but I believe he has the tool box to adjust well to the NHL.
Potential: #3 Defenseman
Possibility: Medium
Source

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
2018 NHL Draft prospect profile: Calen Addison is all offence all the time

"
Calen Addison’s approach to the defensive game is to use his stick to strip the puck from attacking forwards, either using his mobility to keep up with them in one-one-one situations or darting in and out of board battles to create a change in possession.

When this doesn’t work, he’s turned into a spectator on the ice as opponents head unabated on their path to his net. A situation that had been under control quickly becomes a prime chance against, likely leaving many observers questioning whether the 5’10” defenceman is playing the right position.

When it does work, and Addison is now in control of the puck, there are few who can match his abilities in the 2018 draft class."

Oh he'll fit right in . . .

In 3 years, we'll be hearing the stories about how he's stuck in WBS because of his defense.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I mean he produced better than a lot of CHL forwards drafted higher than him, even in the 1st round.

With Cozens & Bellerive Lethbridge should be a good team again next year, so he should even improve on those numbers.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sounds like their are some question marks round his defensive game, not that that is surprising as players in this part of the draft always have warts. He's a guy with a lot of skill which is something you can't teach.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sounds like their are some question marks round his defensive game, not that that is surprising as players in this part of the draft always have warts. He's a guy with a lot of skill which is something you can't teach.

In the WHL playoffs, he scored the most goals (7) and had the highest P/G of any defenseman. Pretty impressive.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Pens attempting to assemble an NES Ice Hockey type of defense with a mix of fat and small guys?

Just looking at the system with Oleksiak, Pedan, Tirnodi, and Prow, Bengsston (gone), Riikola, and now Addison

Calen Addison (D)

Nice pick. Plays with Bellerive in Lethbridge.

Serious questions, do other teams draft players from teams that have other prospects of theirs as much as the Penguins?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Serious questions, do other teams draft players from teams that have other prospects of theirs as much as the Penguins?

Weren't the Rangers meant to be particularly interested in the dman NJD offered for Grabner because he played on the same team as one of their prospects?

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Just imagining Addison feeding Sprong on timers in the future.
I'd like to see this.

That will look good on Seattle. I imagine that we'll be watching Letang turn the puck over while Sheary falls down instead. :trollface: or whatever people need to indicate a joke

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rh shot with offensive skills are in short supply in the system. Can he develop and add needed size and girth? Hopefully but Pens need a player that fits that profile with the loss Bengston to Sweden.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rh shot with offensive skills are in short supply in the system. Can he develop and add needed size and girth? Hopefully but Pens need a player that fits that profile with the loss Bengston to Sweden.

Bengtsson's ceiling was nowhere near Addison's.

It'll be a long time paying off, but hopefully Phillips and Addison gives you at least one high mobility high skill dman.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
IDK about his value relative to Bengsston, but Pens were in need of a RH shot with skill big time. Just no one in the system who looks to be talented enough to make a dent at the next level on D. Not pressing with 5 D men probably here the next 2 to 4 years but the pick makes sense.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Pens attempting to assemble an NES Ice Hockey type of defense with a mix of fat and small guys?

Just looking at the system with Oleksiak, Pedan, Tirnodi, and Prow, Bengsston (gone), Riikola, and now Addison

Pedan is gone too and if Tinordi isn't he soon will be. Either way he'll never see the ice in Pittsburgh. Too big and therefore presumed to be too slow (even if he really isn't) by Penguin mgmt. We don't need no stinkin' size around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad