Prospect Info: RHD Calen Addison - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
"One of the fastest skaters in this draft class"

What we need the most in our system.

This draft class looks much better than last year(where our best picks were in 5th round in Drozg and Ohlund) . Looks like they learned their lesson after drafting Lauzon last year. Hall the year before. When it comes to dmen.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
That's the sort of guy you take a risk on. Maybe his defensive game never makes it, but if it does he'll make an impact rather than being an AHL guy.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Weak defensively and likes to jump in the play you say? I swear we already have this player but I can't think of his name :sarcasm:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

This draft class looks much better than last year(where our best picks were in 5th round in Drozg and Ohlund) . Looks like they learned their lesson after drafting Lauzon last year. Hall the year before. When it comes to dmen.

It could also be the result in the change from Randy Sexton as Director of Amateur Scouting to Patrik Allvin.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Forgot I had The Hockey News Draft special magazine. Opened it up to the middle page and there is Calen Addison ranked 45. They gave his details and a little write up etc and at the bottom is "Best case" of who they could be like. Calen's, Kris Letang :laugh:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Forgot I had The Hockey News Draft special magazine. Opened it up to the middle page and there is Calen Addison ranked 45. They gave his details and a little write up etc and at the bottom is "Best case" of who they could be like. Calen's, Kris Letang :laugh:

:eek:

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

At least Lauzon can skate and defend. I honestly don't think Hall is good at anything.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Pouliot was also compared to Kris Letang.

Edit : Not saying Addison won't be a great dman. I just don't like how often our newly drafted dmen get compared to Letang right away.

Last edited:

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
From CBS sports.com grade on the pens 2018 draft. It's sad when CBS sports NHL coverage is better than ESPN.
Pittsburgh Penguins: B+

They didn't have a pick in the first round, and yet they still left with a pair of well-rounded prospects on both sides of the ice after the second. Would anyone really be surprised if both Calen Addison and Filip Hallander were postseason players one day?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
1. ESPN is still mad at the NHL and gives horrible coverage because of it.

That's it, just 1.

I think the kid will get better defensively and he's compared to Letang because teams often do that, any time a guy that is a certain type, going to a team, they'll compare him to that certain type. Letang, I mean holy crap, people act like last year was him every year as a Penguin. The same people that pumped his tires prior to this past season saying how good he is, now are acting like the guy has been an abomination of a player forever.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Addison's got some growing to do to have a Letang like ceiling imo. I can well believe that's his ceiling in attack, but the ability to play 20+ minute a night against opposition best? He's almost definitely gonna have to be bigger and a lot stronger to do that.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Letang came to mind quite a bit when I watched Addison... but at the end of the day, I dont think it is an accurate comparison. Offensively, sure. But defensively, Letang can- and does quite often- do it all. I don't think Addison ever gets to that point.

That said, who really knows. If the NHL knew what Letang would turn into, he certainly would not have been a 3rd rounder. It is possible that Addison takes a similar leap, though I don't think it is very likely.

And that is ok. Addison is a 2nd round pick- Getting a #3 (which is what I think he becomes) RHD that can run the PP is freaking awesome for a 2nd. You take that and run.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I was hoping for Hållander (who we somehow also got), or Berggren with number 53. But that was before day 2 started. I never would have guessed Addison would be available still.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
It could also be the result in the change from Randy Sexton as Director of Amateur Scouting to Patrik Allvin.

I did see a tweet noting that Buffalo's later defenseman picks were all the stay at home types we took under Sexton.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As opposed to Letang, if Addison take a less-is-more approach to defending, he will pan out rather nicely. The way Letang plays hockey cannot be recommended to others because he is a special kind of athlete on skates. Or should I say he was a special kind of athlete on skates. Few can do it all at Letang's size, and not many have even tried.

This was a great pick, and proof that the draft was loaded with smallish/puck-moving/offensive D-men, so you kinda understand why teams paid a premium earlier on to take a different type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad