Prospect Info: RHD Calen Addison - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Worst thing I’ve heard about Addison is him getting bumped to the 3rd pair in Lethbridge because his D zone play wasn’t up to par but it was shortlived and his play improved. In interviews he sounds extremely mature.. no short, canned answers, very thoughtful ones.

I'm excited for the kid. I know he fell into our laps, much of the same way Legare did. I can't really remember the last time we had a defenseman in the pipeline who had legitimate potential to put up some big points. If all goes well, maybe we have the opportunity to play him like Nashville played Ryan Ellis back when he first broke in. I think that did Ellis a world of good and we can all see how that paid off for Nashville.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Whatta scrub. Everyone knows you get drunk on Devil’s Night and just keep going until All Saints’ Day.

In hindsight, clearly a red flag about Pouliot’s work ethic.
Well that same articles that Pixels posted says the guy also played himself off a chance to be in the NHL that year, so it was like he was spiralling, Sully didn't seem to do anything with him either and no other team has been able to turn his dumb ass into an NHL'er.

Pouliot's issue has always been his weak af mental game. Calen's issues seem like just experience and not adding size yet, things you get from the off season after your last year in Juniors and before your first pro season. I like the kid and his mental game isn't dumb as bricks like Pooh.

Although my fav defensive prospect since Letang was Simon Despres, I absolutely hate how that all went down.

Teiran

May 22, 2008
Houston, TX
I only watched a couple of the games and only small segments, but I can’t recall him being on the ice for more than 1 GA. Is there someway to figure that out?

IIHF - Statistics 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship

Addison took a single minus in the tournament (against the Czechs in a 7-2 win), and he wasn't used on the penalty kill, so... yeah, 1 GA total. He was also on for 12 of Canada's 14 PP goals.

I guess this speaks more to a favorable deployment than anything else, but he certainly showcased his strengths, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens and Flames

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The other thing is that this season an undrafted D has outproduced him. His numbers have held steady since his draft season; on one hand, he’s been steady through the team not being as good, but on the other he hasn’t improved. The good is that he obviously performed under pressure in the WJC this year.

I think that says more about Cotton than it does Addison. And maybe also more about who gets to play more with Cozens on a talent stripped team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And that’s not surprising. His defensive game and consistent interest in it were always concerns. That’s likely going to be a process to get to something reliable enough regardless of maturity. From what I saw of his WJC, it’s the same thing you’d see with Daley and Schultz, the real problem area is when a cycle gets started and they’re pinned in. His skating should help avoid some of those situations, though.

I’m not sure he’s made much improvement on his weaknesses and that’s concerning. Every time I’ve seen him, he still looks like he needs to add strength and if that does improve, it won’t happen in his juniors time. He and POJ will form a little club down there. The other thing is that this season an undrafted D has outproduced him. His numbers have held steady since his draft season; on one hand, he’s been steady through the team not being as good, but on the other he hasn’t improved. The good is that he obviously performed under pressure in the WJC this year.
That's looking at his stats. Anyone that sees his game more regularly, has he not improved with his defensive game? Is he being used differently this year vs previous years?

Does it really matter if his stats aren't insane this year? If he's still putting up his usual numbers, which are fantastic btw, that's still a damn good thing for a prospect like him. I am more curious if he's worked on other things while still maintaining his usual production. There are some that are over agers that explode and while that's great, those guys don't often make it far, consistency might not be a bad thing when it comes to Addison and his game.

In any case, if anyone has any input on his actual game and how it's evolved in the last 3 seasons, that'd be great.

Because I remember an article on PG by Vensel about Addison knowing what he needs to work on, Pens being encouraging, and him wanting to get stronger so he can handle the size and speed of the NHL. Now if he's maintained his normal PPG pace while getting better defensively?

I don't give a f*** if he's not the #1 producing defender on his team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And that’s not surprising. His defensive game and consistent interest in it were always concerns. That’s likely going to be a process to get to something reliable enough regardless of maturity. From what I saw of his WJC, it’s the same thing you’d see with Daley and Schultz, the real problem area is when a cycle gets started and they’re pinned in. His skating should help avoid some of those situations, though.

I’m not sure he’s made much improvement on his weaknesses and that’s concerning. Every time I’ve seen him, he still looks like he needs to add strength and if that does improve, it won’t happen in his juniors time. He and POJ will form a little club down there. The other thing is that this season an undrafted D has outproduced him. His numbers have held steady since his draft season; on one hand, he’s been steady through the team not being as good, but on the other he hasn’t improved. The good is that he obviously performed under pressure in the WJC this year.

On a positive note, we have a long and storied history of drafting guys who play on the same junior/college team as our prospects so there's a good chance the undrafted d ends up in our pipeline anyway.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If an offensive defenseman is a legit pro (AHL or NHL prospect) he is going to put up numbers in Jr. If Addison is putting up big numbers AND he is playing tough defensive mins, that is much more impressive.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On a positive note, we have a long and storied history of drafting guys who play on the same junior/college team as our prospects so there's a good chance the undrafted d ends up in our pipeline anyway.

Ironically that gets more likely if we trade Addison. I don't know much emphasis they put on team need when drafting but trading Addison's the difference between an awkward logjam and there being a space.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ironically that gets more likely if we trade Addison. I don't know much emphasis they put on team need when drafting but trading Addison's the difference between an awkward logjam and there being a space.

TBH, I don't think we have to worry too much about a logjam on RHD when drafting. A lot can change, particularly with a very injury-prone 32 year old #1 d.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
TBH, I don't think we have to worry too much about a logjam on RHD when drafting. A lot can change, particularly with a very injury-prone 32 year old #1 d.

I wouldn't pay it too much mind myself - maybe ponder a little on the possibility you'd have three or four RD prospects in WBS at the same time, that's not ideal, but it's not likely and if they're all demanding time you've got tradebait.

But the org? I'm not going to claim I know what they're thinking, their drafting pattern feels weird as hell at times, but it could cross their mind.

I guess there's also the other small consideration that if Addison isn't traded, we're probably using draft picks, making it less likely we select Cotton that way too :laugh:

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad