GDT: RG: FLYERS vs. Islanders, Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 7:05 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Was going to comment on every player, but I'll just pick half for those who couldn't see the game, hope my betters will correct my mistakes:

- Ratcliffe/Frost/Fara:bee: showed the most chemistry and creativity of any line/pairing and the future remains bright. Some great forechecking, they always get easy zone entries, and I even saw some feisty (effective!) PK work last seen under Lavi. Frosty had a few careless plays / brain farts but was undeterred -- he was really feeling himself tonight. The wingers seem to have a real "U mad bro?" trolling energy that I hope can be this effective as the NHL gets younger.
- Strome's skating has visibly improved but we're not there yet. Some nice ideas in his passing game but seemed to be flat on the ice quite a bit and pushed off the puck easier than he should be. Just not adding much.
- Rubtsov was the best forward tonight, IMO, even taking the two goals away. Effective forecheck, good puck support, good in the corners and around the blue line under pressure. Really would not surprise me if they picked him for a 4th line role -- Frost and Farabee just look younger, and Ruby has a babyface.

- Myers is clearly too good for this level. You'll hear about his puck movement from this game, but I'm thinking about several plays in his back skate where he simply enveloped the attacking forward and whacked the puck away for an entry denial (most notably Bellows). But it's not just his size, he's thinking faster than the others, stepping up faster, better anticipation.
- Kase is a frisky dingo with some finishing ability. Even if he tops out as an AHLer, I'm rooting for him -- a 'gamer', in hockey dinosaur speech.
- Zamula is as advertised, the tools are there, but he really needs the reps.
- Wylie blew a few coverages and had at least one bad pinch but he's easy to cheer for. Just up on his toes and doesn't take half-measures. At this point, however, I wouldn't think about pulling out a contract for him to sign.

- Serdyuk didn't make much of an impact but was certainly willing to try, even if some cross-ices passes were wildly off the mark. Seems like he was manhandled a bit, which is to be expected, I guess?
- Millman always moves feet and occasionally seems like he's going to slash right through the middle for a solo break. Worth keeping an eye on him.
- Laberge, on the other hand, does not move his feet and often telegraphs what he's about to do. Forced a few shots from distance without a screener or passing option, and got turned around a bit on the wall. I want to keep extending the kid chances, but boy, he has so far to go. Hard to consider him a prospect at this point.
- Sandström was rock-solid with economy of movement and often flashed his Forsberg wolf eyes. Ustimenko came in the polar opposite -- did he have the jitters? -- and was incredibly twitchy in the first ten minutes (why move your head when you can just move your eyes?) before settling into a comfortable, impressive finish.

- Our warm bodies to fill out the roster didn't inspire confidence or warrant a second look.
- Isles played a few ECHL scrubs that were really asking for a butt end to the teeth. Runs all night.
- Watching Bellows and Wahlstrom, I'm happy we didn't draft either, both frisky but dumb and I'm not sure they'll be able to outscore their mistakes.
- Refs were, uh, in pre-season form. :shakehead
- MeLVin is clearly minor league material unredeemed by Gritty's jiggling presence.
Mostly agree with this summary. Nice job, IMO. I think the first line was more mercurial, though — some highs, some lows.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks to @CapnZin, @Ghosts Beer, and @Here4ThaList for your summaries. I generally agreed with most of your assessments. I loved Sandstrom's work and hope that the injuries are indeed behind him. Beyond Myers, I was most impressed with Rubtsov and his play in all 3 zones.

The most cringe-worthy point of the game last night was the praise for Gordon's work with the prospects. Fedoruk put the success of Sanheim, Myers, etc., on his coaching. o_O

I get your point, Capn, about Turcotte trying to use his only skill to make an impact (so to speak), but there were plenty of "prove it" Flyers prospects on the ice last night, too. It's here where I'll raise a glass with my fellow dinosaurs and say I was hoping someone would take him on.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Thats fair. Dobson is a heck of a prospect but I didnt notice him much tonight outside of the PP.
I only saw the 3rd, he looked good. My original comment was referring to fans like Dan Silver getting ready to watch the Flyers' prospects annihilate the Isles. It's just over the top. And the Flyers were hampered by having 3 camp tryout Dmen. When the top 4 were on, they were pretty good.

Reactions: Rebels57

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Is Gordon really right guy for the job?
If he does what Fletcher and Vigneault tell him to do. Left to his own devices, he’ll blow things like last night by going too defensive instead of letting the players show their skills; it’s just an exhibition game. The guy has had a taste of being behind an NHL bench and will want to get back there. He’s going to coach for himself and Ws not necessarily to develop his players.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Lazy write-up from someone who was there, but spent a large part of the game trying to fix a kid who decided to be a little bitch about how loud the goal horn was.

Millman is the man. Impressed by his skill and creativity (and skating). He would've dominated the game if he was physically mature. Doesn't seem like his size will ever be an asset though.
I wanted Frost to take on some of the less skilled islanders, and wanted Farabee to get beat in puck battles less against bigger players. I won't lay it on thick, but just know that I am right about Rubstov. Doesnt matter who they play for, I love watching Farabee, Rubstov, and Vorobyev kill penalties. I think we are on the cusp of Richards era exciting PKs.

I am a goalie nerd so I focused on them a lot. Sandstrom looked great and was super quick as advertised. Ustimenko settled in, but clearly has to get more exposure to pro talent. Linus Soderstrom is a guy I root for due to what he has to deal with. Hope he steals some time for Bridgeport. I like how he looked, as there wasn't much he could do on the goals. Skarek is really young and impressed me. Isles have a bit of a log jam too.

Gritty is a national treasure

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's a flipping pond hockey exhibition that as they normally go had one knucklehead out there trying to run people and hurt someone to make a name.

Other than that everyone skates and tries to do things to impress people and doesn't care about the mistakes they make.

I never look at this for game nit picking. It's a appetizer for what's to come over the next couple of weeks (the soup and salad) then comes the main course after that.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Thanks to @CapnZin, @Ghosts Beer, and @Here4ThaList for your summaries. I generally agreed with most of your assessments. I loved Sandstrom's work and hope that the injuries are indeed behind him. Beyond Myers, I was most impressed with Rubtsov and his play in all 3 zones.

The most cringe-worthy point of the game last night was the praise for Gordon's work with the prospects. Fedoruk put the success of Sanheim, Myers, etc., on his coaching. o_O

I get your point, Capn, about Turcotte trying to use his only skill to make an impact (so to speak), but there were plenty of "prove it" Flyers prospects on the ice last night, too. It's here where I'll raise a glass with my fellow dinosaurs and say I was hoping someone would take him on.
Thank you for taking the time to read it, Bernie! I would say, for me, the most cringe-worthy part of the game was hearing Fedoruk say that development in Russia is different because they "shoot more and have accuracy", lol.

In regards to Turcotte, in my viewpoint, I still don't think it's is necessary. Turcotte has been in professional hockey for 4 years. Getting cut 3 times from an AHL team that isn't even good speaks volumes. Plus, in the ECHL he has only amassed 15 points in 95 games.

The players on our Rookie Team with something to prove are McCartney, Golod, Cyr, Comrie, Michel, and Couturier. They're looking for ELCs or to be resigned by the AHL team (Michel- I don't know if he is still under contract, I take it that he signed a 1 year deal out of college last year). Only McCartney plays a similar fashion as Turcotte, however, he didn't play. What good would it do Cyr, Golod, or any one of them to go away from their game to fight someone who is probably fighting for a B6 spot in the ECHL?

As you stated, the antiquated dinosaur viewpoint is still prevalent with some. I would've loved to see Turcotte get a taste of his own medicine, but the people vying for contracts or spots have to pick their fights/spots carefully.

Reactions: BernieParent

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lazy write-up from someone who was there, but spent a large part of the game trying to fix a kid who decided to be a little ***** about how loud the goal horn was.

Millman is the man. Impressed by his skill and creativity (and skating). He would've dominated the game if he was physically mature. Doesn't seem like his size will ever be an asset though.
I wanted Frost to take on some of the less skilled islanders, and wanted Farabee to get beat in puck battles less against bigger players. I won't lay it on thick, but just know that I am right about Rubstov. Doesnt matter who they play for, I love watching Farabee, Rubstov, and Vorobyev kill penalties. I think we are on the cusp of Richards era exciting PKs.

I am a goalie nerd so I focused on them a lot. Sandstrom looked great and was super quick as advertised. Ustimenko settled in, but clearly has to get more exposure to pro talent. Linus Soderstrom is a guy I root for due to what he has to deal with. Hope he steals some time for Bridgeport. I like how he looked, as there wasn't much he could do on the goals. Skarek is really young and impressed me. Isles have a bit of a log jam too.

Gritty is a national treasure
What did Gritty do?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
If Friedman, Bunny and Big T were in the game instead of the players on the 4th line and 3rd d pairing:

1. That Murray dude would have had his clock cleaned
2. Those bad clearing plays would have happened less.
3. Forcheck would have been better
4. Friedmann would really make a difference in the d zone.

I forgot over the summer, how lame Gordon's system really is.

Myers, like everyone else has said: clearly the best player on the ice.

The most complete player was Rubstov. All 3 zones. Misha was pretty good too.

The 3 Amigos were good. Just wait a game or two and they will get much better, especially when Sanheim is paired with them.

Wahlstrom and Bellows were not bad but they both cheat at the blue line.

The really good news,even with the really bad youngsters, we did not see this:

andrew mac.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
If Friedman, Bunny and Big T were in the game instead of the players on the 4th line and 3rd d pairing:

1. That Murray dude would have had his clock cleaned
2. Those bad clearing plays would have happened less.
3. Forcheck would have been better
4. Friedmann would really make a difference in the d zone.

I forgot over the summer, how lame Gordon's system really is.

Myers, like everyone else has said: clearly the best player on the ice.

The most complete player was Rubstov. All 3 zones. Misha was pretty good too.

The 3 Amigos were good. Just wait a game or two and they will get much better, especially when Sanheim is paired with them.

Wahlstrom and Bellows were not bad but they both cheat at the blue line.

The really good news,even with the really bad youngsters, we did not see this:

View attachment 254111

True there was no Orange Starfish on the Quick Froze Water

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My thoughts:

I was disappointed in Frost, this is the kind of game where you'd expect him to excel with his speed, flashed but nothing special.

Ratcliffe was a smoother skater than I expected, you can see potential for continued improvement as he fills out (balancing the high center of gravity) and gets more comfortable with his body, not as good a puck handler as Frost and Farabee, which is no surprise, but didn't seem to struggle passing the puck either.

Farabee just has a feel for the puck, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Needs to get bigger and stronger but we knew that.

Rubtsov showed why he was a 1st rd pick, has a good shot and can skate with top talent. The defensive smarts were there, now he's polishing his offensive repertoire.

Kase flashed some serious speed and skills, if he stays healthy he'll be pushing his way into the NHL this season.

Thought Millman outplayed Zamula, raw but he held his own with older players. No panic in his game.
Zamula had a bad gaffe, he's smooth but nothing jumped out at me, which is why I think he really needs to fill out, lacks the dynamic skating that would let him get away with a stick figure physique.

Comrie had a nice shot for a goal, but #80 was awful on defense.

Vorobyev was solid on the PK, but other than being a good passer didn't jump out 5x5 against younger, smaller players.

Sandstrom looked great, you can see why he was rated above Hart at one point, he's probably more athletic, if he stays healthy and improves his positioning and anticipation he might be the player they lose in the ED (have to expose a goalie and he's eligible).

Ustimenko had a slow start then settled down, no big deal, first game on NA ice and very inexperienced.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
My thoughts:

I was disappointed in Frost, this is the kind of game where you'd expect him to excel with his speed, flashed but nothing special.

Ratcliffe was a smoother skater than I expected, you can see potential for continued improvement as he fills out (balancing the high center of gravity) and gets more comfortable with his body, not as good a puck handler as Frost and Farabee, which is no surprise, but didn't seem to struggle passing the puck either.

Farabee just has a feel for the puck, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Needs to get bigger and stronger but we knew that.

Rubtsov showed why he was a 1st rd pick, has a good shot and can skate with top talent. The defensive smarts were there, now he's polishing his offensive repertoire.

Kase flashed some serious speed and skills, if he stays healthy he'll be pushing his way into the NHL this season.

Thought Millman outplayed Zamula, raw but he held his own with older players. No panic in his game.
Zamula had a bad gaffe, he's smooth but nothing jumped out at me, which is why I think he really needs to fill out, lacks the dynamic skating that would let him get away with a stick figure physique.

Comrie had a nice shot for a goal, but #80 was awful on defense.

Vorobyev was solid on the PK, but other than being a good passer didn't jump out 5x5 against younger, smaller players.

Sandstrom looked great, you can see why he was rated above Hart at one point, he's probably more athletic, if he stays healthy and improves his positioning and anticipation he might be the player they lose in the ED (have to expose a goalie and he's eligible).

Ustimenko had a slow start then settled down, no big deal, first game on NA ice and very inexperienced.
Great observation. Nothing jumps out as making the big club thats forsure.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Man, I completely disagree with you on this one. I have a lot of interest in this season -- interest I wouldn't have if they hadn't signed Hayes and acquired Niskanen.

They've added a proven 2C and first pairing defenseman to a team that has one of the brightest young goalies in the league; Patrick in his third season; Sanheim at 23; Phil Myers at 22; TK and Provorov in their 4th seasons; one of the winningest coaches in NHL history; a few very promising rookies who could make the team; Giroux, Voracek, and Couturier in their primes (or at least still close to it).... This team could explode in a very good way.

I didn't mean the flyers I meant HFboards Flyers. A summer away from all the petty arguments was healthy for the soul. I glance at a few threads and its full blown chaos. I don't think I am ready to come back to this . I need Andrea and Taryn to coax me into giving my fanhood another try.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Frost seemed to make some errant passes. May just be a chemistry issue.

Ratty didn't really stand out in any aspect which was disappointing.

Farabee is a stud.

Last edited:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I didn't mean the flyers I meant HFboards Flyers. A summer away from all the petty arguments was healthy for the soul. I glance at a few threads and its full blown chaos. I don't think I am ready to come back to this . I need Andrea and Taryn to coax me into giving my fanhood another try.
Andrea and Taryn are so last years model we got a new signee

Katie-Emmer-e1568202582517.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad