GDT: RG: FLYERS vs. Islanders, Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 7:05 p.m. ET

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This is going to be a long post. If you don't feel like reading, please skip it.

MY THOUGHTS:

- HOCKEY IS BACK, BABY!!!

- That FFR line was so exciting to watch. Early on in the game they dominated every aspect; offense, back-checking, and so on. Both Frost and Farabee were unlucky with the posts seeing they must've hit the post a combined 5 some times in good scoring opportunities. Ratcliffe's speed surprised me. At times it looked like he was the quickest skater on the ice.

- For those worrying about systematic play... I don't think this game is a good representation. If anything, it would be Gordon's style. The lack of shots and amount of shots by the Islanders wasn't the best thing to see, but the Flyers were taking efficient shots. There was a real Hakstonian Shell vibe going on after the Flyers went up early on.

- One thing I did notice was the overall speed of the Islander Rookie team was much quicker and faster than the Flyers Rookie team.

- I also saw some people mentioning the lack of physicality from the Flyers. Yes, the Islanders players played with intensity where we didn't really give any of it back. Keep in mind that their bowling ball, Yannick Turcotte, has been cut from the AHL team multiple times, has never scored a point in the AHL, and after 2 years in the ECHL... he has amassed a total of 5 goals and 15 points in 95 games.

Most of those Islander players; Murray, Turcotte, MacKinnon, Bribeau, and so on are either competing for a spot on the AHL team or even a spot on the ECHL team, lol. They had a lot more to play for than most of the Flyers team because most already know where they will end up.

----------

Player Observations:

- Morgan Frost: What isn't there to like about this kid?? He might not play the game quickly (a knock has always been pace of play), his mind moves soo quick. He didn't seem to make any bad plays with the puck in the offensive zone. His passes were crisp and his stick work is highly underrated. While this comp. may not be the best judgment to see if his pace of play is suitable for the NHL, I suspect we will see a better representation come the Spring Training games against some NHL level comp.

- Joel Farabee: Another young Flyers stud in the making. Wonderful defensive play... and that's what stood out to me the most. He was quick to get to the boards and battle for the puck or to support a defender. While he was great defensively, I had higher hopes for his offensive game for this level of comp. His shot selection was good, but I don't think he got enough on some of his shots for them to be real difference makers. Plus, a couple of times he tried to do some pretty dekes instead of dumping the puck into the zone and changing which resulted in turnovers. Still had a great game, though.

- Issac Ratcliffe: Wonderful game for the big man... especially early on. The rat must've worked on his skating because it showed tonight. He went to the front of the net and battled, he got into it after the whistle drawing a great penalty which resulted in a PP goal. Just nothing bad to say about his play tonight.

- THE GERM: 2 goal game from Ruby? In my opinion, he looks suitable for a B6 role in the NHL RIGHT NOW. I don't think his play will translate better than the first 2 in this list, however, his time in the NHL should come in this year. Maybe trade one of Raffl or Pitlick and let him see what he can do. Wonderful game. His goal, on the beautiful feed from Myers, was a hard pass to corral, let alone get a good shot off of. Fantastic penalty killing that reminds one of Mike Richards.

- Misha: Another young player that is NHL ready. Sadly, there aren't enough open spots. Good game and solid penalty killing. Misha and Rubtsov make a great PK tandem. In comparison to last year, I think that he was involved more without the puck which is what the coaching staff wanted to see.

- Phil Myers: Man among boys out there. His physical play was smart, efficient, and most importantly... effective. His stick work and long reach created multiple turnovers, yet his impressive defense in this game isn't what stood out to me. The way he handled the puck entering the Ozone and his strength with the puck was quite incredible.
He was definitely targeted this game, seeing the no call Turcotte boarding, yet he still was easily the best player.
Myers controlled the game when the puck was on his stick and it was refreshing to see... similar to a 17-18 Shayne Gostisbehere.

- Wyatt Wylie: SIGN YOUR DAMN ELC! I really liked his game. For a smaller guy, his physical presence was not expected on my part. He had a couple of big hits which surprised me. His tracking was also very good.
At times he looked like a 4th forward instead of a defender... since he was the 2F in the forechecking scheme more than once, lol. Good game. His game is still raw and needs higher comp. seasoning and the AHL would do that pretty well.

- Robert Michel: Yeah... ... ... he should stop playing. One of the worst on ice performances that I've seen.

- Pascal Laberge: I used to be so high on this kid. After this game... I wouldn't resign him. He just looks lost and scared when the going gets tough.

- Felix Sandstrom: What a game. 24/25 saves and they weren't easy. He definitely bailed out the defense multiple times. On breakaways he played aggressive just enough to close the angles on the incoming forwards and his agility was great. He also made a bunch of unorthodox saves.

- Kirill Ustimeko: Yikes. Well, I can't say that about his overall performance. 4/7 saves was not the way he wanted to start, but he soon settled in once the 3rd period started. After that he played quite well.

-----------
Players That I Though Played Well:
Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Vorobyev, Kase, Myers, Zamula, Wylie, and Sandstrom.

Players That I Thought Were Average or Unnoticeable:
Strome, Sedruyk, Millman, Ustimenko, Golod, Cyr, Comrie, and Sushko

Players That I Thought Were Not Good:
Laberge and Couturier

Players That I Thought Were A Disgrace:
Michel
-----------
My Players Of The Game:

1st Star: Phil Myers
2nd Star: German Rubtsov
3rd Star: Kiefer Bellows

HM: Samuel Bolduc, David Kase, and the Second Islander Goalie (I don't know his name).
-----------
HIGHLIGHTS:

Ruby's goal

*Look at Myers on the top left of this video break Blade Jenkins' ankles.*

Comrie's goal

Kase's goal

-----------

If you decided to read, thank you, you deserve a prize. I look forward to our next preseason game against these same Islanders, however, it will be against more NHL Players.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
The first of many, I'm sure.

This game will surely be used to determine who should be in the NHL and who shouldn't.
Lol I dont understand why i'm receiving such hate.

I just think Frost was a tad bit underwhelming in my opinion. The competition is only going to get harder.
I think that he could have performed a bit better.

I loved what i saw from Ratcliffe, Farabee, Ruby, and Voro.

Basically the point is i think theres going to be learning curve for these guys to adapt to the speed. They can't be fancy and dangle through everyone like they do in the juniors.

AHL, should be a good league to develop in. Lets see how many of you fools @ me when he gets sent down.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Im wondering where Berube (goalie) is going to fit. Lyon and Sandstrom seem to be a great 1/2 in the AHL. Guess he will be scratched ?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I was at the game tonight. A fun atmosphere for sure.

After taking a quick glance at the last few pages of this thread, Wyatte Wylie seems very overlooked. I liked him quite a bit.

Farabee, Vorobyev, Myers, Rubtsov, and Sandstrom seemed like the obvious bigger name standouts imo.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was at the game tonight. A fun atmosphere for sure.

After taking a quick glance at the last few pages of this thread, Wyatte Wylie seems very overlooked. I liked him quite a bit.

Farabee, Vorobyev, Myers, Rubtsov, and Sandstrom seemed like the obvious bigger name standouts imo.

Its odd and maybe due to not knowing all of their numbers but I dont remember much from Wylie.

Millman seemed to be involved a lot though.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Its odd and maybe due to not knowing all of their numbers but I dont remember much from Wylie.

Millman seemed to be involved a lot though.
Wylie was quite physical. He was one of the bigger standouts for me.

I’ve never seen a defenseman spend so much time that deep in the ozone.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Don't be hasty, but let's recognize that the Isles aren't chumps. Noah Dobson was the best prospect in the game, and they have a few other pretty good players.

My lasting memories of Dobson from this game were him following Wahlstrom's lead, trying to play hero ball, forcing it 1-on-1, and turning it over like late-period Brian Leetch. And I like the kid!

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sandstrom & Myers were the best Flyers on the ice.

Sandstrom’s quickness is remarkable. As I commented during the game, he looked exactly like the guy who blew me away right after he was drafted & who I thought would be better than Hart & I thought they had stolen the next great Swedish goalie. Watch out if he’s over his injuries. I remember writing a report from his first rookie camp talking about his leg quickness & ability to get up & down incredibly fast. Next camp he wasn’t as sharp & I was worried about his glove, but seems like that may have been his health issues. Extremely promising showing.

Myers is such an athletic freak with his size, strength, & mobility he outclassed everyone else on the Flyers.Was hoping his passing consistency had improved, but it was status quo at least tonight, & he’s not a really fine motor skill guy. Just a big horse who can lug it & engulf on D & that’s quite all right.

Farabee & Frost tried doing too much. I expected that from Frost, thought Farabee might keep it simpler. Farabee was their 3rd best player, though, IMO. His pace, motor, & board play were NHL ready. Just has to cut back on the forced plays, & he will. Frost obviously has excellent vision & touch & can fly when he decides to but I think he needs time in the AHL.

Ratcliffe I thought looked quite good in period 1, but declined as the game went on.

Vorobyev the opposite. I was disappointed early but he cranked up the effort & became one of their top players. His skating has improved. Faster.

Rubtsov stays on the right side of the puck, smart, plays a quiet responsible game with good positioning but flashes impressive skill when opportunity strikes. Top end speed is a worry, though, for when the competition increases. I don’t think it’s a major issue, but it may limit his ceiling.

Based on this one game (& preseason will matter much more) I’d say Myers is a lock; Farabee has a good chance if he cuts down on forced plays; Rubtsov has a chance; & Vorobyev has a chance. They were the most mature players. Frost obviously has a ton of talent, so he could still have a great preseason, but his game didn’t strike me as quite NHL ready. Not that he couldn’t play, but I get the feeling it would be an Edmonton Oilers type situation.

No one else struck me as obviously NHL ready. Overall, the team was slow, & weak positionally & on the boards. They had skill, but not ready quite yet.

Oh, I’ll add Sandstrom *could* be ready really quickly.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lol I dont understand why i'm receiving such hate.

I just think Frost was a tad bit underwhelming in my opinion. The competition is only going to get harder.
I think that he could have performed a bit better.

I loved what i saw from Ratcliffe, Farabee, Ruby, and Voro.

Basically the point is i think theres going to be learning curve for these guys to adapt to the speed. They can't be fancy and dangle through everyone like they do in the juniors.

AHL, should be a good league to develop in. Lets see how many of you fools @ me when he gets sent down.
Same thing happened when a few of us had the audacity to state that Nolan Patrick looked disappointingly slow in his Prospect Game. Of course, he then proceeded to be slow & behind the play for the first 4 months of that season. But God forbid you say anything other than glowing praise about a fan favorite. For all the talk about coaches playing favorites, fans do the same.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Was going to comment on every player, but I'll just pick half for those who couldn't see the game, hope my betters will correct my mistakes:

- Ratcliffe/Frost/Fara:bee: showed the most chemistry and creativity of any line/pairing and the future remains bright. Some great forechecking, they always get easy zone entries, and I even saw some feisty (effective!) PK work last seen under Lavi. Frosty had a few careless plays / brain farts but was undeterred -- he was really feeling himself tonight. The wingers seem to have a real "U mad bro?" trolling energy that I hope can be this effective as the NHL gets younger.
- Strome's skating has visibly improved but we're not there yet. Some nice ideas in his passing game but seemed to be flat on the ice quite a bit and pushed off the puck easier than he should be. Just not adding much.
- Rubtsov was the best forward tonight, IMO, even taking the two goals away. Effective forecheck, good puck support, good in the corners and around the blue line under pressure. Really would not surprise me if they picked him for a 4th line role -- Frost and Farabee just look younger, and Ruby has a babyface.

- Myers is clearly too good for this level. You'll hear about his puck movement from this game, but I'm thinking about several plays in his back skate where he simply enveloped the attacking forward and whacked the puck away for an entry denial (most notably Bellows). But it's not just his size, he's thinking faster than the others, stepping up faster, better anticipation.
- Kase is a frisky dingo with some finishing ability. Even if he tops out as an AHLer, I'm rooting for him -- a 'gamer', in hockey dinosaur speech.
- Zamula is as advertised, the tools are there, but he really needs the reps.
- Wylie blew a few coverages and had at least one bad pinch but he's easy to cheer for. Just up on his toes and doesn't take half-measures. At this point, however, I wouldn't think about pulling out a contract for him to sign.

- Serdyuk didn't make much of an impact but was certainly willing to try, even if some cross-ices passes were wildly off the mark. Seems like he was manhandled a bit, which is to be expected, I guess?
- Millman always moves feet and occasionally seems like he's going to slash right through the middle for a solo break. Worth keeping an eye on him.
- Laberge, on the other hand, does not move his feet and often telegraphs what he's about to do. Forced a few shots from distance without a screener or passing option, and got turned around a bit on the wall. I want to keep extending the kid chances, but boy, he has so far to go. Hard to consider him a prospect at this point.
- Sandström was rock-solid with economy of movement and often flashed his Forsberg wolf eyes. Ustimenko came in the polar opposite -- did he have the jitters? -- and was incredibly twitchy in the first ten minutes (why move your head when you can just move your eyes?) before settling into a comfortable, impressive finish.

- Our warm bodies to fill out the roster didn't inspire confidence or warrant a second look.
- Isles played a few ECHL scrubs that were really asking for a butt end to the teeth. Runs all night.
- Watching Bellows and Wahlstrom, I'm happy we didn't draft either, lively rompers but dumb and I'm not sure they'll be able to outscore their mistakes.
- Refs were, uh, in pre-season form. :shakehead
- MeLVin is clearly minor league material unredeemed by even Gritty's jiggling presence.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad