Revisiting the Hagelin/Etem trade

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I think it might be a case of chemistry with him and this team; I know he was close friends with Brass and Zuke. I could see that having an effect at the start of the year, but not this late. This team needs to wake the eff up and soon.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Hagelin only has 7 points. Etem is garbage though (2pts in 12 games).

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Etem isnt garbage, hes not getting any consistent ice time.

The same people who are saying Etem is garbage have railed against McIlrath, and now with consistent ice time, he's showing something.

Etem needs to play, and he needs to play with guys not named Stoll or Glass.

In an ideal world id like to see Fasth, Moore and Etem as a good consistent 4th line capable of playing in the offensive zone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Etem isnt garbage, hes not getting any consistent ice time.

The same people who are saying Etem is garbage have railed against McIlrath, and now with consistent ice time, he's showing something.
Come on, Inferno. That is not apples to apples. Mclrath showed something in all of his starts. Etem has showed absolutely NOTHING. Even when put on the 2nd line. McI gave one reason to be able to think about more. Etem? Not so much.

Hagelin needed to be moved for cap reasons. True enough. But to bring back an absolute zero like Etem?? It was a bad trade then. It remains a bad trade now.

ZuccsManBun

May 3, 2015
NYC
Come on, Inferno. That is not apples to apples. Mclrath showed something in all of his starts. Etem has showed absolutely NOTHING. Even when put on the 2nd line. McI gave one reason to be able to think about more. Etem? Not so much.

Hagelin needed to be moved for cap reasons. True enough. But to bring back an absolute zero like Etem?? It was a bad trade then. It remains a bad trade now.

This. Hags was a cap centered trade 100% but the fact that we got absolutely zero out of the return is what is most frustrating about the whole thing. Yes, maybe if Etem saw more ice he would be/look better than he does now but he wouldnt be anywhere near making the trade worth it.

As for Hags' numbers with the Ducks, I dont think he wanted to leave NYR and the move affected his play mentally. I'm a firm believer that if you are not truly happy you cannot perform at your 110% peak.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

The longer it carries on without giving him ice time whilst handing to others, yeah it was a bad trade. At least play him this year consistently, and reevaluate after that. AV is stubborn and plays favorites. If AV doesn't see anything in him then he needs to tell Gorton to move him and recoup an asset.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Etem was playing his best hockey before he got sick. He had 3 games in a row where I felt like he was steadily improving, generating some good forecheck, chances, etc.

Then he got sick. The rangers called up Glass, and AV kept him in there, basically resetting whatever progress Etem had made. AV even said that Etem was playign well, and that a sick/injured player shoudlnt lose his job but, Etem did.

Has Etem been a disappointment? Absolutely. In retrospect would I do that trade? No, of course not.

But, I also contend that.. 1)Its still too early to judge Etem, and 2)Etem just hasnt been given any consistent ice time with consistent players to judge him on this team one way or another.

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
33 posts in the thread, Gropp's name is mentioned 3 times.

If you're looking at this trade like it's Etem vs Hagelin, you're doing it wrong. Etem's potential is a bonus here. Is Hagelin at $4m a better trade asset than Gropp even right now? It's very debatable.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In order to warrant consistent play, you should seize the situation. Something he refuses to do.

You can't really seize the situation when you're not put in a role to succeed. Play him with Moore/Stoll/Glass etc... And you won't see much. Just look at Stempniak. He was played on the 4th line last year with non offensive players last year and did nothing. Now he plays with Cammalleri and Henrique and on the powerplay and he's been great. If you really want to see what Etem can be he needs to be played in an offensive role for a period of time. Not just a game or two and then move him down if they don't score.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You can't really seize the situation when you're not put in a role to succeed. Play him with Moore/Stoll/Glass etc... And you won't see much. Just look at Stempniak. He was played on the 4th line last year with non offensive players last year and did nothing. Now he plays with Cammalleri and Henrique and on the powerplay and he's been great. If you really want to see what Etem can be he needs to be played in an offensive role for a period of time. Not just a game or two and then move him down if they don't score.
I understand what you are arguing. However, to warrant ice time with top players, one should show something, anything that would give you hope. Etem has shown Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero. Not on the 4th line. Not on the 2nd.

Playing him on the top lines now when he has demonstrated next to nothing, would be like when Blow played the Tominator on the top lines.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I understand what you are arguing. However, to warrant ice time with top players, one should show something, anything that would give you hope. Etem has shown Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero. Not on the 4th line. Not on the 2nd.

Playing him on the top lines now when he has demonstrated next to nothing, would be like when Blow played the Tominator on the top lines.

I'm not saying play him on the top line just don't play him on the 4th. Even just put him on the third line with Lindberg/Hayes and Stalberg or something. At least then he's with guys who can handle the puck/make some plays/shoot and won't get all defensive zone starts and tough match ups like he will when playing with Moore. It's like when we talked about Miller vs Fast on the 4th line earlier. A 4th line role doesn't suit Millers game at all but it's perfectly fine for what Fast brings.

If you play him on line 4 with Moore/(Stoll)/Glass for 10 minutes a game chances are you won't see much as he'll be hemmed in his own zone a lot and being told to focus a lot on defense.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

If you're looking at this trade like it's Etem vs Hagelin, you're doing it wrong. Etem's potential is a bonus here. Is Hagelin at $4m a better trade asset than Gropp even right now? It's very debatable.

I agree. We can't look at Hagelin vs Etem. Need to look at Hagelin vs Etem & Gropp. That will take more than this season to determine, considering we have the two younger players in this deal, and they will still be developing. This trade isn't "won" or "lost" this season unless something absurdly unbalanced happens, like the Ducks winning the Cup this year and Hagelin getting the Conn Smythe, or the opposite with Etem/Rangers instead.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
1. Hagelin isn't worth 4m a year
2. We got Etem, who is still young (Younger than Fast and Lindberg were a year ago)
3. We moved up in the draft and got Ryan Gropp, who I've seen play live about 5 times last month during my Seattle trip and is a highly underrated prospect

For a cap dump, we did very well. Emerson Etem is now 23 years and 6 months old. When Hagelin was the exact same age, he had 41 NHL games with 9 goals and 13 assists.

Can we please give Etem some time to develop still instead of calling him a bust?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Hagelin mostly plays on the 3rd and even 4th line in Anaheim. He's not doing too well either.

Ryan Gropp was the real prize in that trade. The Rangers needed a natural goal scorer in their system, and he's just that.

^ This

^ This

1. Hagelin isn't worth 4m a year
2. We got Etem, who is still young (Younger than Fast and Lindberg were a year ago)
3. We moved up in the draft and got Ryan Gropp, who I've seen play live about 5 times last month during my Seattle trip and is a highly underrated prospect

For a cap dump, we did very well. Emerson Etem is now 23 years and 6 months old. When Hagelin was the exact same age, he had 41 NHL games with 9 goals and 13 assists.

Can we please give Etem some time to develop still instead of calling him a bust?

^ So much of this!!

Everyone needs to calm down with Etem vs Hagelin. This deal was a cap dump as well as moving up in the draft to pick up a goal scorer in Gropp. Etem is still young and in development. He needs more ice time. Move on people.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I think this was the best that Gorton could get for Hags, to be honest. The rest of the NHL knew the Rangers couldn't re-sign him, so it was a buyers' market, and it took a team like Anaheim who really wanted Hags to get any kind of a decent return.

Etem's never going to live up to the draft-day hype, but that's not his fault. He's a serviceable player and still very young, with a good chance to improve and take a regular shift.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton chickened out this summer, went with "safe" options. The kid he picked up had a pedigree. Stahlberg, Stoll. No potential but you know what you get.

Gorton have a good job. He waited a loooooong time to get it. Why risk anything?? The thing is, it doesn't work like that... The marginals are really small in this league and we really needed a good offseason to have a shot at the cup.

BTW, one thing that we had to move Hagelin. Don't at all think we are pleased with Etem. Unfortunately.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Etem was playing his best hockey before he got sick. He had 3 games in a row where I felt like he was steadily improving, generating some good forecheck, chances, etc.

Then he got sick. The rangers called up Glass, and AV kept him in there, basically resetting whatever progress Etem had made. AV even said that Etem was playign well, and that a sick/injured player shoudlnt lose his job but, Etem did.

Has Etem been a disappointment? Absolutely. In retrospect would I do that trade? No, of course not.

But, I also contend that.. 1)Its still too early to judge Etem, and 2)Etem just hasnt been given any consistent ice time with consistent players to judge him on this team one way or another.

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!

Lets get one thing straight right away. Etem did not lose his job because he got sick. He never played well enough to earn the job in the first place.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lets get one thing straight right away. Etem did not lose his job because he got sick. He never played well enough to earn the job in the first place.
Exactly. When presented with opportunities to show something, Etem has shown absolutely nothing. Mclrath showed you something to where there was thought of seeing more.

Etem is serviceable? At what aspect? Simply being a body on the ice?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Its not like Hagelin is doing much of anything on the ducks anyway. 2 goals and 7 points in almost 30 games. On pace for under 20 points and he was playing on the top 2 lines for most of the start of the season (I can't imagine they still have him there).

They pulled him fron the line and put him back on the third line, not that it's helped his offensive game much.

As for the rest of the thread; I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already.

The move had three components:

1. Getting rid of a salary, without taking on an equal salary.
2. Trying to get some kind of return for Hagelin that can contribute. (Point number one means you're getting a mystery box type player).
3. Moving up to get the player the Rangers wanted in the draft - Gropp.

As for the aftermath:

1. Hagelin is having a bad year, thus far, on a bad team. I think he's better than he's shown, but may not find his game unless he's in a system similar to the one he played in for NY.

2. Etem is still an enigma with some nice tools, but not clearly defined fit at the NHL level. He looks like the type of player who could do very well in a European league. Unless something changes, that's his next destination.

3. Ryan Gropp is quietly on a 40+ goal pace in the WHL, though Barzal is drawing the majority of the attention (and rightly so). He remains a very solid pick and a legit prospect.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Why is this so hard to understand? Spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad