Revisiting the Hagelin/Etem trade

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
this trade baffles me since the summer and is the main reason for our issues this year...carl was a solid 3rd liner with speed who killed penalties, worked the pp, scored the series winner in OT vs the pens at MSG..he did it all..we were the fastest team in the league and we are what seems like the slowest team now...etem is barely an AHL player who is in and out of the line-up and has contributed absolutely zero to this team..we totally got fleeced on this one...totally cannot understand this trade...why on earth was this trade made??

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
this trade baffles me since the summer and is the main reason for our issues this year...carl was a solid 3rd liner with speed who killed penalties, worked the pp, scored the series winner in OT vs the pens at MSG..he did it all..we were the fastest team in the league and we are what seems like the slowest team now...etem is barely an AHL player who is in and out of the line-up and has contributed absolutely zero to this team..we totally got fleeced on this one...totally cannot understand this trade...why on earth was this trade made??

Salary cap. he was never signing long term. Would have had to trade someone.

Now why they didnt get a better return? I dont know

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
It wasn't a hockey trade, it was a salary cap trade. Hagelin is a nice player, but he's a third liner who now makes really good money. We have too many top end salaries to pay him what Anaheim gave him. So they triedto get Etem, but he's not really close to what Hagelin was bringing. If it makes you feel better, I don't think they are happy with Hagelin either.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Hagelin mostly plays on the 3rd and even 4th line in Anaheim. He's not doing too well either.

Ryan Gropp was the real prize in that trade. The Rangers needed a natural goal scorer in their system, and he's just that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It was a cap move. Getting Gropp was a big part of it. Hagelin is not even close to the main reason they're struggling.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
hagelin did a lot for us last year especially in the playoffs...he is sorely missed, we basically lost him for nothing because etem is just that "nothing" we did not get anything close to value in losing hagelin..total fleece job, we are nowhere as quick as we were last year, hagelin forced many many turnovers that resulted in goals and was awesome on the forecheck, we have none of that now, something should of been done to keep him and stay under the cap

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Trading Hagelin was a necessity if they weren't trading Klein. They needed to shed space somewhere. Personally, I would have dealt Klein, dumped Glass in the minors if he couldn't be dealt for cap space, and signed Hagelin to a deal similar to what he got but in all likelihood dealing him following this year. In retrospect, that would have been a disaster to deal Klein with how bad the D has been.

Didn't like the trade at the time but getting Gropp was big. I just personally wouldn't have gotten Etem. I was never a fan of his and we could have found a bottom 6 winger for cheap through free agency. Rather have had another prospect or pick but they opted for a roster player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
hagelin did a lot for us last year especially in the playoffs...he is sorely missed, we basically lost him for nothing because etem is just that "nothing" we did not get anything close to value in losing hagelin..total fleece job, we are nowhere as quick as we were last year, hagelin forced many many turnovers that resulted in goals and was awesome on the forecheck, we have none of that now, something should of been done to keep him and stay under the cap

after scoring the game 5 ot goal in round 1 Hagelin was awful.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
after scoring the game 5 ot goal in round 1 Hagelin was awful.

I think a lot of that had to do with MSL. It's not a coincidence that every line he touched immediately went to ****.

Just re-read context, yeah you're right. Thought it was based on all of his playoffs because last year was the outlier IMO.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
As has been said, strictly a cap move. Only part that bothers me about it is that we sent our pick as well. Thought Etem+2nd for Hags would've definitely been fair. Then again, I guess Carl at that salary isn't too valuable. Wish he got off to a better start in Anaheim.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Its not like Hagelin is doing much of anything on the ducks anyway. 2 goals and 7 points in almost 30 games. On pace for under 20 points and he was playing on the top 2 lines for most of the start of the season (I can't imagine they still have him there).

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yeah, as others said, it wasn't a trade. It was a salary dump where we got something back in return.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
As I said many times last year, that many seemed to almost take offense at, Hagelin is a grossly overrated player who is being grossly overpaid in Anaheim right now. He's a bottom 6 guy with 4th line production making top 6 money. It was a salary cap move. Could we have gotten more? Maybe. But we dumped him off and are better off. That trade isn't at all why we're struggling.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I do like Hagelin as a player and enjoyed watching him play during his time with the Rangers - but he only make sense on your team if he continues to carry a cost-effective cap hit... $4 mil a year is TOO MUCH for a 3rd line player who isn't a consistent offensive presence in your lineup... I wouldn't even want him at $3 mil a year on a longer term deal... Trading him was the right move given his contract status...

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We definitely miss his speed and ability to put pressure on opposing defense. Have to admit havent watched him much this year but he's obviously struggling. In the end was simply a cap move. No way they could afford to keep him. Thankfully we kept Klein. Would have been big mistake to trade Klein and keep hags

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
We definitely miss his speed and ability to put pressure on opposing defense. Have to admit havent watched him much this year but he's obviously struggling. In the end was simply a cap move. No way they could afford to keep him. Thankfully we kept Klein. Would have been big mistake to trade Klein and keep hags

This a million times. Klein has been our only steadily reliable D man this year.

It was a cap move. Getting Gropp was a big part of it. Hagelin is not even close to the main reason they're struggling.

I don't think that was what tailgunner was trying to say.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There were six teams in on Hagelin, I'd love to know what the other deals were since it looks like Murray stuck again and off loaded another bill of goods from ANA

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Etem has been decent for us. We miss Hagelin on the PK but penalty killers are easy to find.

The problems with the Rangers start and end on defense and the horrible contracts we have there. Talking about Hagelin is just dodging the real issue.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Hag´s stats are bad in Anaheim (2 goals and 5 assists and -8) in 29 games. He was obviously a better fit in Rangers, and of course he is better than the numbers in Anaheim show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad