Revisiting the Hagelin/Etem trade

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
One has to ask: for how much longer is a roster spot wasted on Emerson Etem? He is not cut out for the NHL, but would be lost on waivers. What about a conditioning stint in Hartford to at least keep him fresh, or just biting the bullet and waiving Etem? I have a hard time seeing how any qualifying offer will be justified for Etem. For as much flack as Tanner Glass get, at least he's fit for a 4th-line role.

Teams can request a conditioning stint only once per season (per player). Why waste it on Etem now? He can sit for while. Let's see if Megna can build on the game he had yesterday and how things shake out on the trade front first.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Megna is 25, while Etem is only 23...

This is strikingly similar to Del Zotto, who was 23 when we cut bait with him, and at 25 he is now a #3-4 dman on the flyers, and tied his career high in goals (which mind you was set playing for a coach who was uber-defensively minded).

Etem could absolutely be a late bloomer, which means in my eyes he still holds potential.

Are we talking about the same DelZotto who still looks iffy on defense and is still maintaining his up season/down season trend in Philly?

I think DZ serving as Philly's number 3/4 defenseman says more about the team and its defense than the fact that Del Zotto is somehow substantially better than he was with NY.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Are we talking about the same DelZotto who still looks iffy on defense and is still maintaining his up season/down season trend in Philly?

I think DZ serving as Philly's number 3/4 defenseman says more about the team and its defense than the fact that Del Zotto is somehow substantially better than he was with NY.

And Del Zotto still scored more than STEM while playing defense. DZ's been the same player since he was 19, which is still substantially better then ETEM.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Not to mention that DZ showed infinitely more than Etem has, when at the same age.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And Del Zotto still scored more than STEM while playing defense. DZ's been the same player since he was 19, which is still substantially better then ETEM.

No arguments there.

But if he's the same player he's been since he's 19, I don't think that qualifies as a late bloomer. :)

DZ is pretty darn close to the player we cut bait with (as did Nashville).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad