OT: Reviews of the 'tailgate party' down at Maple Leaf Square

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also that bottle in the bottom of the pic is what she was juicing. Some guy next to me picked it up and next to it was a mug with shot glasses. Girl came prepared :laugh:

Man she must've been just pounding that **** back if she passed out at that time. Wtf was going through her head that day? Lets go down to MLSQ with 10,000 other people and just get plastered! woo..sad

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
People are going to be boozing, swearing, having a good time. If someone brings their kid then they have to accept whatever they see or hear. I really don't get parents sometimes.

Parents should just stay home with their kids and watch the game from there, it's like a huge outside bar. Would you bring your kid to a bar to watch the game? Probably not.
i no right

this aint no daycare

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Man she must've been just pounding that **** back if she passed out at that time. Wtf was going through her head that day? Lets go down to MLSQ with 10,000 other people and just get plastered! woo..sad

I wouldn't be surprised if she got alcohol poisoning from that. I actually thought she was concussed at one point when she wasn't moving for 5 mins. She was obviously one of those people who thought they could handle their liquor but obviously couldn't. Tons of people like that on st. Pattys too.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
best night ever down there for game 6... definitely going tomorrow for game 7!!

i'm thinking i'm going to have to get there a lot earlier because i have a feeling loads of people want to be there for game 7.

i arrived at 5:30 today. plenty of time. my friends arrived at 6:15 and they got into the main area. i think if you got there much after that, you probably didn't get into the main section. and the weather was pretty bad today + it was mother's day + sunday.... so tomorrow i'm going super early to make sure i get a spot in that main area!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
it was pretty cold for a bit down there tonight. but before the game, i signed up for a mastercard, and i got a free leafs blanket! that thing was clutch! i wasn't cold at all when i busted that out to wear as a cape. though in the third period, this dude next to me was clearly getting pretty cold so i gave him the blanket/cape .... in all the madness when we won, i forgot to get it back... but it's all good... it served me well for a few hours there and hopefully it prevented this guy from getting hypothermia or something. i hope they'll be there tomorrow so i can sign up for another credit card and get another one of those sweet blankets to take home this time.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I went and did not get into the designated space and ended up staying to the side. I was still leaning on a fence for support.

Let's just say the experience is completely killed by any drunk or high idiots that go to this. It looks nice in the videos and thats why I went but I think it really is an illusion what you see in the video. Before the end of the first (I decided to leave and go to the bar after), I had already seen the following:

1) Guy get angry cause I refused to high five him as a fellow leaf fan (the man was wiping his nose and his face using the same hand after each sip of beer he had)
2) A group was smoking weed and passing it around (the smell was extremely bad) and the smoke was bad. I was very surprised the police did nothing
3) TWO fights in the span of 5 minutes. All four people involved were personally seen drinking from whatever they bought at the LCBO or had some of the weed I mentioned earlier. Definitely one group was looking for trouble as they had friends involved in both fights.
4) Obvious smoking and swearing around kids

If you are thinking of bringing children, get there early and get into the designated area. Do not hang around outside. I personally don't recommend children for the tailgate.

Honestly speaking, not a good experience on my end and very surprised the cops didn't do anything of significance.
Ya cuz people smoke pot and get ragers, go watch Reefer Madness again. I'd like to think with young women passing out from obnoxious drinking & drunken fights the cops might be prioritizing things

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
it seemed a lot like a concert style of atmosphere. obviously people were drinking and smoking and stuff like that. security would pass through the crowd occasionally but they didn't really hassle random people at all.

everyone i met there was really cool and just there to have a good time. it was not unsafe whatsoever. i didn't see anyone trying to start a fight or anything like that.

in terms of bringing kids... it probably depends on the kid and the parent. if you're trying to shelter your kid so that he/she is not exposed to swearing, drunk people, people smoking weed, etc.... then obviously don't bring your kid. otherwise, i don't see why it would be dangerous or anything to bring a kid.

but i didn't see any really young kids there. maybe one 13 or 14 year old kid there with his dad or something. and there were a few 16 year oldish kids there who snuck in alcohol and stuff like that and went crowd surfing... but didn't really seem to bother me or anyone else. they were just being kids and having a good time.

so i had a great time there. everyone around me seemed to have a great time... no problems whatsoever. so that was my experience.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
it seemed a lot like a concert style of atmosphere. obviously people were drinking and smoking and stuff like that. security would pass through the crowd occasionally but they didn't really hassle random people at all.

everyone i met there was really cool and just there to have a good time. it was not unsafe whatsoever. i didn't see anyone trying to start a fight or anything like that.

in terms of bringing kids... it probably depends on the kid and the parent. if you're trying to shelter your kid so that he/she is not exposed to swearing, drunk people, people smoking weed, etc.... then obviously don't bring your kid. otherwise, i don't see why it would be dangerous or anything to bring a kid.

but i didn't see any really young kids there. maybe one 13 or 14 year old kid there with his dad or something. and there were a few 16 year oldish kids there who snuck in alcohol and stuff like that and went crowd surfing... but didn't really seem to bother me or anyone else. they were just being kids and having a good time.

so i had a great time there. everyone around me seemed to have a great time... no problems whatsoever. so that was my experience.

Sounds like the place to watch tonight's game from, weather pending

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd second that notion.

It was wild tonight - quite amazing that in that weather and cold, that THAT many people showed up. The square was filled and closed, yet thousands more stood around the square and watched.

The reaction to the Kessel goal? Well you guys who watched it on TV saw it - the place went absolutely mental. It was incredible. After the game, the party carried out down towards University Avenue. Was amazing.

Definitely the place to be if you are planning on watching the game 7 out.

I'd also suggest that while there is some smoking and harsh language going on around the place, it's still a pretty family-friendly place. There were large sections behind the crowd where a few families were found watching the game and they seemed to all be having a great time.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i wonder what time you'll have to arrive to get a spot in the main section today? i have a feeling that a lot of people will want to be there for tonight's game.... especially if the weather is reasonable.

my guess is that by 6:30 yesterday, you wouldn't have been able to get into the main area (with a 7:30 start time).

so i'm thinking that if you're not there by at least 5pm today... you probably wont get in. but it's hard to say for sure.

i might aim to be there by 4pm.... or even 3pm just to be safe.

i don't know what the capacity is, but it seemed like a few thousand. and there are a few million people in toronto... so do the math.

HackeyFan8

Nov 9, 2011
Maple Leafs Square

Hey fans, I want to make the trip to maple leafs square tonight for game 7!

What time does the gate open? What time should I be there at and do I have to pay to get in?

Any info would be great thanks!!!!

HackeyFan8

Nov 9, 2011
As long as I can get in lol! I think I just heard on CP24 that the gates open at 5?? Might have misheard

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You definitely wanna be their around 330 to 4 if you want to be close. And no its free to get in but beer prices and pizza/poutine prices are a little insane.

Ace88*

Man! I want to go again tonight but i have work til 8 :( last night was absolutely unreal, the spirit of the crowd after we won was just bonkers. The sea of people that took over the York tunnel was amazing, people in cars giving high fives, cops were givin me high fives, it's just so surreal being in a mob riot-level crowd.

If you're not a drinker or a smoker, save yourself a lot of headache and dont go to MLSQ lol. I for one was absolutely plastered and had a great time. The camaraderie (however alcohol-induced it was) was awesome. Security would walk through the crowd confiscating beer cans (only beer cans and bottles, if it was unclear that it was booze they wouldn't/couldnt take it). So if you're gonna go, and you're gonna drink, bring a mixer in a plastic bottle or something.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
bring flame resistant clothing incase the leafs lose and some bandwagonners decide to riot and start things on fire

I'm atleast partially serious

Ace88*

If you have kids, dont bring them. If you dont like bar atmospheres, dont go. If you dont drink and dont like being around drunk people, definitely dont go. If pot scares you, dont go.

Dont buy beer there, that is a stupid waste of money lol. Buy a mickey and grab a bottle of coke or sprite or something and drink that instead.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
bring flame resistant clothing incase the leafs lose and some bandwagonners decide to riot and start things on fire

I'm atleast partially serious

Or don't, and don't pay any more attention to the ridiculous notion in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad