Speculation: Revamping Management and Turning Stones

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Really I think its more of a hockey thing, than a just a Quebec thing, Bergevin had little connection to Quebec
singe leaving Juniors. But the part you said of personal relationships making him more loyal. Did he have any more personal relationships with the guys he hired than other guys. Like I said when a guy like that has been around the NHL for 30 years, player/scout/management etc, there is a connection with everyone, when you played with so many teams.

I agree its a hockey thing, but taken further when you are from Quebec. It would be the same with Ontario or other provinces. MB went through PeeWee and then Bantem and AAA, so of course he played with/against other guys from QC. Everyone will somehow know MB because he has been in hockey for 30 years, and doubly so if they are from QC/French.

I don't know his personal relationships. Many here will point to some tabloid stuff like he is Sly's godfather for his daughter. MT introduced him to his GF and they went on a vacation together. I don't know if its true or not. What I meant was that he liked his group and put a lot of faith in them and gave them a ton of rope even though they were failing. But that can happen even without friendships. If you work with someone and get to like them loyalty builds and its hard to cut the cord.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think Bracco, Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov and Grundstrom were good picks, but they also had a lot of 2nd rounders. I just don't see Montreal's amateur scouting as the area of need if you're dramatically reordering your front office.

yes, not saying they are bad pick but I don’t think they draft better then the tabs since 2015

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I agree its a hockey thing, but taken further when you are from Quebec. It would be the same with Ontario or other provinces. MB went through PeeWee and then Bantem and AAA, so of course he played with/against other guys from QC. Everyone will somehow know MB because he has been in hockey for 30 years, and doubly so if they are from QC/French.

I don't know his personal relationships. Many here will point to some tabloid stuff like he is Sly's godfather for his daughter. MT introduced him to his GF and they went on a vacation together. I don't know if its true or not. What I meant was that he liked his group and put a lot of faith in them and gave them a ton of rope even though they were failing. But that can happen even without friendships. If you work with someone and get to like them loyalty builds and its hard to cut the cord.

For sure but that's the norm, guys like to work with guys they know or worked for before, that doesn't mean someone only hires first friends. Ex I did read that MT introduced him to his GF and all that, which is true that might have made him more loyal, but this would have happened after MT hiring..

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
For sure but that's the norm, guys like to work with guys they know or worked for before, that doesn't mean someone only hires first friends. Ex I did read that MT introduced him to his GF and all that, which is true that might have made him more loyal, but this would have happened after MT hiring..

I don't disagree with you. Especially in hockey which is a testosterone filled business. You will feel more comfortable with guys who have been in the trenches with you or were there for you helping you make it in the NHL.

Im with you that the friend thing is overblow. Everyone says MB is well liked and a joker, he seems like the guy that will have a lot of friends. Everyone knows a guy like that, someone who seems to always know someone wherever they go. I don't think he gave jobs to people out of friendship, but having a relationship with someone gives them an advantage of being hired. Its the same way in all walks of life.

The pertinent question is did MB allow those relationships to get in the way of taking care of business when needed.

He cleaned house this year. His first 4 years went well so calling for heads would of been premature. Last year the team bounced back but still fired the coach. This year it went to crap and most people are gone.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I don't disagree with you. Especially in hockey which is a testosterone filled business. You will feel more comfortable with guys who have been in the trenches with you or were there for you helping you make it in the NHL.

Im with you that the friend thing is overblow. Everyone says MB is well liked and a joker, he seems like the guy that will have a lot of friends. Everyone knows a guy like that, someone who seems to always know someone wherever they go. I don't think he gave jobs to people out of friendship, but having a relationship with someone gives them an advantage of being hired. Its the same way in all walks of life.

The pertinent question is did MB allow those relationships to get in the way of taking care of business when needed.

He cleaned house this year. His first 4 years went well so calling for heads would of been premature. Last year the team bounced back but still fired the coach. This year it went to crap and most people are gone.

Yup and I mean the guy played for so many years/so many teams, I bet he has some sort of connection to most hockey ppl, where if hired ppl would say its his friend.

I mean the hockey world is like that as a whole. Stevie Y has his family memeber scouting, and an old teammate as his Ast GM. Doug Armstrong cried when he fired Hitchcock, who was the coach in Dallas when he was ast GM under Gainey..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The bottom line...............is MB is the problem, and the ONE who should be gone!! Allowing him to stay, seems like a huge mistake.................maybe he is on a short leash, but really, he should have been gone...

You can hire your buddies, if you and your buddies know what they are doing............MB and his buddies, failed miserably with the team he was given. Regression, with this core, is unacceptable.

Jul 6, 2016
There will be limited changes with MB running the show.

He should had been the first to get kicked out.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
And adults really don't make important life decisions based on spite. Not when they have families and careers.

Trump basically ran for President out of spite because Obama made fun of him once during an after-dinner speech. I know he only technically qualifies as an adult, but still.

However in Hunter's case I very much doubt this is at play. Hockey is a small world and burning bridges is never a good idea. If you don't believe me just ask Ted Nolan.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The bottom line...............is MB is the problem, and the ONE who should be gone!! Allowing him to stay, seems like a huge mistake.................maybe he is on a short leash, but really, he should have been gone...

You can hire your buddies, if you and your buddies know what they are doing............MB and his buddies, failed miserably with the team he was given. Regression, with this core, is unacceptable.

But Molson will get better hot dogs at the Bell thats going to solve all the problems! Dijon mustard instead of regular mustard will surely add 20 wins to this team!

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

This is the type of post I was talking about. In regards to saying MB buddies, are you saying that as those are the ppl he hired and is loyal too? Or are you saying they were hired because they were his friends?

Cuz I'm finding it hard to see the connection, at least one that is out of the norm of the NHL, GM hiring guys they have some sort of connection, Ex Bergevin with Dudley, Waitte, Lapointe, but in a case like both with MT and Julien, MB had very little connection with. He said he really didn't know other than seeing him around the league before hired, and said he know got to know Julien with Hockey Canada.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let's be honest. Hunter is leaving because he sees his path to the GM position blocked in T.O. Well, the obstacle in Montreal is even bigger. He doesn't speak French. He won't come here.

I won't get into the language debate. I just want the Habs to take advantage of a disgruntled employee who happens to be an ex-Hab. It doesn't matter if the position is blocked or not in Montreal. He'd still be working pretty close to his Trana homebase if he took on similar or better responsibilities here. The idea is that he doesn't like the fact of having lost the GM position to someone he doesn't want to work alongside with. He may just be enticed to jump ship given his disgust for the position he's been put in.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
This is the type of post I was talking about. In regards to saying MB buddies, are you saying that as those are the ppl he hired and is loyal too? Or are you saying they were hired because they were his friends?

Cuz I'm finding it hard to see the connection, at least one that is out of the norm of the NHL, GM hiring guys they have some sort of connection, Ex Bergevin with Dudley, Waitte, Lapointe, but in a case like both with MT and Julien, MB had very little connection with. He said he really didn't know other than seeing him around the league before hired, and said he know got to know Julien with Hockey Canada.
Bergevin had to hire a coach with NHL pedigree. He couldn't hire another rookie francophone. So his options were limited to begin with. Therrien was available and even though Bergevin had no prior working relationship with him he fit the bill with regard to ethnicity and experience and, as it turned out, he and Bergevin being both former crap defensemen, found that they shared common views about the way they wanted to run the team. They became fast friends and started double-dating with their partners.

When the time came to get rid of Therrien, Bergevin had to wait for an available, credible francophone to become available. Had Julien not become available until the off-season, Therrien wouldn't have been fired when he was. Bergevin gave Therrien the axe only when Julien became available. Otherwise he'd have to wait until Boucher or Vigneault got fired before he could replace him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This was posted in French earlier but can't find the orignallly posted tweet (may have been reprised in the tweet below, however):

How do you feel about Bouchard potentially juggling three jobs? Mind you, he'd be replacing two individuals who couldn't excel at one job (Lefebvre, Carrière Sr.). The assistant GM position would be added on top. Of course, assuming all of this happens.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This was posted in French earlier but can't find the tweet:

How do you feel about Bouchard potentially juggling three jobs? Mind you, he'd be replacing two individuals who couldn't excel at one job (Lefebvre, Carrière Sr.). The assistant GM position would be added on top. Of course, assuming all of this happens.

with Bouchard pedigree, no problem with that !

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
yep but I think it will a take good assistant coach who as coaching experience to help him. A guy like Jean-Francois Houle

I don't know Houle. However, as long as we get an infusion of bright young coaching talent who brings a fresh new approach, am all for it. Time to move on from the dinosaurs and Bergevin friends from the 80s.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Bergevin had to hire a coach with NHL pedigree. He couldn't hire another rookie francophone. So his options were limited to begin with. Therrien was available and even though Bergevin had no prior working relationship with him he fit the bill with regard to ethnicity and experience and, as it turned out, he and Bergevin being both former crap defensemen, found that they shared common views about the way they wanted to run the team. They became fast friends and started double-dating with their partners.

When the time came to get rid of Therrien, Bergevin had to wait for an available, credible francophone to become available. Had Julien not become available until the off-season, Therrien wouldn't have been fired when he was. Bergevin gave Therrien the axe only when Julien became available. Otherwise he'd have to wait until Boucher or Vigneault got fired before he could replace him.

Pretty infantile reasoning technique. Just hope it was a loose attempt at humour that failed instead...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

In some cases, it's both.............but the bottom line here, is we have a terrible GM, he has proven this, the longer we let him have a key, to the store, the messier the store seems to get.

For me personally, it makes sense he hires guys he is familiar with, but you have to be prepared to fire those guys, and MB isn't or hasn't until now, when his direct report got involved to let him know, that the country club type of atmosphere, needs to change. I really believe, if Molson doesn't take a hard stance after this past season, MB doesn't make these changes, that have been made in the last 2-3 weeks...................he really is of the mindset, that he did not fail this past year, but the players did....when we all know, MB put the team in a no win, fail from the get go position.

Reactions: Runner77

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal

I think Boucher was available before Therrien got fired.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There will be limited changes with MB running the show.

He should had been the first to get kicked out.

There have already been 4 (Lefebvre/Daigneault/Lacroix/Dudley) out and 1 (Ducharme), and one to be announced in the near future (Bouchard) in. And more changes will be made. It's not scorched earth, but it won't be limited changes this time. I doubt Carriere sticks around or any of the assistant coaches in Laval. The scouting departments will go through some changes, too. MB said that the amateur dept. will remain in place for this draft and that afterwards, they will evaluate the staff.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad