GDT: Return to Play thread (Discuss Capitals games, lineups, who you want in round 2)

Who would you rather play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I am not interested in playing the Penguins right away. The rest i dont care about. Any of the non playoff teams that advance are going to be hitting on all cylinders and rolling with momentum. A legit playoff team might survive while struggling and being a better target. So, i will just take what is presented.

True, but where is the fun in that??

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I heard nothing official on Sammy and this is just a rumor but his injury isn’t Covid related as you could see him in TickTock with the Russians that he is still in concussion protocol

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I'll be that guy and answer the thread title question on who I want the Caps to play in Round 2 in descending order (but with the long layoff, who really knows??)

1) Montreal
2) Florida
3) NY Islanders
4) NY Rangers
5) Toronto
6) Carolina
7) Columbus
8) Pittsburgh
I fear Toronto a little bit, if every series is a coin flip they’ve got a number of advantages. Whole tournament will be home, best player has antibodies, and won’t face the usual pressure they’d face by avoiding people.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I fear Toronto a little bit, if every series is a coin flip they’ve got a number of advantages. Whole tournament will be home, best player has antibodies, and won’t face the usual pressure they’d face by avoiding people.

The whole thing being in Toronto is a double edged sword. They turn on you as likely as pull for you

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The whole thing being in Toronto is a double edged sword. They turn on you as likely as pull for you
It’ll be a lot easier to ignore if they turn on you this year though, like they get a bigger relative advantage from quarantining from fans and distancing from media than any other team since they don’t have to fear them turning on the team

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018

I feel a bit bad for Gudas, but overall I really like this lineup top to bottom. The Caps actually have some really nice depth at defense too.

These lines are extremely balanced. I don’t really see any holes. The big question mark is Orlov at RD. If that works out well though, then that D pairing gets restored as a proper shutdown pairing.

Samantha Pell’s latest Kemnpy article made a strong case from Kemnpy and Reirden’s perspective that Kempny struggled with the injury this season but that he looks and feels a lot healthier and better overall since his latest return. This is obviously going to be a bizarre playoffs, but I really like our current roster and lines.

Now let’s play some damn hockey.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think Sprong is the first injury filler for top 9W. I know we could obv move Panik or Hathaway up...but I think Sprong will make mark in this playoffs (assuming it all actually happens all the way thru). I could easily see him burning his old team w a BIG goal. Game winner or something.

Reactions: searle and tenken00

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oh to be a fly on the wall in Leipsic’s man cave during any games Sprong dresses for
Heck, or Boyd as well.

we don’t really know the depth of the whole “Leipsic Episode”. Was he hurting the room enough that his release was welcome and relaxed a segment of the group? Or was it a shock to the team and therefore a little room shaking?

or was it in the middle?

not one — as in ZERO — Caps teammates came to his defense on social media. Least not that I saw. So— I’m going to assume this helps the team a smidge

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think Sprong is the first injury filler for top 9W. I know we could obv move Panik or Hathaway up...but I think Sprong will make mark in this playoffs (assuming it all actually happens all the way thru). I could easily see him burning his old team w a BIG goal. Game winner or something.

Sprong scored 2 goals yesterday. Yes, I know it was a scrimmage but this is the first thing I've heard about him since he got traded here lol..

Has his defense improved at all?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Connolly 2.0 is rounding into form?

I just noticed hockeykicker posted the scrimmage feed above. Those 2 Sprong goals were actually pretty nice. He's a finisher alright, just like Connolly, but he looks like he can actually skate with the puck way better than Brett. At least from those brief videos above.

Edit: But Sprong's troubles were never about his offense. We all knew the kid can score.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad