GDT: Retirement home of life @ Retirement home of hockey 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Keep telling yourself that... I guess being top 5 in shots against is all on Luongo too? It's a team bud and Luongo has done **** all the last few games as well... we consistently out shoot the oppostion.. is that on Lu too?

Were 19th in shots against

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
That always keeps me leery. I remember when Weiss, Horton and J-Bo developed, we were on our way. Well, it never happened. Luongo left, and it started over again. It's getting sooooooo old.

Yes, we've been here before. Bouwmeester was hyped much more than Ekblad when drafted. We've had young cores before we thought were the answer. How did that end up going. You can say Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad are now that same 3 some. Bjugstad can be your O.Jokinen.

We should have patience but when we see so much of the same effort as we did 10+ years ago from our "young" team it kinda pisses you off!

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Let's hope Bettman is kind enough to rig the lottery so we get McDavid. Barring that, we have ZERO chance of winning a Cup in the next decade.
At least we don't have to worry about the team moving. I give the people of Quebec 2 seasons max of watching these bozos on the ice before they run them out of town back to Sunrise.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
First half definitely spoiled us. This team has improved and there is finally some promise for the future, but there is more work to be done before we get to be a playoff team.

Dumping these vets is the first step.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
GG comments are getting really old

Panthers coach Gerard Gallant said. "We didn't come out ready to play a real good hockey game. We were a little sleepy the first 10 minutes. After that we played well, but you can't get away with that and we didn't tonight.''

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
First half definitely spoiled us. This team has improved and there is finally some promise for the future, but there is more work to be done before we get to be a playoff team.

I agree. Flash, Bergy, Upshall, Kopecky should be gone via UFA

Somebody hopefully wants Boyes for a pick at the deadline

Were stuck with Jokinen and 5.5 and nothing we can do about that.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I agree. Flash, Bergy, Upshall, Kopecky should be gone via UFA

Somebody hopefully wants Boyes for a pick at the deadline

Were stuck with Jokinen and 5.5 and nothing we can do about that.

I think Boyes can stick around for another year. Decent chemistry with Barkov and Huberdeau

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
GG comments are getting really old

Panthers coach Gerard Gallant said. "We didn't come out ready to play a real good hockey game. We were a little sleepy the first 10 minutes. After that we played well, but you can't get away with that and we didn't tonight.''

What do you want the guy to say?

"We are just plain untalented. Tallon said he'd bring in a sniper this year but instead he signed Dave Bolland so I'm not sure what you expect me to do. Watch the waiver wire closely: in 2 years Dale will sign one of those players to a hefty multi-year deal. Help us Obi-wan McDavid. You're our only hope."

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL

This exactly. I'm as disgusted at this effort as the rest of you. We looked so damn good before that game in Winnipeg game and I actually semi-thought we could possibly earn a divisional spot. I mean I don't know how you lose against a team with tons of overpaid veterans, a backup goaltender with a 1-3-3 record, and 14 shots on goal and only FOUR in the last two periods.

Now, I realize that everything just so happened through our first 40 games clicked like it overall did in 2012 to get into the playoffs. This season, Luongo and the defense was phenomenal and was holding us in the games thus far as the offense is poor especially from the veterans. Now, the defense is falling apart and Luongo can't save us in every game.

Overall, we're a mediocre team and probably shouldn't be a playoff team to begin with yet. It's just frustrating that we know what they're capable of and can't stay consistent with it. In most of the losses over the last couple of weeks, it's because we can't play a full 60-minutes and the issues happen early on in the game.

Nevertheless, I'm damn excited about our future as our young kids are going to lead this team into a contender. It's just way too early for the success to happen as we've been brutally bad over the last two seasons. The jump hardly happens that quickly.

The only thing that does scare me is, while we're getting rid of some overpaid veteran weight after this season, guys like Bolland and Jokinen's contracts are here for awhile. I think it's too late to make a trade to save this season and at this point wouldn't make sense.

If Tallon is going to make a trade, do it for long-term. While I was on-board with getting a guy like Jagr, it won't help us when the team will have much higher potential in two seasons.

Things will get better as time goes on. Many fans around the league keep saying we're going to be scary good soon, but after so many damn years of seeing games like tonight, I can understand everyone's frustration.

Last edited:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
This exactly. I'm as disgusted at this effort as the rest of you. We looked so damn good before that game in Winnipeg game and I actually semi-thought we could possibly earn a divisional spot. I mean I don't know how you lose against a team with tons of overpaid veterans, a backup goaltender with a 1-3-3 record, and 14 shots on goal and only FOUR in the last two periods.

Now, I realize that everything just so happened to click like it overall did in 2012 to get into the playoffs. This season, Luongo and the defense was phenomenal and holding us in the games thus far as the offense is poor especially from the veterans. Now, the defense is falling apart and Luongo can't save us in every game.

Overall, we're a mediocre team and probably shouldn't be a playoff team to begin with yet. It's just frustrating that we know what they're capable of and can't stay consistent with it. In most of the losses over the last couple of weeks, it's because we can't play a full 60-minutes and the issues happen early on in the game.

Nevertheless, I'm damn excited about our future as our young kids are going to lead this team into a contender. It's just way too early for the success to happen as we've been brutally bad over the last two seasons. The jump hardly happens that quickly.

The only thing that does scare me is, while we're getting rid of some overpaid veteran weight after this season, guys like Bolland and Jokinen's contracts are here for awhile. I think it's too late to make a trade to save this season and at this point wouldn't make sense.

If Tallon is going to make a trade, do it for long-term. While I was on-board with getting a guy like Jagr, it won't help us when the team will have much higher potential in two seasons.

Things will get better as time goes on. Many fans around the league keep saying we're going to be scary good soon, but after so many damn years of seeing games like tonight, I can understand everyone's frustration.

Good post, my friend.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we need goal scorer. where are the goal going to come from on this team? bjugstad. thats it. barkov and huberdeau aren't goal scorers. bolland won't score much especially on the 3rd. kopecky, upshall, bergenheim, flash? no. boyes is decent but only around 20g. jussi tops out around 20 if he's playing top-6min and he's on the 3rd so. hayes has been promising. its pretty much just bjugstad and hayes. when bjugstad-barkov-huberdeau are the core of the offense and only 1 of those guys can score goals consistently? theres an issue. thats why i say try and trade huberdeau. barkovs obviously staying an huberdeau is one of the few guys on the team that has value and that we'd be willing to trade (hopefully).

with luongo in goal for the whole season and ekblad playing like he has, mitchell coming here and kulikov meshing well with him, that helped us to play better than we were expected but we still have a ways to go. we have big issues with getting quality wingers and we really need to address that in the offseason.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Good post, my friend.

Thanks. My brain feels like it has two sides. One is incredibly frustrated with the last couple weeks, but the other sees the potential down the line. We all hate waiting, as we've been doing it pretty much for fifteen years, so I figure what's another one or two (we hope).

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida

Now, I realize that everything just so happened through our first 40 games clicked like it overall did in 2012 to get into the playoffs. This season, Luongo and the defense was phenomenal and was holding us in the games thus far as the offense is poor especially from the veterans. Now, the defense is falling apart and Luongo can't save us in every game.

Exactly. Agree with everything 100%. I wish I could like your post like on facebook. Great post!

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Thanks. My brain feels like it has two sides. One is incredibly frustrated with the last couple weeks, but the other sees the potential down the line. We all hate waiting, as we've been doing it pretty much for fifteen years, so I figure what's another one or two (we hope).

I'm at the same spot. Sucks right now. But again, there's a bright future ahead.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
I love that we have a bright future ahead of us, but I wish we still could compete now because Im moving back to Finland in a year & a half. I reeeally want to experience a cats playoff game live :(

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Dale said that he didn't expect the team to be where they are in the standings right now, so I'm guessing all of these veterans contracts minus Bolland and Jokinen are going to get removed from this team in some way or another as many of them are stop-gaps. My concern is that we need to make the playoffs within a window of approximately 6 years. In 5 years, Luongo will be 40 years old. I gotta think it'll be over for him by then, so within those years, the youth need to take over and produce more and Tallon needs to supply the team with a goal-scorer of some kind. The jump to the playoffs is to be expected next year. No question.

Dale Tallon hired May 17, 2010.

QjDi7Wo.png

Sx9T9wM.png

2014-2015: (Lu is 35): Out of the playoffs (most likely)
2015-2016: (Lu is 36): ?
2016-2017: (Lu is 37): ?
2017-2018: (Lu is 38): ?
2018-2019: (Lu is 39): ?
2019-2020: (Lu is 40): ?

Last edited:

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Dale said that he didn't expect the team to be where they are in the standings right now, so I'm guessing all of these veterans contracts minus Bolland and Jokinen are going to get removed from this team in some way or another as many of them are stop-gaps. My concern is that we need to make the playoffs within a window of approximately 6 years. In 5 years, Luongo will be 40 years old. I gotta think it'll be over for him by then, so within those years, the youth need to take over and produce more and Tallon needs to supply the team with a goal-scorer of some kind. The jump to the playoffs is to be expected next year. No question.

Dale Tallon hired May 17, 2010.

QjDi7Wo.png

Sx9T9wM.png

2014-2015: (Lu is 35): Out of the playoffs (most likely)
2015-2016: (Lu is 36): ?
2016-2017: (Lu is 37): ?
2017-2018: (Lu is 38): ?
2018-2019: (Lu is 39): ?
2019-2020: (Lu is 40): ?
We need to draft a good goalie soon so that he'll be ready to take over when Lu is done.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida

Great post. I completely agree. I think we need to make a trade now. Not to push for playoffs but to ship off veterans that we are losing anyways. Get some draft picks for them. Make room for our young core that play harder (and better IMO) such as rocco Grimaldi. We even had to bench Hayes who could have produced a goal for us tonight. It will also give the team a wake up call just to show them that garbage play means serious changes.

On the bright side, we have a great future. I hope we do get that goal scorer someday soon. I remember going to games with my Pavel Bure jersey and watching him play. His breakaways were great and he really could score. Man was that awesome live. We need that guy again. Not just for the goals, but for fans to get in the seats and watch. We had decent crowds when we had Bure. That's what we need. If Dale is offering, I'm here to help assist GM :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad