OT: Restaurant thread

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
My wife and I are in a good position financially...

Before this started we believed in cooking fresh meals for ourselves... cheaper and we can control the ingredients - so healthy for sure...

But we have been making sure we order delivery at least twice a week to restaurants in West Winnipeg we value...

We need to look after our community businesses...

And we tip extra over what we would to the delivery person in order to help their families as their is some risk on their part...

So we are doing the reverse of what you would think... because we can... and want to help...

Besides what we make sometimes is not as good - Pizza's aren't as good as Pizza Hotline... or Irish Nacho's & Wings from The Thirsty Lion...

And it's easy for us to do... it's really to help others...

If your pizza is worse than pizza hotline I'd evaluate your pizza making skills.:sarcasm:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
A locally owned chain first and foremost...

Not a multi-national or Global Franchise...

Pure Manitoba

No sarcasm... but ya... I suck at home made pizza...

wanna a simple yet amazingly tasty and cheap pizza, we get Naan bread, olive oil it, we Classico sweet basil marinara spaghetti sauce, then add your toppings and mozza cheeze, bake for 15 mins at 375, finish with a broil to crisp the cheese.

Simple, cheap and a better tasting pizza than pizza hotline, hell I say it taste better than Dominoes as well. Not Gondola though, nothing beats Gondola.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Frank's pizza for Easter this year.
This is good.
Screenshot_20200408-102633~2.png

Reactions: Gm0ney

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
wanna a simple yet amazingly tasty and cheap pizza, we get Naan bread, olive oil it, we Classico sweet basil marinara spaghetti sauce, then add your toppings and mozza cheeze, bake for 15 mins at 375, finish with a broil to crisp the cheese.

Simple, cheap and a better tasting pizza than pizza hotline, hell I say it taste better than Dominoes as well. Not Gondola though, nothing beats Gondola.

We have Naan Bread around all the time and do something similar... and it's very good...
I think you missed the gist of My post though... to help local services we value in far West Charleswood was our main concern...

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We have Naan Bread around all the time and do something similar... and it's very good...
I think you missed the gist of My post though... to help local services we value in far West Charleswood was our main concern...

I did get, and fully support that message. We are also trying to order once a week from a local restaurant.

Just wanted to give you a simple pizza recipe that could help up your pizza game

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I did get, and fully support that message. We are also trying to order once a week from a local restaurant.

Just wanted to give you a simple pizza recipe that could help up your pizza game

Thanks...

Did I mention I had owned My own Moxie's & have Chef training... :laugh:

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I do cook... I only like to cook for My family and friends now...

I don't have a Pizza Oven and I am not going to endanger others fondling the fresh ingredients right now in these crowded grocery stores...

I'm very picky when I prepare something... and I like to give My wife a break... leads to a special dessert....:sarcasm:

We are also shopping to help others... so we try to be quick and efficient like George Costanza in a fire drill...

giphy.gif

:laugh:

Thanks for helping... I really do appreciate it...

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks...

Did I mention I had owned My own Moxie's & have Chef training... :laugh:

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I do cook... I only like to cook for My family and friends now...

I don't have a Pizza Oven and I am not going to endanger others fondling the fresh ingredients right now in these crowded grocery stores...

I'm very picky when I prepare something... and I like to give My wife a break... leads to a special dessert....:sarcasm:

We are also shopping to help others... so we try to be quick and efficient like George Costanza in a fire drill...

giphy.gif

Thanks for helping... I really do appreciate it...

Lol, sorry thought you might be a novice cook. Sure my bachelor pizza recipe knocked your sox off.:laugh:

I enjoy cooking very much, but have never made a solid pizza dough in my time.

Reactions: John Agar

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Remember to support your favourite place during this time

they’ll thank you for that

Bumping .......

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

An update on my Pizza making skills...

Just ordered an attachment for my Green Mountain Pellet Grill...

Pizza-attachment.jpg

Also ordered a Peel, the lifter as well...

Going to start making My own Neapolitan Pizzas... the attachment sits over the stoking box (grill plates/smoking box removed) and heats the stone inside upwards of 800 deg F...

I can make a proofed dough pizza in under two minutes...

Looking forward to it's delivery... making/proofing fresh dough a day before... then insta-pizza party...

Your comments a while back shamed Me into upping my game...

No excuse now for good pizza...

Last edited:

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011

Naan bread pizza is the bomb... better than a lot of take outs and almost as easy as a Frozen...great for a easy weeknight meal that kids love...try it on the BBQ...fabulous.
Gondola pizza...Fabulous Crust, Sauce, Cheese, Meat toppings...but OMG why the canned mushrooms!!! why oh why!...A Pepperoni/Mushroom on a thin crust is my favourite pizza but canned mushrooms R gross...

Reactions: Gm0ney

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
RIP Segovia

Very sad such incredibly talented people.
Great restaurant. I’m not looking forward to seeing which of my faves close shop. You might know, these places may close up, will they be able to open another under a different name? Meaning will government help in any way to get restarted or open a new restaurant?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great restaurant. I’m not looking forward to seeing which of my faves close shop. You might know, these places may close up, will they be able to open another under a different name? Meaning will government help in any way to get restarted or open a new restaurant?

Government will not help them reopen. They would need to raise money, possibly rebrand, and open in a new location. Between now and 12 months from now (notwithstanding the wage subsidy being extended) we will see between 1 in 5 to 1 in 3 full service restaurants close their doors. At this snapshot in time Most landlords want to get paid full rents while restaurants are legislated to close. The business is very lean margins and the vast majority can’t afford to pay rent without any revenue. The reopening at half capacity with masks etc will cripple most places if first wave doesn’t kill them.

If landlords took the existing offer from the government (50-25-25) and the government extended the wage subsidy program (or a similar program) until restaurants could seat full capacity then the industry would see less carnage.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Government will not help them reopen. They would need to raise money, possibly rebrand, and open in a new location. Between now and 12 months from now (notwithstanding the wage subsidy being extended) we will see between 1 in 5 to 1 in 3 full service restaurants close their doors. At this snapshot in time Most landlords want to get paid full rents while restaurants are legislated to close. The business is very lean margins and the vast majority can’t afford to pay rent without any revenue. The reopening at half capacity with masks etc will cripple most places if first wave doesn’t kill them.

If landlords took the existing offer from the government (50-25-25) and the government extended the wage subsidy program (or a similar program) until restaurants could seat full capacity then the industry would see less carnage.
This is sad news for our great restaurant industry in the city. I hope they can rebound at some point very soon.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Come on Agar, tel the truth, you're dipping that Naan bread in your caviar to go along with your $100 Scotch!

Reactions: GNP

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Naan bread pizza is the bomb... better than a lot of take outs and almost as easy as a Frozen...great for a easy weeknight meal that kids love...try it on the BBQ...fabulous.
Gondola pizza...Fabulous Crust, Sauce, Cheese, Meat toppings...but OMG why the canned mushrooms!!! why oh why!...A Pepperoni/Mushroom on a thin crust is my favourite pizza but canned mushrooms R gross...
Sorry, my fault:D
The Gondola on Pembina highway has both canned and fresh mushrooms. I ALWAYS
specify canned. For some reason they taste better on a Greasy Gondola pizza.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Come on Agar, tel the truth, you're dipping that Naan bread in your caviar to go along with your $100 Scotch!

I haven't touched an ounce of scotch in 20 years. Just have some very nice bottles given as gifts from friends. I save it for visitors.

As for caviar... always have some when I'm in Montreal with some of the Charcuterie Plates when it's available.... would rather have fresh oysters really... and when in Montreal... I do oysters in a big way...

As for Naan... and don't say Naan Bread... that's redundant... I only have Naan with my meals at Charisma on Sherbrooke.... love the buffet there...

Good to hear from you though Sip'... I've missed you... ;)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
And so, Elon Musk orders all Tesla workers back to work at his California Factory - defying local California health authorities. He said, they can come and arrest me if they want, and Trump fully approved Elon's actions.

Enough is enough of all this crap, and shutting down society. If your sick, or old then "stay home", practise social distancing or whatever, but this Virus protection thing has gotten way way out of hand.

Way to go Elon --and authorities now have backed off, and said he could operate, providing certain cautions are taken. They will not close down his factory at Tesla, like they threatened too.

If we let serious flus, and other health risks "control" our society --we'll be in bring trouble. It's time for business people to step up like Elon did, and not be dictated to by government. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad