OT: Restaurant thread

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll have to give it a try. I love fried chicken. Admittedly like the kind offered by chains, like KFC, Popeyes, and Chicken Chef or Chicken Delight. Also if any restaurant offers chicken and waffles, I'm in. Clementines, or Tallest Poppy.

Dine out for: Clementine's, Tallest Poppy
Go-To-Takeout: KFC, Popeye's Spicy
Just ok: Chicken Chef, Chicken Delight, Candy's (a bit dry and salty)
Disappointing: Magic Bird, Brazen Hall
Want to try: Merchant Kitchen

I think with Chicken Chef/Delight, the location has a lot to do with the quality. The Chicken Chef on Nairn is quite good. The Chicken Delight on east Regent is also pretty good, despite it's shabby appearance.

The Chicken Delight that used to be on the corner of Stafford and Corydon was easily the worst one I ever ate at. Frequently the chicken was barely cooked, and I also got food poisoning from the dry ribs. I see it's now a Swiss Chalet lol.

KFC, I think a lot of it is pretty much crap now. When I worked there in the 90s it was sooo much better. They still made all the salads from scratch at our restaurant and the gravy was made from scratch from the cooked chicken drippings and flour. Now the gravy is from a package and tastes like wallpaper paste. The chicken can be hit or miss, it seems most people don't know how to bread it properly. Lots of places you can tell they overload it with flour and don't let it drain properly after it is taken out of the pressure cooker. That makes it extremely salty and greasy and unenjoyable.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
My issue with a lot of this is I have a very big appetite and portion size compared to most people. No, I'm not fat, far from it, but I get hungry after working out lmao.

I'll eat an entire XL pizza in a sitting, I hate leftovers because I feel if I'm having crappy food I need to go all out. I really wanna try OH Donuts after seeing JT (Miller) get them here, since those are my preferred sweets, however I'll need about 6 minimum to satisfy my cravings.

Would most people recommend Popeyes? We don't have one in Brandon, and KFC tends to be junk most of the time now sadly. I'll end up spending 40$ when I go...
Popeye's is good chicken but like I said its expensive. I find what makes it tasty is the chicken itself has a lot of flavour as opposed to just the skin. Oh Donuts is amazing but again, big time $$$.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I think with Chicken Chef/Delight, the location has a lot to do with the quality. The Chicken Chef on Nairn is quite good. The Chicken Delight on east Regent is also pretty good, despite it's shabby appearance.

The Chicken Delight that used to be on the corner of Stafford and Corydon was easily the worst one I ever ate at. Frequently the chicken was barely cooked, and I also got food poisoning from the dry ribs. I see it's now a Swiss Chalet lol.

KFC, I think a lot of it is pretty much crap now. When I worked there in the 90s it was sooo much better. They still made all the salads from scratch at our restaurant and the gravy was made from scratch from the cooked chicken drippings and flour. Now the gravy is from a package and tastes like wallpaper paste. The chicken can be hit or miss, it seems most people don't know how to bread it properly. Lots of places you can tell they overload it with flour and don't let it drain properly after it is taken out of the pressure cooker. That makes it extremely salty and greasy and unenjoyable.

You're probably right that it comes down to training of the staff and quality control measures. Even at the big chains like KFC, you would hope their measures are better, but no place is invulnerable to the occasional poor worker/bad shift.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
For those posting in this thread who may not be familiar with it. There is a forum with goings on in Winnipeg (based around new construction) that's fairly active, that has a restaurant thread (I assume this one will die soon since you know, this is a hockey board). I know there's some overlap with the members between the boards.

Manitoba & Saskatchewan - SkyscraperPage Forum

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Best fried chicken take out IMO is the Spicy chicken at Jollibee.

The regular stuff is just okay but the spicy is so so good. Popeyes, KFC are both meh. Haven't had Chicken Chef in a long time but it was always ok.

I used to get high as f*** and have chicken bowls from KFC, that was fun.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
For those posting in this thread who may not be familiar with it. There is a forum with goings on in Winnipeg (based around new construction) that's fairly active, that has a restaurant thread (I assume this one will die soon since you know, this is a hockey board). I know there's some overlap with the members between the boards.

Thanks for the links. Not sure I'd last there. Saw some stuff about cycling. I ride as soon as the snow is gone until it comes again, probably 3000 km/year just commuting to work. I hate cyclists. o_O

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I'll have to give it a try. I love fried chicken. Admittedly like the kind offered by chains, like KFC, Popeyes, and Chicken Chef or Chicken Delight. Also if any restaurant offers chicken and waffles, I'm in. Clementines, or Tallest Poppy.

Dine out for: Clementine's, Tallest Poppy
Go-To-Takeout: KFC, Popeye's Spicy
Just ok: Chicken Chef, Chicken Delight, Candy's (a bit dry and salty)
Disappointing: Magic Bird, Brazen Hall
Want to try: Merchant Kitchen

The Chicken and Waffles at Leopold's is worth making the trip for...at least it is at the one on Osborne.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

That forum is full of degenerates!:sarcasm:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've only tried Ichi Ban's sushi once - before a Jets game a couple of years ago. It was awful and expensive.

If you want some sushi before a Jets game, Izakaya Edokko on St. Mary behind the Library is very, very good.

Anyone eaten at the True North Square Hargrave Market or whatever it's called? I walked through before the Tampa game but didn't eat. The place was jumping.
I I have had nothing but good experiences there. I love the food there I used to go about three times a month around 2009 or so. I had to quit eating the Ikura because it was making me burp and it tasted like the cod liver oil pills my mom gave me when I was in grade 3. I have eaten downstairs where they fix your food in front of you and there were four of us but I could have eaten everybody's meal. They don't give much. The guy behind the sushi bar used to make me my own Wasabi...super strength.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Word of advice: never eat wasabi when you have clogged sinuses. It comes up the retro-nasal route and you are powerless to stop it. :eek:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Ichi Ban has always been a go to place for us.
I can’t get enough of their chicken livers. I know it sounds weird, but they are SO delicious.
One time I skipped the steak, shrimp and chicken and just had chicken livers for the appetizer AND the main course.
It’s hard to describe what it feels like eating all that iron, but I can best describe it as being similar to swallowing a 10 pound bowling ball.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

Chicken Chef on Nairn will be closing soon I heard

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm convinced that location is cursed considering how many different restaurants have failed there.

Don't worry --some Greek guy will buy the location and turn it into a Gold Mine -- a lot of times it's all management.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Kenny Rogers chicken
Yup, but waaaaay before that (1970ish?) my old failing memory recalls it was...
Kavanaugh's (see pic below) which became...
Kamp's which was McD's biggest competition, then was replaced by...
Champ's which became what's now known as KFC...

... and many many more between those and Kenny Rogers Roasters, which I did try once when it was there and it was some of the best roast chicken I've had to this day!

I'm pretty sure there was once a Grubee's in that spot too...

Kavanaugh's.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad