OT: Restaurant thread

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Jefferey’s on Henderson at Whellams Lane (south of chief peguis trail) had great pizza and wings. It’s been a while since I ate there.
Used to be Angelo's Pizza way back when.
Family ordered from there a couple times a month.
$3.80 for a large pepperoni pizza including delivery.
Gawd I'm old... :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yup, but waaaaay before that (1970ish?) my old failing memory recalls it was...
Kavanaugh's (see pic below) which became...
Kamp's which was McD's biggest competition, then was replaced by...
Champ's which became what's now known as KFC...

... and many many more between those and Kenny Rogers Roasters, which I did try once when it was there and it was some of the best roast chicken I've had to this day!

I'm pretty sure there was once a Grubee's in that spot too...

View attachment 324319
Champs, I remember that.

God I’m old...:(

Reactions: jefferoni

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Don't worry --some Greek guy will buy the location and turn it into a Gold Mine -- a lot of times it's all management.

Well, a gold mine or a pile of burning rubble, one or the other :sarcasm:.

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I miss the giant bucket of Chicken signs many of the old KFC restaurants had. I always thought they were hilarious.

My favourite KFC was the one in Moosomin SK, it used to have an all you could eat lunch buffet. Any time me and my buddies would do a road trip out west, we would stop in Moosomin for lunch. Being a family style franchise they had additional things in the buffet you wouldn’t find on the menu, like perogies and meatballs in gravy.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Gotta be honest, I cannot stand KFC fried chicken. Over breaded, over salty, greasy and taste has always been soso.

Chicken Delight has always been better fried chicken IMO, and Chicken Chef a step below. Popeyes I found a bit underwhelming but probably because I was expecting to much.

Red Top restaurant also had very good fried chicken.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
How about Greenjeans? Was located where BP is at CityPlace, used to enjoy their food and drinks too.

Clancy’s is another one that used to be a popular haunt...I think there were 2-3 of them in the city. I think they were one of the first places to serve chicken fingers with Honey Dill sauce.

Clancy's roadhouse? I think that goes back to about the mid-80s? There was one on Meadowood and another on south Pembina across from where the Zeller's was. Oh we used to get smashed there. I don't remember all the details but I got back from Australia and met some buddies there. I was able to pull off a pretty passable accent at the time and we won some contest that resulted in us having a $50 gift card. We were supposed to come back again to use it but we convinced them I was flying home to Australia the next day so they let us use it that night. We ordered gin and rockaberry coolers (as the mix, silly). Oh, not a good idea.

I recall people eating but we never did, it was all about the booze.

Reactions: ps241

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Not a restaurant but if anyone is looking for a frozen pizza that rivals lots of delivery pies try out Spenst Brothers pizza, Co op sells them also A few of the Giant Tigers.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Best pizza joint I ever experienced in Winnipeg was at the old Big Boy's Pizza on Henderson Hwy (just before the Nor-Villa). Incredible thin crust... like pie. And always very generous with the cheese and toppings. When I lived down town, I'd drive all the way there for pick-up.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Not a restaurant but if anyone is looking for a frozen pizza that rivals lots of delivery pies try out Spenst Brothers pizza, Co op sells them also A few of the Giant Tigers.
Local (Winkler) product. Wife tried some at a demo at the local Big Kitty and came home with 2 pies. Very good thin (flaky pastry) crust. Quite expensive for frozen pizza, however.

Frozen Pizza | Spenst Brothers Premium Meats

Reactions: Gm0ney and Gotaf7

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Used to be Angelo's Pizza way back when.
Family ordered from there a couple times a month.
$3.80 for a large pepperoni pizza including delivery.
Gawd I'm old... :laugh:
The last time I remember being there before it turned into Jeffrey's was when we watched Steve Smith's "own goal" during the Oilers vs Flames game in the lounge.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Its great and something that is a hit at parties if you have to make your own.

Reactions: Gotaf7

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
This is so good in Australia:
Jesters

Meat Pies! Think it would fly here?
I'd be all over it. I lived on meat pies at bus stations and sandwiches from carvery's when I was traveling around Australia. I had about $20/day for housing and food and half that went to the hostel. Added Gyros to the menu late in the trip but meat pies were dominant in my diet. :laugh:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
This thread is pretty amusing, bringing up a lot of old memories.

The in-store cafeteria in Woolco (Grant Park)? LOL, yeah... I remember that and bugging my mom to stop in there for something.

The old Pancake House at Polo Park would also have these tall cylinders full of smarties at the cashier (and other assorted toys). Every time we went, I would ask if they can buy me something extra (almost always I was unsuccessful)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
This is so good in Australia:
Jesters

Meat Pies! Think it would fly here?
I'd be there in a flash. The old Belgian Bakery on Corydon, where the Falafel place is now, used to have the best meat pies. I'd go there every Saturday morning with my Mom.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
This thread is pretty amusing, bringing up a lot of old memories.

The in-store cafeteria in Woolco (Grant Park)? LOL, yeah... I remember that and bugging my mom to stop in there for something.

The old Pancake House at Polo Park would also have these tall cylinders full of smarties at the cashier (and other assorted toys). Every time we went, I would ask if they can buy me something extra (almost always I was unsuccessful)
I used to love that place! My grandfather worked at Woolco Grant Park, so I was there quite a bit.

Reactions: Guffman

SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
King Pie (meat pies)was a South African Chain that lasted in Winnipeg for a very short time. I recall one at polo park and one in portage place. Portions were small

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Does anyone remember Pure Lard in the exchange from the mid 90s.

The story goes that the owner / chef was taken by Green Day as their personal chef.

Reactions: Ducky10

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I worked at the Mid-Town buffet as a teen.
Right across from the Marlborough Inn.
All you can keep down for .99
Anyone remember that place :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad