OT: Restaurant thread

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's it? I know someone who swears there's Worcester sauce in it.
Not when I made it, we are talking 30 years go though. I don't even know if it's still on the menu, I've only been to the new Hy's once and it had to be over 10 years ago.

Reactions: Jedub

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I've seen some mentions of Mr. Mikes...but none for Mrs. Mikes. I used to go there all the time when my dad worked on Tache. Where I learned to love vinegar on my fries. Blueberry milkshakes with real blueberries that clogged your straw up. Wonder if they`ve gotten bigger straws by now.
I'm with you, page 8.
Maybe I missed it but surprised there hasn’t been more shout outs for Mrs Mike’s on Tache. Pretty tasty and good milkshakes.

Reactions: Jedub

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone remember Candy's Fried Chicken on St. Anne's Rd? I thought they deep fried some fine chicken back in the day. There is still one open on Henderson I believe, but I have never eaten there.
Since this conversation is entering fried chicken territory I'd like to make people aware of the following in case they didn't already know...
Different Pieces Same Fried Chicken | KFC® Canada

P.S. Popeye's chicken in the States is awesome!

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Is there still a Mr. Sub left anywhere in the city? I loved their pizza subs, always thought they were better than Subway
Was a big fan of Mr Sub. Loved me a super cold cuts or a pizza sub. Still a few in Regina and three left in Winnipeg.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Im surprised. Ive always had excellent food/service when there. I believe they have a sushi "happy hour" when its much cheaper.
The service was good. The sushi just wasn't great. It was just one time a few years ago (sample size alert!) - perhaps it was still new and they've ironed out some stuff. I found the rolls were overly-ricey as I recall, and just not tasty. And yeah, it must not have been happy hour because it was pricey. Ricey and Pricey would be the headline on my review... ;)

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Since this conversation is entering fried chicken territory I'd like to make people aware of the following in case they didn't already know...
Different Pieces Same Fried Chicken | KFC® Canada

P.S. Popeye's chicken in the States is awesome!
There is a Popeye’s in my neighborhood now. The bonus is its a stones throw from 2 breweries. The chicken is pretty good.
Mr. Mikes is a BC chain. They have been around for 40 or 50 years, mostly in Alberta and smaller BC towns. There is one left in Coquitlam. The food isnt bad, we eat there when we cant agree on anything else.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There is a Popeye's opening in Transcona soon. I enjoyed eating at the ones in Toronto. I haven't actually tried the one that opened on Sterling Lyin, I don't venture out that way much anymore. Too far from Transcona! Lol

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I've only tried Ichi Ban's sushi once - before a Jets game a couple of years ago. It was awful and expensive.

If you want some sushi before a Jets game, Izakaya Edokko on St. Mary behind the Library is very, very good.

Anyone eaten at the True North Square Hargrave Market or whatever it's called? I walked through before the Tampa game but didn't eat. The place was jumping.
I ate at Gusto North last weekend. It has its own section with table service. They have the same ovens as the Academy location and it was delicious. We went out to the common area for drinks afterwards and had a blast. Good cocktails, and decent beer on tap (mostly LotW, but they had Barn Hammer’s 66 too).

Reactions: Ducky10 and Gm0ney

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
IMO the best ice cream comes from a little ice cream parlour inside Golf Central in the Tcona area. Huge portions. Tons of varieties. Reasonably priced. Sadly (but understandably) only open during the summer months.

Ice Cream Shop (closed for season) | GOLF DRIVING RANGE - VIRTUAL GOLF

View attachment 322871

View attachment 322873

Agreed. When I lived in Peg I only went there a couple times (stupid me), and it was by far the best around. There was a little one I remember years ago too near the Safeway on Kildare I think it is?

Dairy Queen ice cream is absolute trash and anyone who enjoys it is wrong.

Reactions: jefferoni

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I ate at Gusto North last weekend. It has its own section with table service. They have the same ovens as the Academy location and it was delicious. We went out to the common area for drinks afterwards and had a blast. Good cocktails, and decent beer on tap (mostly LotW, but they had Barn Hammer’s 66 too).
My friend works at the Miss Brown's in True North Square. Roslovic comes in every day for a breakfast sandwich, no tomato. Also was spotted strutting around in what looked suspiciously like boxer shorts with hearts on them.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Also, I don`t know if this is still true but I had the best fried chicken of my life at the Thunderbird in St. Vital.

I'll have to give it a try. I love fried chicken. Admittedly like the kind offered by chains, like KFC, Popeyes, and Chicken Chef or Chicken Delight. Also if any restaurant offers chicken and waffles, I'm in. Clementines, or Tallest Poppy.

Dine out for: Clementine's, Tallest Poppy
Go-To-Takeout: KFC, Popeye's Spicy
Just ok: Chicken Chef, Chicken Delight, Candy's (a bit dry and salty)
Disappointing: Magic Bird, Brazen Hall
Want to try: Merchant Kitchen

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Checked out The Feast on Ellice and it was pretty good. $25 for lunch for my mother and I. I got a poutine and it was really good. Had to wait at the time for gravy and they were kinda light on gravy after all said and done.

Went to Little Korea around their and enjoyed that as well. The sides were cold but the food was hot so I didnt mind.

There is also a 99 cent pizza shop around their as well. Their poutine are a great size for their price (I think it was $6) and their butter chicken was good as well but the butter chicken was super spicy the last time I tried it their.

Reactions: Ducky10

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I'll have to give it a try. I love fried chicken. Admittedly like the kind offered by chains, like KFC, Popeyes, and Chicken Chef or Chicken Delight. Also if any restaurant offers chicken and waffles, I'm in. Clementines, or Tallest Poppy.

Dine out for: Clementine's, Tallest Poppy
Go-To-Takeout: KFC, Popeye's Spicy
Just ok: Chicken Chef, Chicken Delight, Candy's (a bit dry and salty)
Disappointing: Magic Bird, Brazen Hall
Want to try: Merchant Kitchen

Try SMITH at the Forks.

Reactions: Positive and Gotaf7

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
My issue with a lot of this is I have a very big appetite and portion size compared to most people. No, I'm not fat, far from it, but I get hungry after working out lmao.

I'll eat an entire XL pizza in a sitting, I hate leftovers because I feel if I'm having crappy food I need to go all out. I really wanna try OH Donuts after seeing JT (Miller) get them here, since those are my preferred sweets, however I'll need about 6 minimum to satisfy my cravings.

Would most people recommend Popeyes? We don't have one in Brandon, and KFC tends to be junk most of the time now sadly. I'll end up spending 40$ when I go...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad