OT: Restaurant thread

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
It's not a restaurant persay, but Grand Donuts on Lag and Grassie is my go to place for donuts. They also have Bubble Tea and some asian desserts.

It's kind of jarring paying $36 for a dozen donuts, but I do enjoy the way they taste :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: imec and sipowicz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Sargent Taco Shop is good for authentic Mexican. Could use larger portion sizes though IMO.

Burgers, I tend to go to St James Burger.

Looking for a new Chinese food place as the one near me closed a while back. I’ve heard Toy Sun is good and will probably try it out during NFL playoffs

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GeorgeJETson

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You always see hamburger in tacos in Canada. I've yet to see hamburger offered in tacos in Mexico.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Sargent Taco Shop is good for authentic Mexican. Good use larger portion sizes though IMO.

Looking for a new Chinese food place as the one near me closed a while back. I’ve heard Toy Sun is good and will probably try it out during NFL playoffs

The Chinese food place I usually order from is 888 Chinese Express on Henderson Hwy. But that might be too far depending where you live.

• Love
Reactions: snowkiddin

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Sargent Taco Shop is good for authentic Mexican. Could use larger portion sizes though IMO.

I live in St. James and never tried there, gotta go

Chinese
Hi Ball on Academy has awesome dry veal and lemon chicken or black bean garlic chicken

Reactions: GNP and snowkiddin

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ate at Thida's Thai on Donald again recently. I hadn't been there since prior to Covid.

Reviews are definitely a mixed bag online so I was a little nervous. Went for lunch and the service was excellent, the food fantastic and the prices very fair. Five of us for under $100 at lunch (no drinks other than my pop).

Looking back at the reviews it seems they don't cope quite well enough with Skip business being added into the mix on busy evenings. I get the love for Skip due to convenience, but always find the food substandard by the time it arrives, regardless of who we're ordering from. Seems it may have negative impacts on the restaurants in other ways.

On a slightly different and nostalgic note, I still miss Wox Chinese restaurant - it was under the then TD tower at Portage and Main. Family run with Grandma, mom, dad, son and daughter all working at various times. Predominantly mom and grandma out front. Standard food court approach to things but their spicy, dry pork and Shanghai vermicelli were out of this world. Probably better for my health they closed down when the whole food court was gutted for what is there now (mistake) as I was going once a week. Received the kindest compliment from them one day while paying too, as I'd always put Sriracha on the noodles as well. As she handed me the Sriracha, Grandma said to me "you no white guy, you like spice too much". :DD But sometime between November 2017 and April 2018 they disappeared along with the rest of the food court. Still haven't found out where they went, but I'd drive across the city to get that meal again.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
The restaurant business is tough - there's a good reason why some places last a long time. Here's my superb duck (Confit of Leg and a Pan Seared Breast atop a crisp Latke) at Fusion Grill a couple weeks ago...

47A560D7-6E16-4A27-9F71-C4F154078705.jpeg

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad