Post-Game Talk: Requiem for the 2023 NHL Draft

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
My take : this board is salty af and will look dumb in a few months/years
Heard this 1 the last 11 drafts.

Martin Lapointe sounds like ha has a low second round pick level IQ, its pretty sad.. no passion, no substance..
He's a friend of Bergevin, what did you expect

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The delusional idea that this organization has actually been competent for 30 years? The belief that our fans are smarter than everyone else? The fact that some of our fans vastly overrate all of our middling prospects and players on the main boards? Our arrogance despite the fact we haven't accomplished anything in 30 years?

Those things ringing a bell?
No... mostly how we seem determined to ruin the most important moment of our 1st round picks lives by forcing our own insecurities on them because we’re scarred by previous regimes inadequacies and bad decisions.

That and the huge sense of entitlement we have with this team.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
If Reinbacher doesn't end up being a Pietrangelo

f*** all yall
And if he does we are fine? Gotta give it a few years to evaluate at least huh? How about 4?

Oh boy, it looks like you and I are going to have quite the conversation one way or another on June 29th 2027!

John B

Nov 19, 2016
After trading the late first rounder and their only second rounder, I wasn't expecting much from the middle rounds. Fowler helps the depth of the goalie prospects. Passing on Lipinski and Ciernik in the 4th round and Cam Allen in the 5th is disappointing.

Would have been nice to see some trades, but there weren't many players traded today. Sucks that the Habs didn't get Bailey and the 2nd rounder from the Isles.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
So, the Rangers blueprint can't be used here, which scratches gifts form above like Panarin and Fox. Getting PLD's of the world are out too, it costs too much in young players whom we are trying to accumulate and command probably too high a salary.

So, high end players will need to be drafted. Only, some are hard to project and don't necessarily fit the need vs the risk equation.

Also, luck isn't on our side like Hawks and Leafs who tank in the great years to tank. We couldn't get a lottery win when needed, like Jersey.

Our blueprint is add to what we have in the age range 20-23. And draft for need to complement said age range.

Tell me if I'm out of bounds.

I forgot: goalie wise; you keep developing Monty to see if he has it in him, and draft good ones that are 18 and will come of age in 5 years, which is normal for a goalie to start spreading their wings.

Reactions: Shred

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I mean it's all relative right?

I don't think we did as well as we could have (and we'll see in a few years) but I still think we came out of it with some good pieces.

I'm bothered by the disdain for elite offensive talent this organization seems to show. I was hoping the new management group might be able to flip the script but alas, they passed on a golden opportunity to do so.

For me this draft is a big test of faith for the new group, I disagree wholly with what they've done, but I'll continue to be patient to see if their vision comes to fruition.

Go Habs Go

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i remember when the board loved the 2012 draft we had and man did that return a whole lot of nothing. i'm giving this one lots of time

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm good with people thinking this was an F draft. Low expectations usually work out in our favour. The "A" grade drafts have usually been gawd awful.

I like all 3 goalie picks.

Fowler was definitely a good target at Round 3. He had an outstanding 2nd half of season in USHL, and is going to Boston College next year. He is explosive in his lateral movement which is Primeau's big problem (too slow going post-to-post, and high-to-low). Miller had a strong year backing up Rousseau in Quebec. He'll be a #1 next season for them. Russian kid looks promising, and we hold his rights indefinitely.

Filip Eriksson is a great boom or bust prospect. He only played 13 games this year due to a scaphoid fracture. His skating is beautiful! His acceleration is really something. That's all I remember about him. He's playing SHL next year for Vaxjo.

The younger Xhekaj, Kind of shocked at that pick! NHL upside is Keegan Kolesar type. Need / brotherly pick. At worst, he's an AHL tough guy, which we also need. We're too small in Laval.

Know nothing about Bogdan & Harris. Interesting stats.

Mittelstadt I had a potential 7th round pick in both 2021 & 2022 drafts. This kid ends up creating offense at whatever level he's at. A play creator, but small & gets pushed around.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Every time there's a trade or a draft, we get this reaction from people who think they know better, just to come back a year or 2 later and tell us they will eat crow. Last year was the Dach trade and not picking (W)right. This year it's the draft and Newhook which are both too early to judge. Well this year we're fresh out of crow bitches and you'll get called out for your judgmental attitudes :laugh:

And everytime there's a bad pick or a bad trade, there's a bunch of people defending it tooth n nail just like you're doing. They get to eat a lot of crow too. Stop acting like you know better. Nevermind the complete lack of self-awareness at the end of your last sentence. Holy crap, the irony.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Just massively underwhelming.

The year plus hype for this draft coupled with new management expectations from fans was going to be a let down no matter what, but who could’ve predicted this, the least sexiest draft outcome? Yeesh.

Kent’s former client better be worth the price he paid for him. Hopefully he’s not fond of Darnell Nurse still. :sarcasm:

There's definitely the possibility of Reinbacher Darnell Nursing unfortunately. Their prospect profiles are actually pretty eerily similar. I'd say Reinbacher's more sound defensively though.

No... mostly how we seem determined to ruin the most important moment of our 1st round picks lives by forcing our own insecurities on them because we’re scarred by previous regimes inadequacies and bad decisions.

That and the huge sense of entitlement we have with this team.

While I disagree with everything you said, it also has nothing to do with why other fanbases would dislike us, since it's something we do internally. That's just you projecting your own dislikes onto other people.

As to our sense of entitlement, you're damned right we're entitled. We're paying customers, and we're entitled to a good product. If the product sucks, we can voice our displeasure and not buy it anymore. That's our right as consumers.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Every time there's a trade or a draft, we get this reaction from people who think they know better, just to come back a year or 2 later and tell us they will eat crow. Last year was the Dach trade and not picking (W)right. This year it's the draft and Newhook which are both too early to judge. Well this year we're fresh out of crow bitches and you'll get called out for your judgmental attitudes :laugh:

HuGo moves are mostly too early to tell good/bad.

But who has "eaten crow" in the last 10-15 years? The team is at the lowest it's been, I don't think many people "ate crow" recently lol

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I don't even know what are we rebuilding exactly, we are using the same material
1688069504128.png

Reactions: Tanknation

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
And everytime there's a bad pick or a bad trade, there's a bunch of people defending it tooth n nail just like you're doing. They get to eat a lot of crow too. Stop acting like you know better. Nevermind the complete lack of self-awareness at the end of your last sentence. Holy crap, the irony.
I'm not defending anything and there's no irony. If you read my message properly, it is a message board afterall, it's more calling out all the whiners every time management does something, just for them to get a get out of jail free card by saying "I'll eat crow". This fanbase is toxic at the best of times and we're hated everywhere now. Matheson trade was the same as well. Tons of people hated on it, as usual. How's that looking now?

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

But who has "eaten crow" in the last 10-15 years? The team is at the lowest it's been, I don't think many people "ate crow" recently lol

The rose-colored-glasses crowd wouldn't be able to function without delusions. There's no way to call this team successful at anything by any metric.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

You see it in the trade threads all the time....

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
“Hey Kent, get the kids to all come in to the boardroom this afternoon, I know how I will figure out who our guy is.” -Bobrov probably
02D09F04-E12F-43A8-B82F-50680E18150B.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad