Post-Game Talk: Requiem for the 2023 NHL Draft

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Who's been right? HuGo has been on the job for only it's 2nd draft. No way to tell yet. The Dach trade a whole lot of you were wrong. Slaf played 39 games as an 18 year old, so too early to tell. Just people jumping to conclusions way too early.

Hugo's continuing to make the same baffling decisions as previous regimes.

The problem in this case is the philosophy. No one wants to watch New Jersey Devils '03 defensive hockey while we STILL fail. That's what we've had to live with for 30 years and that's the direction our roster is trending with our complete lack of talent up front.

You may be cool with mediocrity and a boring product, but some of us are allowed to have standards.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Every time there's a trade or a draft, we get this reaction from people who think they know better, just to come back a year or 2 later and tell us they will eat crow. Last year was the Dach trade and not picking (W)right. This year it's the draft and Newhook which are both too early to judge. Well this year we're fresh out of crow bitches and you'll get called out for your judgmental attitudes :laugh:
And yet this team has nothing to show for it, and is the only team other than Seattle to have not had a player have a point per game season in the past 15 years.

Seattle has been around for two of those.

Reactions: KikoHunter

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If David Reinbacher turn into a Miro Heiskanen or Moritz Seider type of player for Habs, I'm 100% sure that we all are going to forget about Matvei Michkov.

The russian D intrigue me a lot, same stats in KHL than Shakir Mukhamadullin at same age.

These 3 G's looks very good aswell.

I really like Xhekaj pick, little reach, but can be a very very good 4th liner one day and that's a great history for Xhekaj family. I'm a big fan of Arber so.

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
I give a B for the Reinbacher, Fowler, Mittelstadt selections. All the others are C at best with lots of unknown.

It's not as bad as many may think and we will end up with a surefire good defenseman but... a B grade for a 5th overall it's just very underwhelming. Time will tell, I'm excited for Reinbacher because he is good, but if there was very good offers to trade down and get two B prospects I'm not sure what I would of done.

Reinbacher or Wallinder + Moore, Benson + Axel SP ? You're realling hoping he hits full potential. But he looks solid.

We again had the doomed picked. As soon as Smith went off at 4 I didn't like our position and we missed out on a A prospect.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I had to put my dog down today and the draft was underwhelming. Double sad.

But, for the draft, I remember us being a winner in the 2012 draft and it turned out to be awful so who knows.
Yes and now everyone thinks we lost the draft. There are no links between the two, unless you're Nostradamus. That's a non-sequitur anyhow.

Reactions: ToNedOuT

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Not only do I have to follow Michkov, but I also have to follow Askarov and Wood's careers as well to see how the Reinbacher pick stacks up.

We'll see. Can't judge a draft after a day but the amount of hype I felt yesterday at this time compared to what I feel now isn't great.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Very disappointing 2 days:

Took the D while having a shot on Michkov

Gave up 31 and 37 and didn't manage to have more draft power before 69, on a heavy draft

Went clearly by needs after having said they'd always go BPA

Random darts starting the third round, can't comment on those, no idea, lil Xhekaj will be fun tho

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Not only do I have to follow Michkov, but I also have to follow Askarov and Wood's careers as well to see how the Reinbacher pick stacks up.

We'll see. Can't judge a draft after a day but the amount of hype I felt yesterday at this time compared to what I feel now isn't great.
Wood was 7th on my board, Reinbacher 10th.

Tough to swallow for me when we, as rumours have it, could have both had a better prospect and not had to spend half our picks on goalies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Who's been right? HuGo has been on the job for only it's 2nd draft. No way to tell yet. The Dach trade a whole lot of you were wrong. Slaf played 39 games as an 18 year old, so too early to tell. Just people jumping to conclusions way too early.
I trust Sakic though. He's been around for a couple of years and has done a very good job so far. The way he dumped Newhook like an old rag for Colton and a russian Samuel Girard wanabe who walk like he got a stick deep in his *** should be a cause of concern for everyone including the most devout of our fans.

Maybe KH played Sakic on this one but i would definitely no bet on it. What i've seen of Newhook so far i'd say the guy looks a lot like a Ryder or Tatar (not the playstyle but kind of player). Some skills and flashes will probably do well in the reg if you give him TOI but total ghost in palyoffs so far.

I don't think there should be any comparison made with the Dach trade. Dach is a 3rd overall pick who was 1 year younger. He was dumped by a badly managed team who was dumping everything to tank and draft Bedard. He was also younger than Romanov and had lot more potential than Newhook. Most people liked the Dach trade from what i remember btw. Some guys said they'd rather take the pick but were not overly critical of it.

I wish i'm wrong. I wish Sakic is wrong. I wish it's going to be a stroke of genius for KH. But i would definitely not bet on it. Newhook will have a lot of things to prove this season. We need top 6 talents. I'm sorry for the believers but Josh Anderson doesn't cut it. He's a 3rd line guy at this point of his career. Newhook will have to be part of the solution. He's 22 now. He needs to show some progress in his game this year.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I trust Sakic though. He's been around for a couple of years and has done a very good job so far. The way he dumped Newhook like an old rag for Colton and a russian Samuel Girard wanabe who walk like he got a stick deep in his *** should be a cause of concern for everyone including the most devout of our fans.

Maybe KH played Sakic on this one but i would definitely no bet on it. What i've seen of Newhook so far i'd say the guy looks a lot like a Ryder or Tatar (not the playstyle but kind of player). Some skills and flashes will probably do well in the reg if you give him TOI but total ghost in palyoffs so far.

I don't think there should be any comparison made with the Dach trade. Dach is a 3rd overall pick who was 1 year younger. He was dumped by a badly managed team who was dumping everything to tank and draft Bedard. He was also younger than Romanov and had lot more potential than Newhook. Most people liked the Dach trade from what i remember btw. Some guys said they'd rather take the pick but were not overly critical of it.

I wish i'm wrong. I wish Sakic is wrong. I wish it's going to be a stroke of genius for KH. But i would definitely not bet on it. Newhook will have a lot of things to prove this season. We need top 6 talents. I'm sorry for the believers but Josh Anderson doesn't cut it. He's 3rd line guy at this point of his career. Newhook will have to be part of the solution. He's 22 now. He needs to show some progress in his game this year.
A lot of AVS fans say he was mismanaged by the team as well. They were in their cup run and didn't take the time to develop him. We will see.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I support the Reinbacher pick.

I thought for sure they would trade back to recover one of the 2 picks we lost.

Alas, that did not happen (and no other assets have been added) but I remain feeling things are too incomplete to evaluate at this stage.

Proofs in the pudding… but that’s no fun.

I will say this too… Matvei look like a lil tubber, reminds me of Kessel (not that that is too much of a bad thing…)

Reactions: Sterling Archer

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Just massively underwhelming.

The year plus hype for this draft coupled with new management expectations from fans was going to be a let down no matter what, but who could’ve predicted this, the least sexiest draft outcome? Yeesh.

Kent’s former client better be worth the price he paid for him. Hopefully he’s not fond of Darnell Nurse still. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I'm starting to understand why we’re so hated amongst other fanbases

The delusional idea that this organization has actually been competent for 30 years? The belief that our fans are smarter than everyone else? The fact that some of our fans vastly overrate all of our middling prospects and players on the main boards? Our arrogance despite the fact we haven't accomplished anything in 30 years?

Those things ringing a bell?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Michkov????
1688068201548.gif

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
The delusional idea that this organization has actually been competent for 30 years? The belief that our fans are smarter than everyone else? The fact that some of our fans vastly overrate all of our middling prospects and players on the main boards? Our arrogance despite the fact we haven't accomplished anything in 30 years?

Those things ringing a bell?

Reactions: FloJack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad