Post-Game Talk: Requiem for the 2023 NHL Draft

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Interesting comments about the reaction fans had on social media. Seems to have really surprised management
The fact that they are surprised makes me chuckle.

Last season, you had HuGo giggling at the idea of offence style Habs, with two mammoth size offensive players coming in, going for pure O with Mesar and Hutson and basically calling Dach to tell him that we’ll play O like we used to in street hockey when we were kids.

This season the draft table was as fun as a funeral, passed up on what seemed to be a really gifted O player, didn’t pay the price on PLD (another mammoth sized offensive player) and go for need + 3 goaltenders.

Talk about a STARK contrast. The direction of the wind did a 180. Fans will react to that.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
There's the problem. At one point someone came out with the whole "Russian Bedard" and fans ears perked up without even knowing who he was. After they didn't pick him, they went nuts.
It was the same thing with Wright last year. Some casual fans here some hype about one player, believe its do or die to draft him then freak out about it once we don't pick him.

I wanted Michkov too but its not like we reached on a player like the Yotes nor does it mean the future is screwed (cant make thay judgement days after a draft). Even if the pick is a misfire, blame management, not the kid.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I honestly feel like Reinbacher was a "gamble." Michkov would have been, as well. But I don't look at them taking Reinbacher as a safe pick, because they went for a non-consensus pick. In various rankings, he was ranked between 5th to 10th.
He was safer because he has an NHL floor. Michkov has a never-come-to-the-NHL floor.

So they preferred having a 3rd pair D (floor) then moving from “#2D with no PP” to superstar ceiling.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The fact that they are surprised makes me chuckle.

Last season, you had HuGo giggling at the idea of offence style Habs, with two mammoth size offensive players coming in, going for pure O with Mesar and Hutson and basically calling Dach to tell him that we’ll play O like we used to in street hockey when we were kids.

This season the draft table was as fun as a funeral, passed up on what seemed to be a really gifted O player, didn’t pay the price on PLD (another mammoth sized offensive player) and go for need + 3 goaltenders.

Talk about a STARK contrast. The direction of the wind did a 180. Fans will react to that.
What doesn't help them too was their pre-draft comments of BPA and willing to take risks and pick for the future since picking Michkov aligns with all of that and arguably all of the picks asides from the Fowler picks were reaches. That said, I dont think Ive been such a negative reaction to our 1st round pick before. I think its been 2020 since we had a 1st round pick that didnt spark a huge reaction (2021 was for obvious reasons).

Reactions: Nedved and Gustave

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
These are the same scouts who drafted Beck, Hutson, Mesar & Engstrom last year. Let's not panic here, especially when we don't know much about the players they took this year yet.

We've seen this for years, our fans over valuing our prospects. Hutson is the only guy on that list that is truly impressive and it would shock me if he's not a top 4 dman. A stud. excellent pick.

the rest are maybes, at best, and he has big shoes to fill with some of that 2nd round talent and late picks Timmins made for us. Timmins was just average in the 1st round, and it was time to move on from him.

Bobrov's record in New York worries me. They hit a few spots, but missed on some major talent. Drafting will get exposed, imo, because we don't have the superstar draw NY has with players.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The new buzzwords, "safety" and "culture"... What we did to deserve that ?
They aren't buzzwords, safe choice (safety) at the draft is always about high floor which Reinbacher has, while Michkov do not.

Culture is the type of team the Habs wants to make both in term of work ethics (on and off the ice) and player's behavior (on and off the ice).

Reactions: Guy Larose

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
We've seen this for years, our fans over valuing our prospects. Hutson is the only guy on that list that is truly impressive and it would shock me if he's not a top 4 dman. A stud. excellent pick.

the rest are maybes, at best, and he has big shoes to fill with some of that 2nd round talent and late picks Timmins made for us. Timmins was just average in the 1st round, and it was time to move on from him.

Bobrov's record in New York worries me. They hit a few spots, but missed on some major talent. Drafting will get exposed, imo, because we don't have the superstar draw NY has with players.
The one thing they did seem to do was drafted solid dmen, or acquire them. Fox not included as he wanted to go there.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
His floor is Top-4. His ceiling is being a #1D and one of the most complete D in the league.

His floor is Cam Barker. His Ceiling is Pietrangelo. Hopefully he leans closer to Pietrangelo.

Michkov's floor is Yakupov. His Ceiling is untapped, better #s than Kucherov.

I mean, it'll all play out, Reinbacher is our guy now, but my head is questioning this management team. I'm starting to not like the vibes I get from head office.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
What doesn't help them too was their pre-draft comments of BPA and willing to take risks and pick for the future since picking Michkov aligns with all of that and arguably all of the picks asides from the Fowler picks were reaches. That said, I dont think Ive been such a negative reaction to our 1st round pick before. I think its been 2020 since we had a 1st round pick that didnt spark a huge reaction (2021 was for obvious reasons).
Your observation is correct; everything was pointing at BPA talent and O, as in what was already fairly ingrained in what the new admin was supposed to be about. In with the new Habs, out with the risk adverse Habs. In with being built for fun and O, Out with the « being built from the back to front » (which I was fine with btw).

The reaction is a reaction to the change. Not really the player involved. HOWEVA, If you did in fact send BS though DM at Reinbacher, you need to get your head checked. But it’s not my argument on this particular point; being surprised that the fan reaction is this big confirms to me how tone deaf they are, again. Like I said; the Habs just don’t change, ever.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
The one thing they did seem to do was drafted solid dmen, or acquire them. Fox not included as he wanted to go there.

lol. You give us Fox and our d becomes top 10. Someone posted about finding and drafting guys that want to be in montreal, it's starting to hold some water to me, because look what happened in colombus and calgary and winnipeg.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The delusional idea that this organization has actually been competent for 30 years? The belief that our fans are smarter than everyone else? The fact that some of our fans vastly overrate all of our middling prospects and players on the main boards? Our arrogance despite the fact we haven't accomplished anything in 30 years?

Those things ringing a bell?
Well our fanbase is most definitely smarter than Bergevin

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I rewatched a clip of DR walking up to the stage and its strange hes shaking his head no and doesn't look pleased to even be drafted by the Habs.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I rewatched a clip of DR walking up to the stage and its strange hes shaking his head no and doesn't look pleased to even be drafted by the Habs.

I need to see this clip. It sounds like you're describing disbelief and shock that he's been given an opportunity to play in the nhl. a boy's dream.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
yes, there's irony, genius, you're being super judgmental as you can't accept people see things differently.

See more irony as you're whining about whiners. You're a whiner yourself. You call people judgmental, yet you're being super judgemental. You were like that in the PLD thread. Whining about people, not actually debating.

Every fanbase is hated by other fanbases. Every fanbase is toxic to the same degree, except maybe the Leafs. And more irony again as you are being toxic by being intolerant of different views and sentiments. Instead of simply debating, you act completely triggered.

I mean, if you don't like it here, GTFO, here's the door, good riddance.

Dude, the great majority of moves will not be unanimously accepted. And it's not the same people everytime. Grow the f*** up and realize we all have our own extremely varying likes and dislikes, our own unique desires and expectations.

People have a right to dislike something, adolf.
If other fan bases hate us, perhaps it’s because of the expectation of excellence we strive for. Recency bias or not the Montreal Canadiens are still the most storied franchise in hockey regardless of what Leafs fans might think! If we’re not still striving for multiple Cups why even bother. I’m one of the fortunate ones that saw the late 60s and 70s dynasties. Hopefully before my maker calls me I will see at least one more Cup! HABS FOREVER!!!!!!

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I need to see this clip. It sounds like you're describing disbelief and shock that he's been given an opportunity to play in the nhl. a boy's dream.

Again I may hate this pick but it seems odd he shakes his head and raises both hands up. Hell I may be looking way into it like other pissed off hab fans.

• Wow
Reactions: Nedved

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If you look at the poll in the GDT (or the PGT? One of the many draft threads) DR was far and away one of the lowest picked on the "Who do you want the Habs to take?" poll. There was Michkov, Leonard, and then DR way at the bottom.

I've been a fairweather fan the last two years because of the transition from literally being in the cup final to sucking so bad that the hockey was unwatchable and all my favorite guys leaving. Draft day was the most "diehard" I've been in a while, constantly checking the board/twitter for rumors on if we were actually going to pick Michkov. I just wanted a forward because of how strong this draft was supposed to be for them.

And then what happened happened. And it was a gigantic letdown. As many have said, it was going from "We sucked, but at least Michkov's coming" to "Really, Kent? You think his potentially is a 2D that doesn't play powerplay?" really quick.

Reactions: Runner77

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
They aren't buzzwords, safe choice (safety) at the draft is always about high floor which Reinbacher has, while Michkov do not.

Culture is the type of team the Habs wants to make both in term of work ethics (on and off the ice) and player's behavior (on and off the ice).

Karakter and Rispekt worked pretty well, can't wait to see what Kulture and Safeti would do.
1556013186-idiot.png

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Again I may hate this pick but it seems odd he shakes his head and raises both hands up. Hell I may be looking way into it like other pissed off hab fans.
Watch interviews after. The kid is thrilled. I've done stuff like this after big moments in my life. It's like "Is this really happening? Can't be. Wow" talking to yourself kind of thing.

He seems very nice and humble. Will he become a #1 D? Who knows, but I have no doubts he loved being selected by the Habs after watching post-draft stuff with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad