Post-Game Talk: Requiem for the 2023 NHL Draft

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

I'm not sure what playoffs he's talking about getting reminded what wins the stanley cup. God damn Tampa is filled with skill all throughout their lineup slaughtered us. They had a top 10 d, and probably a # 1 on our team right now that we traded away.

Skill wins 75% of the time. Yeah, Oilers sucks, but they won't give up any quality to solidify their backend. That's more shitty management than players that don't win, and let's not get started with the oilers goalie.

Feels like smartest man in the room. Should put him with MB.

Reactions: Runner77

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I rewatched a clip of DR walking up to the stage and its strange hes shaking his head no and doesn't look pleased to even be drafted by the Habs.

I need to see this clip. It sounds like you're describing disbelief and shock that he's been given an opportunity to play in the nhl. a boy's dream.

Again I may hate this pick but it seems odd he shakes his head and raises both hands up. Hell I may be looking way into it like other pissed off hab fans.

It is nothing.

He was mic'd up and talking to the broadcasters while walking to the floor. That's why he's using the head and hand gestures, because he's literally talking.

Perfect example of something from nothing, not to criticize you at all (as the context wasn't provided and isn't immediately obvious), just a general comment.

Edit: It is pretty shameful I'll say of that website to write that article making it into something that it's very clearly not, and not even mentioning the fact that there's a perfectly good reason for his behaviour. If they didn't know then they should have before publishing.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
This is exactly why I thought Michkov and Montreal were a match made in heaven. The hockey gods literally handed us a gift and we refused.

There's no city or arena where hockey matters more. It's quite frankly hockey's biggest stage.
Yeah based on that report I doubt Michkov was like "Flyers or bust". He probably was eyeing up Montreal, Philly, Detroit and Washington in the top 10.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Philly is a great hockey market, not as great as Montreal but still, if I shrunk the league to 16 teams it would be part of it.

Absolutely.

Just saying from a hockey skew there are no brighter lights than in Montreal. It's why every opposing player will tell you it's their favourite place to play on the road.

There is literally no better place to play, or watch a game on a saturday night, or in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It is nothing.

He was mic'd up and talking to the broadcasters while walking to the floor. That's why he's using the head and hand gestures, because he's literally talking.

Perfect example of something from nothing, not to criticize you at all (as the context wasn't provided and isn't immediately obvious), just a general comment.

Edit: It is pretty shameful I'll say of that website to write that article making it into something that it's very clearly not, and not even mentioning the fact that there's a perfectly good reason for his behaviour. If they didn't know then they should have before publishing.
A lot of those tier of news sites are driven by clickbaits rather than their reputation which leads to some tabloid level reporting. Its sad but it does work in getting clicks.

Reactions: Canadienna

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Absolutely.

Just saying from a hockey skew there are no brighter lights than in Montreal. It's why every opposing player will tell you it's their favourite place to play on the road.

There is literally no better place to play, or watch a game on a saturday night, or in the playoffs.

Of course. Montreal is ground zero of hockey. The real Mecca.

There are some underrated markets in the league though, for example Seattle. Many don't know they already won a Stanley Cup back in the days. Deep hockey roots out west.

They were also the team facing us in 1919 when the Flu Epidemic canceled the Stanley Cup Finals.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Of course. Montreal is ground zero of hockey. The real Mecca.

There are some underrated markets in the league though, for example Seattle. Many don't know they already won a Stanley Cup back in the days. Deep hockey roots out west.

Really love the idea of Seattle! It's a perfect spot IMO. Far better than Vegas. Really curious to see what happens to Vegas when they finally have a downturn.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
And what does that have to do with anything? Hughes would have done the same thing if MB had left with anything to trade. Instead he was left with garbage and vastly overpaid players. And they have already moved the good players that weren't overpaid.
Maybe read the post I was replying to.....

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Yea, no. If people, like myself, see his floor as 2nd pair D and his ceiling as the #1D on the team, then we will share those views. If he's a 3rd pair D, then it's an underachievement.
How in the hell does that make any sense?

If you acknowledge the possible outcome of him being a 3rd pair D, then top 4 is by definition not a floor. Hello?!

There is no such thing as a safe pick for 18 year olds save for the truly generational talents. Some can be relatively more likely to hit than others, but not safe to anywhere near the confidence level that would make them slam dunk NHL contributors. There are too many examples of failure from players fitting that type of profile for that to be true.

Drafting that way early not only makes it unlikely to yield high-end results, but is also nowhere near foolproof.

Reactions: dcyhabs

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
As we get closer to the end of the season for most of the prospects drafted in 2023, I thought it would be great to look back at this thread.

There was a lot of doom and gloom after the 2023 draft, but looking back in hindsight, the Habs scouts hit it out of the f***ing park (you can argue about the Reinbacher pick, but he will be a damn good defenseman). For a team that only had 2 picks in the Top 100 (5 + 69), I don't think there was a weak pick in the lot (I mean maybe besides Luke Mittlestadt).

David Reinbacher
Bogdan Konyushkov
Luke Mittlestadt

Jacob Fowler
Yevgeni Volokhin
Quentin Miller

Florian Xhekaj
Filip Eriksson
Sam Harris

All of these players have shown something positive and have taken a step forward this season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
As we get closer to the end of the season for most of the prospects drafted in 2023, I thought it would be great to look back at this thread.

There was a lot of doom and gloom after the 2023 draft, but looking back in hindsight, the Habs scouts hit it out of the f***ing park (you can argue about the Reinbacher pick, but he will be a damn good defenseman). For a team that only had 2 picks in the Top 100 (5 + 69), I don't think there was a weak pick in the lot (I mean maybe besides Luke Mittlestadt).

David Reinbacher
Bogdan Konyushkov
Luke Mittlestadt

Jacob Fowler
Yevgeni Volokhin
Quentin Miller

Florian Xhekaj
Filip Eriksson
Sam Harris

All of these players have shown something positive and have taken a step forward this season.

If I wanted to nitpick the draft (apart from the obvious #5 debate):

Ilyin over Miller at 129. Got two other goalies and not enough forwards.
Gill or Mukhanov over Harris at 133. Talent over buzzsaw you can often get as UDFA or cheap UFA
Rimashevsky, Levis, Wisdom, Copponi or Fink would all have been way better than Mittlestadt. That was the pick I still don't understand.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
At draft day, I'm a mad man. Today, I'm really happy with the high pick we have with David Reinbacher. If he have the same impact of a Noah Dobson, that's a huge piece for the future.

The only players I would selected before him it's Benson, Leonard or Michkov. But again, I understand why Habs scouts fall in love with Reinbacher. His style is perfect for NHL, he have amazing defensive IQ.at young age. He will be a top steady two-way RD. In the mold of Pietrangelo, Dobson and Seider. That's a very huge piece to add for playoffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reading some of this thread, Lot of upset posters at the time. They seemed to have chilled a bit now. Michkov must be pretty bad what Hughes knew about him. A 100 point guy hard to pass on

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
It is nothing.

I remember thinking to myself “ damn let the kid have this moment walking up to the stage”. You saw he was trying and they just kept asking questions in his earpiece. Felt bad for the kid as he struggled to hear what they were asking. For it to be turned around like that plus the hate mail? Unreal. I hope this kid serves crow to everyone who cast shade on him because he’s going to be a stud

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At draft day, I'm a mad man. Today, I'm really happy with the high pick we have with David Reinbacher. If he have the same impact of a Noah Dobson, that's a huge piece for the future.

The only players I would selected before him it's Benson, Leonard or Michkov. But again, I understand why Habs scouts fall in love with Reinbacher. His style is perfect for NHL, he have amazing defensive IQ.at young age. He will be a top steady two-way RD. In the mold of Pietrangelo, Dobson and Seider. That's a very huge piece to add for playoffs.
I'm still worried Michkov becomes an elite offensive talent and we passed on him. But neither he nor Reinbacher are in the NHL, so we still don't have a clue if the Habs got it right. I admire your optimism and really hope you're right!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2023 draft:

- Reinbacher: 2 pts (1G, 1A) in 3 GP in the AHL for his NA pro start.
- Fowler: 2 wins away from setting a record for most wins by a freshman goalie. Has a .925 SV% at the moment.
- Xhekaj: 65 pts (34G, 31A) in 63 GP in OHL regular season
- Konyushkov: 28 pts (6G, 22A) in 65 GP playing top pair in KHL.
- Miller: Since trade to Rimouski, has posted a .917 SV% in 15 GP.
- Harris: Slow start, but has been hot of late, posting 15 pts (10G, 5A) in last 17 GP.
- Volokhin: Posted a 1.57 GAA and a .938 SV% in 35 GP in MHL.
- Eriksson: Posted 24 pts (10G, 14A) in 21 GP in Allsvenskan. Also played SHL and Champions League, now in SHL playoffs.
- Mittlestadt: Not an overly offensive season. But he did post 17 pts in the last 24 GP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad