Rumor: Report: Red Wings want 1st-round pick for Nyquist, Howard

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Nyquist I can understand bringing back a 1st. Howard has played well, but he's a age 35 goalie and his salary is $5+ million. Sorry, Howard is not worth a 1st, even if salary is retained.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I know how negotiating works perfectly. How is that relevant to my post? I know teams start that ask high, but that doesn't change the fact that Howard won't get a first or anywhere close. I'm not wrong.

What point are you making here?
Agree to disagree or whatever you want to call it but this conversation is adding zero to the thread.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So you can't respond to a title that says something outrageous because it's "obvious?" In that case, what's the point of this thread? Because neither of those two are worth the wants the wings want.

And I wasn't bragging about being employed. You effectively asked me why I didn't read the 8 pages and I told you that I have finite amounts of free time due to work and I don't find it useful of my free time to read 8 pages talking about a player who isn't on my favorite team.

Who said you can't? But then people will sigh at you. Point of the thread? Like all trade threads. Discuss what you think your team would actually offer for Howard. Which you havent done.

If you don't find it useful or interesting. Don't comment in a thread. It's just friendly advice so you don't look foolish.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Who said you can't? But then people will sigh at you. Point of the thread? Like all trade threads. Discuss what you think your team would actually offer for Howard. Which you havent done.

If you don't find it useful or interesting. Don't comment in a thread. It's just friendly advice so you don't look foolish.
So you can't comment something obvious without getting hassled by the thread police? Okay.

I discussed what they weren't worth based on the title of the thread. Completely relevant. I would have been happy to discuss their actual worth, but you jumped down my throat the first post I made ITT.

I did find the title interesting, which is why I responded.

BTW, some poster on page 9 said Howard isn't worth a first. You better let him know that obvious responses like that aren't allowed in this thread without catching heat from the thread police.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So you can't comment something obvious without getting hassled by the thread police? Okay.

I discussed what they weren't worth based on the title of the thread. Completely relevant. I would have been happy to discuss their actual worth, but you jumped down my throat the first post I made ITT.

I did find the title interesting, which is why I responded.

BTW, some poster on page 9 said Howard isn't worth a first. You better let him know that obvious responses like that aren't allowed in this thread without catching heat from the thread police.

Why didnt you inlude that in your original post then? Aw, "thread police". That's cute. It's not policing or saying you're not allowed. I've already told you that. But you don't seem to grasp the concepts that has been conveyed to you. Quickly jumping on defense and talking about being employed instead. Like no one else is employed here.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not being traded for a 1st doesn't mean he received solid offers that he turned down. Like I said, he's not going to pass on a couple of 2nds or a pick and a prospect he covets. But if he gets offered nothing more than packaged late picks or polarizing prospects he's a skeptic of, then it doesn't make sense to move a guy who still has use to you in the next few years and doesn't command a long-term deal.
where have you seen that he won't command a long-term deal?

Reactions: H3ckt1k

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Why didnt you inlude that in your original post then? Aw, "thread police". That's cute. It's not policing or saying you're not allowed. I've already told you that. But you don't seem to grasp the concepts that has been conveyed to you. Quickly jumping on defense and talking about being employed instead. Like no one else is employed here.
Because I responded to the title in my OP?

What concepts didn't I grasp? I responded to everyone who replied to my posts with articulate responses.

Never said anyone else wasn't employed. Again, I responded to your suggestion to read the thread and why it wasn't an useful time sink for me, an Islanders fan, to read 8 pages about Red Wings players. One post responding to a title takes a few seconds. Reading 8 pages is considerably more.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
where have you seen that he won't command a long-term deal?

Well what do you consider a long-term deal? I consider it more than 3 years, but even then I think Howard will have to fight for that third year. And why? It's common sense. He's UFA and will be 35. The Wings aren't going to commit that much time to him in the midst of a rebuild, especially one they are trying to expedite, and no other team will either because of that 35+ clause.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well what do you consider a long-term deal? I consider it more than 3 years, but even then I think Howard will have to fight for that third year. And why? It's common sense. He's UFA and will be 35. The Wings aren't going to commit that much time to him in the midst of a rebuild, especially one they are trying to expedite, and no other team will either because of that 35+ clause.
Oh my bad, I was referring to Nyquist the whole time

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In addition to that, Wings - Flames are bad trading partners. Clearly we have nothing you want/need; you have nothing we want/need.
Clearly we do have things your fans want since it's Wings fans trying to get our picks/prospects/young players. the cost being suggested. Don't get me wrong, we wouldn't mind Nyqvist or Kronwall, just not the cost being suggested.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Nope Wings don't need Burakovsky. We'd be more interested in Bowey or something around him. No way we retain that much on Nyquist to the Caps without their 2019 1st rounder being involved.
I doubt it. When Nyquist was Burakovsky’s age he had 13 points in the NHL. Why would the Wings want a younger, cheaper version of the player they’re giving up.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Nope Wings don't need Burakovsky. We'd be more interested in Bowey or something around him. No way we retain that much on Nyquist to the Caps without their 2019 1st rounder being involved.

Cap retention on a UFA isn’t worth the bump to a 1st. And of course Detroit doesn’t need Burakovsky, but they could absolutely use him. It’s not like Detroit has 6 top 9 forwards next year. And his development fits our age group. It also makes sense if Detroit really does want to do what they can to expedite the rebuild. What is Detroit going to do with Bowery? He’ll be 24 in 2 months and has never averaged 14 minutes in an NHL season. Bowey needs NHL development, not AHL, but Detroit can’t afford to have 3 developing defenseman in the lineup next year.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's pretty good, I'd be interested in this from the Flames.

Pretty good? Yeah - if it were 2015. A cap dump, and 2 AHLers.

It’s like trading for Steve Mason, Tomas Jurco, and Jacob De La Rose. Bunch of junk with a 1st tacked on.

I'd do this in a heartbeat but I would rather not take Smith but hell that 1st sounds nice

Your issue with the return is Smith? He’s on the roster for like 6 weeks. We’re basically giving up both of Howard and Nyquist.

I wouldn’t complain about this trade because of the 1st but it’s nowhere near good.

Reactions: Oddbob

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Don't get me wrong, we wouldn't mind Nyqvist or Kronwall, just not the cost being suggested.

Hence no deal to be made and not good trading partners. Wings will likely want to work with clubs that are willing to pay fair value, you can "not mind having those players (Nyquist/Kronwall)", but clearly you don't need them. I'm sure there's a deal out there for you. Just not here.

Good luck with your search.

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
Nyqvist could get a low first-round pick. I could see him being a fit on Calgary, Dallas, Columbus or Washington.

Howard would not return a first-round pick, maybe a late second at the highest. Also don't know which team would consider trading for Jimmy Howard right now.

NYQUIST gets a 1st, HOWARD gets a late 2nd and a 3rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad