Rumor: Report: Red Wings want 1st-round pick for Nyquist, Howard

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Red Wings set high asking price for Gustav Nyquist, Jimmy Howard

The Red Wings, 13 points out of the final playoff spot, will be sellers. To what extent remains to be seen. They have some pending unrestricted free agents that would draw interest, namely Gustav Nyquist and Jimmy Howard.
The Red Wings, according to someone with knowledge of the situation, have set a high asking price for each player – a first-round pick. They don’t expect to get that for either.
That’s why they will try to re-sign Howard and Nyquist.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Of course they do. Thats where it always starts in the time leading up to the trade deadline. Do they get what they want? Maybe. Players of less quality were traded for them.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Only way Howard gets traded for a high draft pick imo is if a starting goaltender for a top contending teamgets injured for the season before the trade deadline. I can't see Howard being in high demand at the deadline.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Nyqvist could get a low first-round pick. I could see him being a fit on Calgary, Dallas, Columbus or Washington.

Howard would not return a first-round pick, maybe a late second at the highest. Also don't know which team would consider trading for Jimmy Howard right now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nyquist on pace for 70 points. Should get that pretty easily.

Howard is the one that's far fetched. More or less Holland sending a message that he's keeping Jimmy unless you blow his mind.

Ya sorry i meant good luck with getting a 1st for Howard... Nyquist it wouldnt surprise me if they got a late one

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Howard is not getting a first round pick, no way. Who was the last goalie to get first round pick as a rental? Miller? If a rental goalie gets a first back, it will be Bobrovsky.

I could certainly see Nyquist getting a late first, though, especially when we know what Tatar got last year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Howard is tough just because the goaltender market is going to be thin at the deadline. Tampa got a recent 2nd round pick + throw in late round picks for Bishop a season removed from a top 3 Vezina finish. I don't think they'll have a problem moving Nyquist for that price though.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Nyquist on pace for 70 points. Should get that pretty easily.

Howard is the one that's far fetched. More or less Holland sending a message that he's keeping Jimmy unless you blow his mind.

Howard said he will gladly sign with the Red Wings again this summer if they want him him again and that he is not interested going somewhere else. Holland would be an idiot not to trade him, and then sign him back. Why keep him in that line-up for the rest of the year? Makes no sense. Might as well play Bernier.

Reactions: njx9

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wont get that for Howard imo. goalies value is hard to put a finger on. If you're a PO team, you have a goalie that is likely superior or equal to Howard. I don't see a team spending a 1st on Howard BARRING injuries to their starter

Nyquist I can see.... lot of chatter w/ EDM fans of a 2nd+D prospect (Bear). But i think he could get bidded to a top 15 protected 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad