Rumor: Report: Red Wings want 1st-round pick for Nyquist, Howard

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some fans are a bit optimistic. Some guys won’t get moved. So Stone and Duchene each get 1sts. Skinner stays in Buffalo. Panarin goes back to Chicago for reasons I can’t understand. Now only 2 1st rounders have been used, but the pool has already gotten pretty shallow. There are going to be several teams hanging around with picks in the 25-31 range that want to improve.
Some won't be willing to move their 1st for a rental. Some (San Jose) has already moved their 1st. You have to factor in things like that too. Some of these guys are going to go for a 2nd and a B prospect or two.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I suspect the Flames inquired but I can’t see them giving up anything of significance for Howard. I had thought they might try to get an upgrade on Smith as a backup/1b, but Smith has been ok lately, so I think that ship may have sailed.

If anything the Flames are likely looking for some depth at wing.

I think the Sharks and the Flames are in a very similar position with their needs. They both are experiencing poor goaltending and would also like some depth for their wingers. At the same time, I just don't see either of those teams giving up a 1st round pick for a goalie. Not that SJ has a 1st round pick to begin with.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
Neither are worth a first round pick, and I am a lifelong red wings fan.

Holland, with the majority of the fan base (not all, but a majority) over value our assets to such an extreme that I cringe when I open any proposal involving Detroit.

Reactions: taliababa

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Holland, with the majority of the fan base (not all, but a majority) over value our assets to such an extreme that I cringe when I open any proposal involving Detroit.

People keep saying this but Tatar got a 1st+2nd+3rd and Smith got a 2nd+3rd I believe. Tatar had more value with not being a rental, but Nyquist is having a far better year than he was. Multiple deadlines in a row, Holland has gotten more than people expected. I’m not banking on it again, but I’m not going to be surprised if Nyquist gets a 1st and Howard a 2nd or more. Holland loves his roster players and generally doesn’t let them go for fair value, yet alone underpayment.

Reactions: Oddbob

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Holland wants a first for each player.. maybe he settles for a first, a prospect and a camp dump? And packages them together? Has that idea already been tossed around on these boards?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Every fanbase has a section of people who overvalue their assets and why shouldn't we right now? We don't have all that much to look forward to yet

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I know I cringed when Ken Holland traded Brendan (Clears Waivers) Smith for a 2nd and a 3rd, and again when he traded Tatar for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd.

What in the world was he thinking when he over-valued those players and took advantage of those poor GMs? He should refund those poor guys everything + interest for overcharging!!! Shame on him!!!

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016

Nyquist is worth a first, he is a hell of a player. It is unfortunate for Detroit that so many elite players contracts are up, because in a normal year he is one of the top rentals available. I have always preferred Nyquist to Tatar (as a Wings fan it’s inevitable to compare) and his “contract year” is in direct correlation to Dylan Larkin taking a huge jump in playmaking which has me excited.

Nyquist will command a good return, and whatever fan base receives him will be grateful. He is underrated.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I cringe anytime I see someone define a players value as objective and static rather than subjective and variable.

Maybe Howard isn't worth a first to you but that doesn't mean someone else is wrong for valuing him at a first. Example, George McPhee thought Tatar was worth a first ++ while much of this board thought he was worth a 2nd + a prospect.

A team like Tampa or Toronto might not offer more than a 3rd for Nyquist but that doesn't prevent another team like Nashville or Calgary from offering a 1st (not saying they will, but demonstrating a point that every team would value him a little differently.).

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Ryan Reaves got traded for a 1st, so anything is legit possible.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
What would Detroit ask from the Habs for Nyquist if they took Daley back in the deal as well?

Richard Menzel

Jan 23, 2019
I cringe anytime I see someone define a players value as objective and static rather than subjective and variable.

Maybe Howard isn't worth a first to you but that doesn't mean someone else is wrong for valuing him at a first. Example, George McPhee thought Tatar was worth a first ++ while much of this board thought he was worth a 2nd + a prospect.

A team like Tampa or Toronto might not offer more than a 3rd for Nyquist but that doesn't prevent another team like Nashville or Calgary from offering a 1st (not saying they will, but demonstrating a point that every team would value him a little differently.).

Nyquist is worth a 1st to a contender, a pick that late is like a 2nd.... If people think he is a 2nd rd pick are wrong because that is more like a 3rd rd pick!! on pace for 70+ points that = 1st rd pick!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad