Report: Red Wings expected to bring back Ken Holland

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
That's a shame. I was hoping they'd bring back Nill for the draft rebuild years.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Holland needs to step up and clean out all the crap contracts, any way he can. Completely infuse the roster with young players. I bet with opportunity, you'd find a lot of Marty frk types in the system. Build through draft like he's doing, and just be patient. It's hard for such a successful organization to go through this. But honestly, his signings are my only issues with him as an outsider.

Holland negotiated all those crap contracts in the first place.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
*checks Red Wings CapFriendly page*

Good lord

Zetterberg should do that team a favor and retire

AA and Larkin both need contracts too, yeah Green is off the books after the season but man they are in serious trouble

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why is this such a bad thing?

Holland deserves a chance to start the rebuild. He did a great job keeping a winning team winning, and pushed good teams over the top. He's never been in charge of a full rebuild before, so why would anyone assume he will do a bad job?

He sure got the first step right with the Tatar trade!
No. Don’t be reasonable. Obviously Holland can not rebuild based on never being forced to do.

Just look at all the other GMs that have built winning teams with ZERO top 14 draft picks. Just look at all the other GMs that have never gone through non-playoff years or had to re-stock their team’s youth pipeline. And of course all of the GMs that have never signed some bad contracts.

It’s mindboggling that Holland gets so much hate while guys like Yzerman (missed playoffs with contender-quality roster), Bowman (missing playoffs with prime Cup quality core), Chayka (accomplished nothing), Nill (failure after failure) and others are or have been celebrated as geniuses.
At minimum, Holland deserves a chance to truly rebuild.

Good lord

AA and Larkin both need contracts too, yeah Green is off the books after the season but man they are in serious trouble
Get real, they are in zero trouble cap-wise. If Tavares wants to come to Detroit they’ll need to do some things to fit him in, but that goes for everyone. They have the money they need and probably more.

Holland needs to step up and clean out all the crap contracts, any way he can. Completely infuse the roster with young players. I bet with opportunity, you'd find a lot of Marty frk types in the system. Build through draft like he's doing, and just be patient. It's hard for such a successful organization to go through this. But honestly, his signings are my only issues with him as an outsider.
No need to speak in abstracts, who are the ”Marty Frk types” in the system? Wings will get a youth infusion but it’s not there quite yet. Next year Svechnikov, Turgeon, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek and Hicketts will be full or part-timers. They’re not rushing no-name prospects just because.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Good lord

Zetterberg retires and we get crippling cap recapture penalties. LTIRetired is a different issue obviously.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I’m going to give him a chance now that he’s changed his plan a bit.

He’s actually done a very good job the last two years trying to turn the tide with trades and picks.

Also, those wondering about Z’s contract. It’s no biggie. He’s second in team scoring and would still be a borderline 60P guy on good team. His contract is actually fair; it’s not like the Wings need the space anyways.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He did, kudos to Holland for that. He failed the other first step by getting zero for Green though.

I agree with that, to an extent. I actually posted in the TDL winners/losers thread that it was stupid for them to not trade him.

But Holland himself was open about the fact that Green's his injury made it harder to trade him (link) saying "That had everything to do with Mike Green remaining a Red Wing. [...] Two teams wanted to know specifically what was going on with his injury and that had a real bearing on their decision."

Plus it's been suggested that Green even blocked one trade to the Leafs (link), and waived for Tampa and Washington. Then Tampa got McDonagh, and Washington couldn't make the cap work.

Now it sounds like they might try to re-sign him (link), so maybe Holland will salvage the situation a bit. Not the way Holland wanted it to go, but a lot was out of his control. You can't hold this one against the GM too much.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No. Don’t be reasonable. Obviously Holland can not rebuild based on never being forced to do.

Just look at all the other GMs that have built winning teams with ZERO top 14 draft picks. Just look at all the other GMs that have never gone through non-playoff years or had to re-stock their team’s youth pipeline. And of course all of the GMs that have never signed some bad contracts.

It’s mindboggling that Holland gets so much hate while guys like Yzerman (missed playoffs with contender-quality roster), Bowman (missing playoffs with prime Cup quality core), Chayka (accomplished nothing), Nill (failure after failure) and others are or have been celebrated as geniuses.
At minimum, Holland deserves a chance to truly rebuild.

These are a lot of bad takes.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If they hire someone to stop him from overpaying third liners maybe it wont be so bad. Detroits gonna have some not miss picks coming up so pretty much anyone can be the face of the rebuild i guess?

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wow. Figured Holland was a goner. Guy had a good run with the team but it's for the best that Detroit moves on from him.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I agree with that, to an extent. I actually posted in the TDL winners/losers thread that it was stupid for them to not trade him.

But Holland himself was open about the fact that Green's his injury made it harder to trade him (link) saying "That had everything to do with Mike Green remaining a Red Wing. [...] Two teams wanted to know specifically what was going on with his injury and that had a real bearing on their decision."

Plus it's been suggested that Green even blocked one trade to the Leafs (link), and waived for Tampa and Washington. Then Tampa got McDonagh, and Washington couldn't make the cap work.

Now it sounds like they might try to re-sign him (link), so maybe Holland will salvage the situation a bit. Not the way Holland wanted it to go, but a lot was out of his control. You can't hold this one against the GM too much.

Didn’t know his, thanks for those links. That said, when you hold on to an injury prone player until the last minute, the risk (and the blame) falls at the feet of the GM, to an extent.

Reactions: iSophagus

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I get where the hate comes from. He definitely has his warts in terms of contracts given out, and the state the team is in right now. For all we know though ownership could have been telling him to stay competitive while Mr.Illitch was still alive. Pretty sure a story came out about the Tigers trying to stay competitive even though you could tell the team was getting worse and the best course of action was a rebuild.

Holland has obviously given himself a good start to the rebuild by having 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds this year. Already has an extra 2nd, 3rd and 5th for next season as well as 2 expiring contracts that he can trade at the deadline for picks/prospects (Nyquist and Kronwall).

He has roughly 16 mill in cap space to sign 5 RFA's, none of which should command a big contract. Crap on him all you want the team isn't in as bad of a situation as the outcry would make you think.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
While obviously the main culprit for the Wing’s current problems, ever since Holland saw the writing on the wall last year I really don’t dislike any of the moves he made, and he actually overperformed both trade deadlines in regards to return, even with Mike Green being injured and unable to be moved.

Past two years he traded away

Tatar (1,2,3)
Jurco (3rd)
Ott (6th)
Mrazek (3rd and conditionsk 4th)
Vanek (3rd)
And Brendan Smith (2nd, 3rd).

And in return got
A 1st, two seconds, 5 thirds, a conditional 4th and a 6th.

That’s a solid return for a whole lot of nothing tbh, and if Green hadn’t got hurt at the worst possible time, there would have been at least another second

His 2017 Draft might have been the worst of all 31 teams.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Mailbag: Devils' playoff chances, Red Wings' rebuild
"They also need center Michael Rasmussen, the No. 9 pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, to become a difference-maker, and left wing Evgeny Svechnikov, the No. 19 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, to be an impact player sooner rather than later. They picked Svechnikov before the Minnesota Wild took center Joel Eriksson Ek at No. 20, the Vancouver Canucks selected forward Brock Boeser at No. 23 and the Flyers chose forward Travis Konecny at No. 24. It would look even worse if Svechnikov is a draft bust because those three players are certainly not. Defenseman Dennis Cholowski, the No. 20 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, also needs to become an impact player."

They need, they need, they need.....they need all the planets to be aligned and for shooting stars to shoot across the sky every night for a few weeks....and...

Seriously, it appears as though he should have been canned yesterday?

He might not be the worst but he's crippling the Red Wings right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad