[Report] Marner Carjacked at Gunpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Here people don‘t really show off. Most mind their own business and privacy is paramount. Like everything else, firearms ownership is an aspect of someone‘s private sphere of affairs. If someone owns firearms, it‘s considered perfectly normal. So is hunting, sporting competitions with firearms, collecting them. Self defense… well, conceal carry practically doesn‘t exist because you have to provide a real reason for carrying and those can only be a) there is a proven threat to your life or b) your profession makes you a target for acts of violence, say for example if you carry very valuable stuff. Within your property, you can use a firearm for self defense, but you can only use it if there‘s a real threat to your or your loved ones‘ health. If you do, it‘s 100% guaranteed that there will be an investigation to ascertain whether you had a just cause to use it.

This makes a ton of sense. I feel like it is a little different here. Showing off can get you pretty far. If you want to show off power, guns are an effective tool of proving that you wield it. I can't speak to what drives someone to need to show that off. That's a whole other thing.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If you only have liability than the vehicle definitely isn't worth fighting for.

No I don't know you but lying helps your argument so you do have something and I don't believe for a second that someone with 40k posts on hfboards has been living in the hood for the past 20 years.

It's exactly why I have 40k posts to begin with(25 k in first few years mainly spamming GDTs). Hockey's been my biggest escape. When you live in an underserved population, you need an outlet to not be associated or sucked in by the negativity, it's either sports or music there. My life has revolved around education and hockey; both driven by what I experienced. I have 5 degrees soon about to be 6 once I complete my doctorate. I've lost brothers to gang violence. You have a small lens of the world if you think you cannot meet unique individuals anywhere--especially ones with hardcore hobbies(influenced by life experiences).

Reactions: Zach716 and andora

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This makes a ton of sense. I feel like it is a little different here. Showing off can get you pretty far. If you want to show off power, guns are an effective tool of proving that you wield it. I can't speak to what drives someone to need to show that off. That's a whole other thing.
It‘s a whole different attitude here. Showing off is pretty much scoffed at, for absolutely everything. Also the difference in mentality is if there‘s a problem with someone, violence is not among the first options for sure. When it comes to gun owners, it‘s probably the LAST option, because if you are convicted of a VIOLENT crime, you also say goodbye for good to your firearms and you can‘t buy any more.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
If you only have liability than the vehicle definitely isn't worth fighting for.

No I don't know you but lying helps your argument so you do have something and I don't believe for a second that someone with 40k posts on hfboards has been living in the hood for the past 20 years.

Would like to see your model on HFboard posts and correlation to quality of life that apparently exists. Also shits on CanadienSharks claims about living in a ghetto town too (either in the US or CA who knows since he never clarified) since he also has about 36k posts lol

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019

You’re argument is wrong entirely. I’m a single dad that needs a car for my child. I agreed to a stupid amount of child support which leaves me having to take cuts in other areas (health insurance and only liability). I need my car to see my kid. I need my car for work. I need my car for other things. No my car isn’t great, but it easily has another ten to fifteen years and I depend on it. A stolen vehicle would ruin me and impact my kid. If I could defend my property I 100% would.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019

Attachments

• CE7F3043-DCED-4550-9B55-B799A49F30F6.jpeg
    CE7F3043-DCED-4550-9B55-B799A49F30F6.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's exactly why I have 40k posts to begin with(25 k in first few years mainly spamming GDTs). Hockey's been my biggest escape. When you live in an underserved population, you need an outlet to not be associated or sucked in by the negativity, it's either sports or music there. My life has revolved around education and hockey; both driven by what I experienced. I have 5 degrees soon about to be 6 once I complete my doctorate. I've lost brothers to gang violence. You have a small lens of the world if you think you cannot meet unique individuals anywhere--especially ones with hardcore hobbies(influenced by life experiences).
Of course you can find unique individuals. Don't really think posting a ton on a message board makes you unique but whatever. Your story might be true I really don't care because it doesn't change your ridiculous opinion that getting in a gun fight to save a car is a good idea.

You’re argument is wrong entirely. I’m a single dad that needs a car for my child. I agreed to a stupid amount of child support which leaves me having to take cuts in other areas (health insurance and only liability). I need my car to see my kid. I need my car for work. I need my car for other things. No my car isn’t great, but it easily has another ten to fifteen years and I depend on it. A stolen vehicle would ruin me and impact my kid. If I could defend my property I 100% would.
Well, that's a tough situation but getting killed in a gun fight isn't going to help.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
As someone who has lived in Surrey, BC and who has traveled war-torn areas of Africa/South America as a documentary cameraman in his early-20s, I can attest that being held at gunpoint is the most terrifying thing that a person can experience. All Leafs jokes aside, I really feel for Marner and this is no laughing matter. Glad he's okay.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
why are people bagging on his Range Rover? most of those guys buy one of those for their wives to haul the kids around in. Not sure why more don't have Cayennes instead but whatever.

hope he's just shook by it and not traumatized--it's a scary thing and i know people who've altered their behavior greatly and others who just go about everything as they did before.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
why are people bagging on his Range Rover? most of those guys buy one of those for their wives to haul the kids around in. Not sure why more don't have Cayennes instead but whatever.

hope he's just shook by it and not traumatized--it's a scary thing and i know people who've altered their behavior greatly and others who just go about everything as they did before.

If I'm a multi-millionaire in my 20s, I'm probably not buying the Dodge Caravan of Land Rovers.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Wow that really seemed to hit a nerve with you, huh?
Well I've lived all my life in the GTA and it sucks to see the city and surrounding areas get progressively worse especially in the last few years here. Sure we can always comfort ourselves and say that we're still much better than practically any US city when it comes to crime rates, but that doesn't change the fact that things are much worse than when I was growing up.

Also its not just the GTA that's getting worse, but other areas outside of the GTA as well. Places where there was barely any violent crime or shootings, now these kinds of crimes are on the rise in just the past few years. Its pretty shocking to see places that were previously so quiet and peaceful now get worse as well. So yeah it sucks to see my city and elsewhere get progressively worse with none of our leaders having the courage to do anything about it.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Glad Marner is okay, he will likely have to take the bus to get around Toronto until he gets his insurance claim settled.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't touch a Range Rover.
Being a fellow Canadian i can say a Range Rover up here is about as good as it gets. Not only are they a high end SUV but they are actually about performance for off roading or whatnot. I'm from a small city but we have alot if NHLer's every single one has or had a Range Rover. Long story short they are the best choice for Canadian winters and we get a ton of snow and the roads suck in the winter.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If I'm a multi-millionaire in my 20s, I'm probably not buying the Dodge Caravan of Land Rovers.
i know nothing about Marner's life outside of work--i assume he has no family to haul around, then? LOL yeah it's an odd choice. Practical i guess if otherwise you're driving a gt3 or something and have to contend with shitty roads or weather. Maybe it's his "i don't mind this one getting carjacked" car for crap neighborhoods?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
People get robbed and car jacked every day, why is this news?
Its news because its systematic of things getting significantly worse in Toronto/GTA. When you've grown up in a city where crime and violence has been relatively low for so long and then see a major increase in recent years, you'd have to be crazy to not be worried and ask why aren't our politicians and justice system doing more to fight it. They're literally sitting on their asses and letting it happen because they're all MASSIVE COWARDS that don't ever want to anger and offend some people rather than getting the balls and say screw it and do the right thing and protect the general public.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
My brother in christ, that is the comment you were replying to. If that is not what you were implying, then why did you reply to it if it doesn't affect you? Now you are all bent out of shape about it and that's my fault? Where in my comment did I ask for your life story or your opinion about crime that was beyond "segregation" and "intolerance" specifically? Point to the one sentence in what you replied to that asked anything beyond that. Any one thing at all.
I don't even know why you brought up segregation and intolerance anyways?

Also I didn't think I was giving 'my life story' when I simply said the Toronto I live in today isn't nearly as safe and nice as the Toronto I grew up in. THAT'S a life story? OK. :rolleyes:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Maybe if our politicians and justice system didn't tolerate so much crime and violence because they were too afraid to fight it for fear of backlash then we wouldn't be getting progressively worse compared to even 15-20 years ago.

It really is insane how our politicians would rather sacrifice the general public and force them to live with an ever increasing criminal and violent society because they're too afraid of offending some people and getting them angry. Nope can't have that.

The same thing is happening here in NY. Places that were once safe are now dangerous. It’s quite disturbing.

The only thing you can do at this point is leave, and hope the problem is at least contained to certain areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad