Confirmed with Link: Report: Couture to sign 8-year, $8m AAV contract extension (begins for 2019/20 season)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So I’m trying to fill time for obvious reasons and I decided to go back and look at the Sharks spending relative to cap percentage in the past. I picked 2012-13 randomly. In that season the Sharks had 6 million in cap space, with a cap ceiling of 70.2 million. They spent 47.39% of the cap on forwards, 32.12% on dmen and 6.25% on goalies. For this coming season the Sharks the sharks have 9.62% spent on goalies, 30.25% spent on dmen counting Heed and Simek, and 32.5% spent on the forwards we know will be in the NHL. That leaves the Sharks roughly 25% of the cap to spend on forwards. Even with the larger salaries coming out the Sharks aren’t really allocating money by position differently. It just seems different with the bigger numbers.

Reactions: SactoShark

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
So I’m trying to fill time for obvious reasons and I decided to go back and look at the Sharks spending relative to cap percentage in the past. I picked 2012-13 randomly. In that season the Sharks had 6 million in cap space, with a cap ceiling of 70.2 million. They spent 47.39% of the cap on forwards, 32.12% on dmen and 6.25% on goalies. For this coming season the Sharks the sharks have 9.62% spent on goalies, 30.25% spent on dmen counting Heed and Simek, and 32.5% spent on the forwards we know will be in the NHL. That leaves the Sharks roughly 25% of the cap to spend on forwards. Even with the larger salaries coming out the Sharks aren’t really allocating money by position differently. It just seems different with the bigger numbers.

That's how things should be evaluated - looking at AAVs relatively speaking. It's just so interesting how DW is now handing out max term like candy. Wonder what changed his tune/strategy.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Lol @ the negativity over this signing, if there is one current shark I think deserves to be "overpaid" over a long term contract, it's Couture.

Hell, if I was DW I'd give him the C while I was at it

Also, I would think this means that Pavs is the odd man out as far as long term extensions... However, I think DW and Pavs will end up agreeing to something like a 3 year, $24 million deal

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is a pretty fair contract. It'd be fair to say you just don't want Couture, but I'm not sure DW could have negotiated a lower rate. Hopefully, it isn't a full-NTC.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is a pretty fair contract. It'd be fair to say you just don't want Couture, but I'm not sure DW could have negotiated a lower rate. Hopefully, it isn't a full-NTC.

It'll be a three team trade list. You can pretty much guarantee that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Couture matching with Kane makes more sense but it's really just a $1m overpay. It's not a big deal especially now that we didn't get Tavares.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I am glad we extended Logan and contract is fine. 8x8 is completely fair for our future captain and our best forward. Glad that he is continuing with Sharks even though that wasn't even a question. Probably my favorite player when Jumbo retires.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we sign who we will likely sign, I'd try these lines next year...

Couture-Hertl-Pavelski
Kane-Thornton-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Donskoi

I don't want to put Labanc on our shutdown line and I don't want Labanc with Tierney and Meier either as that didn't work at all. But Labanc did well previously with Thornton and it may force Labanc to shoot more which would only help solidify his game. The Hertl line may be slow but I think it would work as a shutdown line and if it doesn't, swap Pavs with Donskoi to increase the speed of that line and I think you got something. I only didn't do that because Pavs with Tierney is probably not an option going into next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad