Confirmed with Link: Report: Couture to sign 8-year, $8m AAV contract extension (begins for 2019/20 season)

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Man, gotta pay to keep talent. For the crowd that wanted to rebuild - that's not happening, this is the team for a long time. Just try not to picture the sharks 6 years from now

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Man, gotta pay to keep talent. For the crowd that wanted to rebuild - that's not happening, this is the team for a long time. Just try not to picture the sharks 6 years from now

A great 6 years and a (possibly) crappy two years? I’m ok with it, just win the damn CUP (Ray Ratto voice)!

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
DW has already crunched the numbers on how sports betting will boost revenue. The cap will be 110M in 5 years and all these deals will look like discounts to the 15M everyone is getting. *A man can dream*

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
DO NOT GO TO THE MAIN BOARDS, REPEAT DO NOT GO TO THE MAIN BOARDS.

Sooooo many ignorant posters saying "8 mil for a guy who only gets 60 points, BlOw iT uP sAn jose."

Reactions: Friday

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Factor in the eventual cap rise and this deal isn't bad. Couture isn't a player that relies on breakneck speed, so as long as he keeps his body in good shape the contract should be fine.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I love couture but that's a high price for what he is. That Kane deal is going to haunt us. Kane should have came in at around 6-6.5, couture 7-7.5. These are 2 not so good contracts.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Factor in the eventual cap rise and this deal isn't bad. Couture isn't a player that relies on breakneck speed, so as long as he keeps his body in good shape the contract should be fine.
Even with eventual cap rise, not my favorite deal. I don't 100% think Couture's a higher caliber player than Kane. On the one hand, Couture's the best pure scorer on the team. On the other hand, I don't he can carry a line. There is the playoff scoring which is cool but I'm a little iffy on $8m.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I love couture but that's a high price for what he is. That Kane deal is going to haunt us. Kane should have came in at around 6-6.5, couture 7-7.5. These are 2 not so good contracts.
So what, in general we are overpaying by 1-2 million per year?

As long as they stay productive, I don't care.

Reactions: Phu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

If the cap continues its upward trajectory (no reason to think it won't at the moment), these hits become a lot less daunting in a couple of years.

Even if the cap held steady for the first year of the extension's life, the AAV is about 10% of the cap figure.

Comparatively, Cooch signed his current deal of $6m per in 2013 where it was 9.33% of the pending 13/14 cap. And as of the final coming year will be 7.5% of the cap. I recall people saying it was too rich at the time, and now it seems eminently reasonable.

Unless NHL revenues tank in the next 3-5 years, the actual impact on the team's financial structure should scale to be wholly manageable and only improve with time. And yes, it means the Sharks bought into his age 35-37 seasons when he's likely going to start deteriorating a little bit, but that's generally a cost of doing business with good players in their primes across the league. Hell, it'll be a cost of doing business with Tavares too if the team manages to go that direction. The hope will always be that either a) the player remains reasonably productive in that period so that the hit isn't that bad, or b) it times with the team's window/fortunes waning at that point and having some of your cap tied up in dead(er) weight money isn't a big deal since you're transitioning into a cheap young rebuilding model.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->