Player Discussion Replacing Jacob Markstrom

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
SJ is hard to do because Jones on a buyout counts $2.8 in dead cap due to a SB. They can move off Dell and save $1 mill. But they have other holes as well.

rittich his numbers are 2.78GAA and .912 SV% compared to Markstrom at 2.63 GAA and .919 SV%. Pretty close and he’s signed for $2.75 next season.
Yes San Jose will have no money. That team is a bloody mess. Old, slow, no decent prospects. I thought they might have one or two more kicks at the can but they look terrible. Doug Wilson after so many years of success has completely lost the plot.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Resign him to a reasonable deal, protect Demko in the expansion draft
If Markstrom doesn't get pick up by Seattle, trade one of him or Demko

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Now that he is an all-star his asking price will be bumped up slightly

rightly so too, he should get every penny he can, he's been outstanding for over 12 months now, this is his probably his only chance to get a long term, big money contract in the NHL, he should grasp the opportunity with both hands

Reactions: vanuck and nucks88

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I think it's far from a lock that Seattle will take Demko if he's left exposed for the expansion draft. There will be a ton of goalies available and there could easily be two that Seattle likes better then Demko.

Remember when everyone was shocked Las Vegas selected Sbisa in the last expansions draft? I could easily see Roussel or Beagle being claimed assuming they can still skate and their play hasn't dropped off a cliff.

As for Markstrom, if the Canucks believe in him they should sign him to an extension sooner rather than later. Looking for a comparable, I came up with Semyon Varlamov, who was signed in July to a 4 x $5 million deal at a similar age and with similar stats. That has to be the yardstick to measure Markstrom's next contract.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
They need him. This isn't a defensive scheme covering that can be replaced. The scheme is: Markstrom builds a wall around the net and hold on for dear life.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
They need him. This isn't a defensive scheme covering that can be replaced. The scheme is: Markstrom builds a wall around the net and hold on for dear life.

12yzot.jpg

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's probably gonna get in the mid to upper 5s. He isn't taking a hometown discount that's for sure this is his big opportunity to cash in and change his life forever.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Markstrom is getting $7-8m if he carries this on until the end of the season, he's gonna be the no1 goalie on the market

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
Would be a lot better if Markstrom got the full week of rest, ASG is an absolute joke.
He’s probably excited to go. It might be the only time he ever gets to play in an all star game. I’m sure most players are honoured to go and don’t consider it “an absolute joke”.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think people tend to overrate the goalie market. Lehner signed for 1 year 5 million last year after a Vezina finalist season. Gibson signed in 2018 long term for 6.4. Hellebucyk signed for 6.17 long term also in 2018. Fleury same summer for 7. Bishop signed a long term deal for under 5 million in 2017. Binnington just signed for 4.4. There's currently only 5 goalies making 7 million or more, with Vasy to join them next year and all are highly decorated if underperforming. There's no chance someone gives Markstrom 7. I'd say it's anywhere from 5-6.5 depending on the years the level of interest

Reactions: Buzz Gunderson

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Honestly wouldn’t resign Markstrom. I mean he’s great and all but this team is already cap strapped I’d rather roll with the cheaper younger goalie in Demko. We’d be able to sign him to a bridge once his ELC is up and by the time his bridge is done I’m sure most of the bad contracts will be off the books.

Reactions: hookshott

Buzz Gunderson

Jan 2, 2020
Honestly wouldn’t resign Markstrom. I mean he’s great and all but this team is already cap strapped I’d rather roll with the cheaper younger goalie in Demko. We’d be able to sign him to a bridge once his ELC is up and by the time his bridge is done I’m sure most of the bad contracts will be off the books.
It depends on the money. I don’t think you’d want to go over 6 million for Jacob. Regardless of present cap concerns, he hasn’t proven that much yet. No team is going to pay him 7 or 8, that’s laughable. There are more proven guys in Holtby and Lehner on the market as well.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's probably gonna get in the mid to upper 5s. He isn't taking a hometown discount that's for sure this is his big opportunity to cash in and change his life forever.
Upper 5’s? He got nearly $4 3+ years ago with 33 starts as a backup.

He’s a top 10 goalie and even better if you go deeper.

I can’t imagine he strokes a pen to a new deal before July that doesn’t start with a $6m. Maybe even $7 if this persists. He’s literally the teams MVP again this year.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It depends on the money. I don’t think you’d want to go over 6 million for Jacob. Regardless of present cap concerns, he hasn’t proven that much yet. No team is going to pay him 7 or 8, that’s laughable. There are more proven guys in Holtby and Lehner on the market as well.

Good points. I agree with almost everything you said DH, but I’m not sure if I’d label Lehner as being more proven than Markstrom. I might be wrong here, but I’m just not seeing it.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Upper 5’s? He got nearly $4 3+ years ago with 33 starts as a backup.

He’s a top 10 goalie and even better if you go deeper.

I can’t imagine he strokes a pen to a new deal before July that doesn’t start with a $6m. Maybe even $7 if this persists. He’s literally the teams MVP again this year.

He's only been that good this year though. It doesn't warrant 7m long term. He's been a middling average starter previously numbers wise. 7 makes him top 5 paid in the league. I could see him getting low 6 from another team but not the Canucks.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think people tend to overrate the goalie market. Lehner signed for 1 year 5 million last year after a Vezina finalist season. Gibson signed in 2018 long term for 6.4. Hellebucyk signed for 6.17 long term also in 2018. Fleury same summer for 7. Bishop signed a long term deal for under 5 million in 2017. Binnington just signed for 4.4. There's currently only 5 goalies making 7 million or more, with Vasy to join them next year and all are highly decorated if underperforming. There's no chance someone gives Markstrom 7. I'd say it's anywhere from 5-6.5 depending on the years the level of interest
Bobrovsky is making $11.5m this season and is on a $10m caphit for the next 7 years.

Binnington 32 starts.
Lehner head case tag.
Gibson and Hellebuyck sold RFA years.

Only Fluery and Bishop are UFA comparables. I don’t want Markstrom on a 7 year deal and very likely neither do the Canucks, so if you can’t run it out you can’t drive down the cap hit.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I would *possibly* be willing to go this route with Demko IF the Canucks brought in another 1A goalie that could play 50/50 with Demko. Like a Cam Talbot calibre guy for instance.

I don’t think Demko is quite ready to be a #1, and putting him in a #1 role right away would be setting him up to fail. I think Demko is definitely ready for 50/50 assignment though.

Players are also smart. They know that if they take too much money, it’s going to hurt their chances at winning a cup since it would put their team in a difficult cap spot. Maybe I’m wrong here, but I think the Canucks and Markstrom will be able to work something reasonable out. I think he ends up with 6 million.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's only been that good this year though. It doesn't warrant 7m long term. He's been a middling average starter previously numbers wise. 7 makes him top 5 paid in the league. I could see him getting low 6 from another team but not the Canucks.
He’s been a solid starter for a few years now. Definitely not middling. He’s got great numbers behind putrid teams.

Inflation exists.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Bobrovsky is making $11.5m this season and is on a $10m caphit for the next 7 years.

Binnington 32 starts.
Lehner head case tag.
Gibson and Hellebuyck sold RFA years.

Only Fluery and Bishop are UFA comparables. I don’t want Markstrom on a 7 year deal and very likely neither do the Canucks, so if you can’t run it out you can’t drive down the cap hit.

Unfortunately, the Canucks might have to extend the term here if they want to keep the cap hit low. I actually think that this will be the route that the Canucks go. They’ll get a decent AAV with Marky, but I think we’re looking at a 7 year deal. The good news however is that many goalies tend to age fairly well, relative to other positions.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Anything under 6 then you resign him. More than 6 million, and then you have to consider other options. I don't think Demko is completely ready to take over as the #1 just yet, and Markstrom is too good not to try to resign. He's been our MVP for a few years now. Benning has got to find a way to keep both, while avoiding losing one to Seattle in the expansion draft, and somehow being below cap.

Trade Sutter, Schaller, Eriksson, Baertschi, Stecher for anything you can get if possible, to try and create cap space to sign our star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad