Player Discussion Replacing Jacob Markstrom

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I really hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see BEnning giving up on Demko after drafting and developing him for all these years. And there is no way we protect both goalies during the expansion draft. Hope I’m wrong as Markstrom is one of my favourite players on the team and is the main reason we aren’t a bottom-5 team yet again.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
While the expansion draft is certainly a problem that needs to be considered, no one seems to be talking about whether Benning would look at making a deal with Seattle not to take Demko should Markstrom re-sign, which, rightly or wrongly, seems like the more likely scenario imo compared to trading Demko or letting him get selected.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
While the expansion draft is certainly a problem that needs to be considered, no one seems to be talking about whether Benning would look at making a deal with Seattle not to take Demko should Markstrom re-sign, which, rightly or wrongly, seems like the more likely scenario imo compared to trading Demko or letting him get selected.
Dipietro and a 1st is my bet if Markstrom keeps it up.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
We really should consider trading markstrom away while his value is high. By the time we are competitive he’ll be a bit too old for my liking, not to mention the cap space he’s going to take up.
Demko is never going to be as good as markstrom but he’ll be good enough for a average starter and for quite a long time since he’s so young.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think we can re-sign Markstrom without giving him expansion draft protection. I think you make the decision whether or not to re-sign Markstrom separate from the expansion draft. You don't give him an NMC. The expansion draft brings a lot of uncertainty to almost everyone and that's just fact of life. Location wise, moving from Vancouver to Seattle isn't far. Ron Francis did prefer going with cheaper younger goalies when he was managing the Canes so it's not a given that Markstrom would be pick when he turns 32 half way into their inaugural season.

There's really no need to make a decision now. There's at least one more season to make the decision as to who to protect. I like Demko, but it doesn't look like he'll establish himself as almost Markstrom's equal this season. What about the next? If he doesn't look like a future above average #1 goalie (who can stay healthy) and Dipietro continues to develop then the Canucks' future #1 goalie may not be Demko. If Demko plays the way Corey Schneider did in his last 1 1/2 years here then you are probably looking to protect Demko.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We really should consider trading markstrom away while his value is high. By the time we are competitive he’ll be a bit too old for my liking, not to mention the cap space he’s going to take up.
Demko is never going to be as good as markstrom but he’ll be good enough for a average starter and for quite a long time since he’s so young.

What's an impending UFA goalie that has zero playoff experience worth? Not much most likely. How many playoff teams are going to be seeking a #1 goalie at the deadline and are worth moving something of value for one?

If the Canucks can re-sign Markstrom to a reasonable deal, they absolutely should do so and then re-address the goaltending situation next season(unless there's a good offer for Demko). Worst case scenario they lose the lesser of Markstrom/Demko for nothing at the expansion draft(but don't lose a positional player).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So let’s put some guesses together. What his next deal look like?

6x6?

I think 6m x 5 years is the bare minimum.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So let’s put some guesses together. What his next deal look like?

6x6?

I think 6m x 5 years is the bare minimum.

Markstrom deserves to be getting between 6-7 million, but I suspect (hope?) that he takes a small discount in the name of trying to be a part of something special. I think Markstrom gets 6x6, but maybe he takes something a little less?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Which NHL team do you expect to come after Markstrom in the off-season? What is that team's goalie commitment for the 20-21 season? Do they have the cap space to absorb a buyout and still add Markstrom at $5-6 million?

Edm/SJ have commitments to Koskinen and Jones. Doubt they can trade either guy.

Go through cap friendly and take a look. Holtby, Lehner, Crawford, Greiss, Howard are going to be among the other UFA goalies available.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Which NHL team do you expect to come after Markstrom in the off-season? What is that team's goalie commitment for the 20-21 season? Do they have the cap space to absorb a buyout and still add Markstrom at $5-6 million?

Go through cap friendly and take a look. Holtby, Lehner, Crawford, Greiss, Howard are going to be among the other UFA goalies available.

I could see the Sabres being interested.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Well currently it doesn’t matter who else is coming in for him because he’s negotiating with the Canucks exclusively.
Chicago, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Buffalo, Detroit have openings.

Other teams could come in for him too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well currently it doesn’t matter who else is coming in for him because he’s negotiating with the Canucks exclusively.
Chicago, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Buffalo, Detroit have openings.

Other teams could come in for him too.
From the Canucks POV you base your offers on the market. Is your offer going to be close to what another team would come after him with.

when you look into numbers by other teams goalies they are pretty comparable to Markstrom.

Chicago, Lehner is at 22 games with 2.82 GAA and .925 SV%
Columbus, Korpisalo is at 31 games with 2.52 GAA and .913 SV%
Buffalo, Ullmark is at 23 games 2.79 GAA and .914 SV%
Calgary, Rittich is at 30 games with 2.65 GAA and .916 SV%. Rittich under contract for next season.
NJ, Blackwood is at 28 games with 2.89 GAA and .907 SV%. Blackwood is eligible for the ED.

numbers are not too far off Markstrom who is at 27 games 2.63 GAA and .919 SV%. This is his 3rd year as the starter. Most other guys are only year 2 as the starter.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
From the Canucks POV you base your offers on the market. Is your offer going to be close to what another team would come after him with.

when you look into numbers by other teams goalies they are pretty comparable to Markstrom.

Chicago, Lehner is at 22 games with 2.82 GAA and .925 SV%
Columbus, Korpisalo is at 31 games with 2.52 GAA and .913 SV%
Buffalo, Ullmark is at 23 games 2.79 GAA and .914 SV%
Calgary, Rittich is at 30 games with 2.65 GAA and .916 SV%. Rittich under contract for next season.
NJ, Blackwood is at 28 games with 2.89 GAA and .907 SV%. Blackwood is eligible for the ED.

numbers are not too far off Markstrom who is at 27 games 2.63 GAA and .919 SV%. This is his 3rd year as the starter. Most other guys are only year 2 as the starter.
Yes. I know all this.

the assumption is another team would view Markstrom as a better goaltender that these options.

You also have to consider how Vancouver views him. He’s viewed as one of the leaders on the team. Basically the back bone. I’d imagine they view him as a top tier NHL goalie at this stage and they value this considerably. See Ryan Miller acquisition and everything they said about mentor ship etc. I assume they see him as Miller in 2014 quality at the least.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes. I know all this.

the assumption is another team would view Markstrom as a better goaltender that these options.

You also have to consider how Vancouver views him. He’s viewed as one of the leaders on the team. Basically the back bone. I’d imagine they view him as a top tier NHL goalie at this stage and they value this considerably. See Ryan Miller acquisition and everything they said about mentor ship etc. I assume they see him as Miller in 2014 quality at the least.
As well, you are sometimes better going with what you know if it’s not too far off from what you don’t know. Age, upsides, contracts, etc all factor in.

To Mevin, SJ Jones is one the books for 4 more years. His buyout would cost them $2.8 against the cap on top of what Markstrom would cost them. They are already top heavy with their skaters. Moving off Jones for them would appear only from a promotion from a young inexpensive guy. Can’t see another team wanting the term left on Jones. Habs bought out Mason with 1 year left after getting him from the Jets. 4 years is too long.

I would peg Detroit as a legit contender for his services. But, does Markstrom want to be on a bad team? Detroit seems like they will be at the bottom for another 2 years. Offer IMO would have to be amazing to go to Detroit if you have options elsewhere.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I see the Hurricanes as a pretty ideal spot for Markstrom, whether it's through trade or FA. They have two goalies that have been good enough but a bit inconsistent. Drop Markstrom in there for a playoff drive and I think they take off.

They have tons of extra picks including 2 1st round picks 2 2nd round picks 2 3rd round picks, and a good crop of prospects.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see the Hurricanes as a pretty ideal spot for Markstrom, whether it's through trade or FA. They have two goalies that have been good enough but a bit inconsistent. Drop Markstrom in there for a playoff drive and I think they take off.

They have tons of extra picks including 2 1st round picks 2 2nd round picks 2 3rd round picks, and a good crop of prospects.
Carolina has over $20 mill in cap space for next season. Key rfa are only Foegle and Wallmark.
Both goalies are signed next season. They could eat one of those deals if needed as they have the space to do it.

but it’s whether they want to roll with someone without playoff experience.

seems more like a holtby destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would imagine Markstrom is the sure fire 2nd best goalie on the market after Holtby. I imagine the team/s that miss on Holbty (I think Calgary will sign him) will be hot after Markstrom.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I would imagine Markstrom is the sure fire 2nd best goalie on the market after Holtby. I imagine the team/s that miss on Holbty (I think Calgary will sign him) will be hot after Markstrom.
If the Laffs didn't have Anderson signed for next season also; I'd think they would be interested in Markstrom. Should come in at a lower cap hit than Anderson (and any free'd up cap space for them would be invaluable).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Posted this in around the league thread but there's $20MM and like 13 years combined of term in starting goalies in the FLA/MTL game and it's a 6-5 game lol.

Have to be extremely careful handing out not only $$$ but term.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I don't think Markstrom will get 6 m x 6 yrs. I see Markstrom getting 5 M to 5.5 M for 3 to 4 years.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Congrats to likely All Star Game injury replacement goalie Jacob Markstrom!!

[31 Thoughts] If VAN beats CHI, and VGK doesn’t win both of their next two games, Travis Green will represent the Pacific at the ASG... Jacob Markstrom seems like the probable ASG replacement for Darcy Kuemper.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think Markstrom will get 6 m x 6 yrs. I see Markstrom getting 5 M to 5.5 M for 3 to 4 years.
Honestly, looking at the market, I can see 2 or 3 teams who would legitimately come after Markstrom. I think teams like Calgary, Columbus, Chicago are going to roll with their guys in Rittich, Korpisalo, Lehner. Their numbers are not really far off from what Markstrom is doing.

I can see Buffalo, with Ullmark as a RFA (but numbers are not that much off from Markstrom) and 1 year left of Hutton who has a $2.8 cap hit, so a buyout should only cost them $1 million in dead cap. That's a legit option as they have cap space to make the move.

Detroit, they have cap space. Howard is UFA while Bernier has another year left. But, negative for them is that they seem like they will be a bottom feeder for another 2 years until a couple of top end talent emerges for them. Marky may not want to go through that again unless the term and money is too good to pass up.

Carolina, both of their goalies are signed for next season. But, they will cap space. So, if they need to eat a contract, they can. If they pay the SB to Reimer, then his $3.4 mill cap hit is just $850K in salary. Have the assets to attach a pick to move it out.

I would leave NJ out because Blackwood is a year younger than Demko and he's getting the bulk of the work for them. Numbers are ok given how bad NJ is this season. Term on Markstrom would be too long to hold onto Blackwood who is eligible for the ED.

Holtby will also hit the market. I think that would be Carolina's target as he has the playoff experience over Markstrom. Greiss is UFA, but like Lehner, question will be is he the product of the Trotz system or can he put up good numbers away from Trotz. Halak will be out there as well. Very good numbers in Boston, but again, he's more a 1b goalie.

Another team can come in and give him an offer. But, any team with a goalie under contract, it's extremely difficult to move them. SJ, Jones has too much term to dump.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I wouldnt be suprised if both Edmonton and SJ try to move on from their current goalies. Add Calgary to that list. Carolina in the east.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SJ is hard to do because Jones on a buyout counts $2.8 in dead cap due to a SB. They can move off Dell and save $1 mill. But they have other holes as well.

rittich his numbers are 2.78GAA and .912 SV% compared to Markstrom at 2.63 GAA and .919 SV%. Pretty close and he’s signed for $2.75 next season.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Really simple only so much money and a few very good ufa goalies so chances are not many big surprises offer markstrom a fair deal he stays .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad