Replace the coaching staff with what?

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
They don't need a scorched earth approach, there's enough here and in the pipeline for a quick turnaround.

2023-24:
Lindblom/Desnoyers - Couts - TK
Farabee - Frost - Brink
Lycksell/Laughton - Hayes - Allison
N Cates/Sushko - JOB/Laczynski - Wisdom/Foerster

this is after you shed G, JVR, Atkinson and all the scrubs

Provorov - Ellis
Sanheim - Zamula
York - St Ivany/Attard
Hogberg, Andrae

Hart/Ersson/Fedotov

Lindblom? Odds are like 10%, aren‘t they?
Ellis? Yes, if you mean for 30-40 games

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They don't need a scorched earth approach, there's enough here and in the pipeline for a quick turnaround.

2023-24:
Farabee - Frost - Brink

Provorov - Ellis
Sanheim - Zamula
York - St Ivany/Attard
Hogberg, Andrae

Hart/Ersson/Fedotov
Interesting roster. I take it that you don't see Ristolainen being around. He isn't showing me enough right now to get him off of the trading block. Certainly at the salary and term that he is going to demand. Would rather extend Sanheim. How much of what the Flyers spent to get Risto can they recoup in moving him?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Interesting roster. I take it that you don't see Ristolainen being around. He isn't showing me enough right now to get him off of the trading block. Certainly at the salary and term that he is going to demand. Would rather extend Sanheim. How much of what the Flyers spent to get Risto can they recoup in moving him?

At least a 2nd and 3rd, probably more, not that many top 4 D-men are available at the TDL.
His play in Philly will raise his value, especially to a PO team that can look at him in a 2nd pair role and see the fit.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
At least a 2nd and 3rd, probably more, not that many top 4 D-men are available at the TDL.
His play in Philly will raise his value, especially to a PO team that can look at him in a 2nd pair role and see the fit.
I'm more than willing to let Ristolainen go in return for fair value. March 21 is not that far away. More interested in keeping Sanheim around long term. Contracts being what they are and will be, the three cornerstones of the Flyers defense are Ellis, Provorov and Sanheim followed by York and Zamula.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Ristolainen is a bottom-pair quality dman and he will be sold as such to people buying from Chuck (who is a terrible negotiator), so you can probably tune that return down.

Plus, selling him is an admission of failure on the year. Overall this dumbass Risto saga alone should be enough to contemplate firing him over. Combined with him missing on basically every single move he's made, it should be an easy decision. It's a shame the team isn't run on merit or he'd be gone. Clarke knows him, so therefore they've gotta treasure and fondle him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You realize you're basing the assessment of the young players on them playing in AVs system? Seems silly to say with any confidence that replacing the coach isn't the answer because all the evidence is pointing straight to it being the answer.
I mean not really. The only "young" players that need evaluation with regards to being building blocks are Frost, York, and Foerster and no matter who the coach is it is pretty clear none of these guys are superstars. Good players, sure that's possible. Players that could help if we had better players elsewhere, yeah I'm sure. AV is not helping, but putting in someone who would help isn't going to make Frost or Foerster top line guys or York a #1 defender. If we are rebuilding we need to have the talent to rebuild. Guys like Frost etc. are what you add to the core, not the guys that make up the core. Farabee, Couturier, and maybe Konecny (assuming Giroux is gone this year) would be who I consider the "core" guys for this team. Plus Hart. Those guys that are or have shown they can be top line higher echelon guys.

Obviously York, Frost, and Foerster haven't had the opportunity to show that and I am certainly not saying these guys suck, but if either was going to be that "core" piece we'd at least have a good idea about it and it isn't because the organization hates him, it is because he isn't good enough. And don't take this to mean that I think if we trade them they won't improve or they wouldn't improve if they stayed here. What I am saying is these guys are not pieces to build a franchise around, these are guys you use to build around franchise guys. Our franchise guys (which again I would say are Farabee, Couturier, and Konecny) aren't good enough to really build around at this point as much as it kills me to say that. So we blow it up, find those guys, and start over. Frost, York, Foerster, etc. are good prospects but they are not likely going to turn into superstars and I wouldn't even bet on top liners (though York could possibly be a top pair guy, but I don't see him being THE guy, more like a compliment to a #1 guy). I am not suggesting we just get rid of these players for the sake of getting rid of them, but I am also not putting my faith in them to turn the team around at any point regardless of who the coach is. If we can include them in a trade to get someone that will be a long-term and immediate improvement, do it. If not keep them. But the rest of the roster should be aggressively shopped IMO.

This sucks. I am not happy about it, but you are nuts if you think a new coach all the sudden turns our middling prospects and mediocre young players into a team of contenders. I'm probably being too hard on the prospects but damn looking at these guys doesn't get me excited in any way for the immediate or long-term future, with or without Fletch/AV. Anyone that has seen post on here for the last decade knows I don't jump off the cliff and talk about blowing it up (I'm usually the guy defending GMs, coaches, etc.) but the organization is looking a lot like the Phillies, except they have some pieces they can use to at least turn into lottery tickets.

Depending on the deadline, maybe there is a player that is a little more established on a borderline team that Giroux can be flipped for along with picks? IDK what the market is but Dallas has some interesting guys in the system/on the roster. Maybe send Giroux there for picks, and some of their prospects (and maybe a guy like Faksa if he's available). Who knows but for me, I am planning on a firesale and years of misery forthcoming.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

2023-24:
Farabee - Frost - Brink

Provorov - Ellis
Sanheim - Zamula
York - St Ivany/Attard
Hogberg, Andrae

Hart/Ersson/Fedotov
And that is a MUCH shittier lineup that we have iced the last 2 years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The lineup also ignores that Flutch will have 3 or 4 trash heap veterans scattered through the lineup in place of youth at a bare minimum. Writing up a roster that isn't riddled with guys too old to play isn't a thing that should be done. A more realistic lineup for two years down the road is

Lindblom - Couts - TK
Farabee - Hayes - Veteran
Laughton - Frost (if he isn't traded, otherwise Veteran) - Veteran
Veteran - Veteran - Veteran

Provorov - Ellis
Veteran - Veteran
Veteran - Veteran

All of the veterans will be deficient of course. We will have superior talent internally, ignored and squandered. And all brought in overpriced or at a loss.

raydavies29

Nov 23, 2018
How about this guy?
2469.jpg

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The problem is that it won't do dick to change the coach if you don't change the GM. That's why there is very little enthusiasm for naming names, even though I spent the morning naming names. And if they get the GM hire wrong again, literally nothing will matter at all in the whole sport for at least three more years. And if the xenobots keep having babies, nothing on this entire garbage planet will matter.

Keep in mind, Rutherford hired Johnston - who oversaw a season and a half of listless hockey - before going with Sullivan. The thing with Fletcher, though, is that his list of hires is hardly inspiring. Richards, Yeo, Torchetti, and now Vingeault.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Keep in mind, Rutherford hired Johnston - who oversaw a season and a half of listless hockey - before going with Sullivan. The thing with Fletcher, though, is that his list of hires is hardly inspiring. Richards, Yeo, Torchetti, and now Vingeault.

Oh, I know, bud :laugh: You are preaching to a one-man Mormon Tabernacle Choir. One man, seven wives.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
More like Richards, Yeo, & Boudreau, with Torchetti as a 27-game interim between Yeo & Boudreau.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Its sad reading this thread. The team is a disaster. A coaching change makes of the sense in the world...but after 3 pages it seems like there really just arent any good replacements out.

Id still favor firing AV...but its just going to be another boys club guy brought in. Analytica twitter will be pissed and point out every flaw of their past and call for them to be fired from day 1. The team will find early success but then will fade by year 3 and we will have just come full circle.

But really...especially those of you who have hated AV since year 1...who are the best options to replace AV and chuck?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Its sad reading this thread. The team is a disaster. A coaching change makes of the sense in the world...but after 3 pages it seems like there really just arent any good replacements out.

Id still favor firing AV...but its just going to be another boys club guy brought in. Analytica twitter will be pissed and point out every flaw of their past and call for them to be fired from day 1. The team will find early success but then will fade by year 3 and we will have just come full circle.

But really...especially those of you who have hated AV since year 1...who are the best options to replace AV and chuck?

Eric Tulsky, Carolina Assistant GM

Sam Hallam, Vaxjo Lakers Head Coach

Burn everything to the ground and get what value you can for the next two drafts.

Easy as f***. You just have to be willing to pull the trigger.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Macfarland GM
Gronborg HC

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia