News Article: Renney reveals a little on firing

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I am understanding of the way we've handled Yakupov.

I even support the scorched earth rebuild and all the struggles we've had as a result. I think this team will be something special. The only issue is when.

However, i do find those comments by Renney disturbing. I dont see a reason why he would lie and it fits in with the events around that time. If this was Lowe's doing he should be canned

As much as people would love to attack lowe for this...lowe was busy with setting up our greater arms reach like the ahl, echl, junior kings and scouting and etc etc etc. People think he pulls the strings but the Oilers organization is immense in scope. The Oilers, when Tambo became GM focussed on being a hockey entertainment production company basically...Lowes job was mostly putting all of it together. LAFORGE etc were guys handling sponsors and name brand awareness and revenue streams.

I know everyones trusty dead horse to kick is lowe...but i find it impossible to believe all these problems some how came up after a decade of Lowe managing...only when Tambo shows his face in the organization. I odont see Lowe flying all over the country constantly and texting souray or yell at renney. I believe MacT felt any purge should start with Tambo himself.

Take a look at how MacT used Gagner in his first two years...i wouldnt say the ice time was generous by any means. I recall MacT sheltering Gagner quite alot. Can they get big ice time? Yes if they were rolling and normally not an all kids line (horc, hemsky, moreau, etc etc).

And i recall many people complaining about Gagners lack of ice time. The thing about MacT was that if you were playing well he played you and he juggled lines to make sure people got the ice time he felt they could handle on that night.
To me Eakins doesnt adapt game to game or in-game.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So he leaned on the veterans more.

Figures.

The veterans have sucked since the cup run. He was turfed because the team was awful. Values or no values, Shawn Horcoff isn't a first line centre in this league. Hall, RNH and Eberle could've run that veteran core out of the rink at 16.

Let's start focusing on the on-ice product and not more of this BS.

Have you seen the on-ice product this year and last year? And prior years?:laugh:

I think a diversion now and then is necessary for mental health when following this team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tambellini was the man at the wheel. MacT was brought into hockey operations a month after Renney was relieved from duty.

Interesting read on MacTavish... Wikipedia has him with a vehicular homicide while driving under the influence 1984-85
This has been common knowledge in Edmonton since they first brought him here as a player.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes he was. Oilers hired MacT back just before picking yakupov at the draft. He was used as an advisor to analyze the issues internally and spent the lockout and shortened season to pick apart the organization.

Remember also that MacT and Lowe DID NOT PART in a friendly manner the first time.
People think it was a friendly parting. It was not. It took a few years to be water under the bridge.

Tambi was GM that last year of MacTs coaching tenure. The last meeting for the two before MacTs dismissal...was not quiet.
Do you have any links to back this up? This is the first time I've ever heard of any rift between these two. I'm not saying you're wrong because there does seem to be some revisionist history about these events coming from either the organization or the media or both from what I remember happening at the time.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
This organization has a history of BS. Examples in no particular order:
1) Gretzky Trade and the story behind it
2) Jason Bonsignoire
3) Chris Pronger exodus
4) Lowe vs Burke..Six Rings !
5) Vanek offer sheet
6) Nylander trade
7) Heatley trade
8) Comrie Fiasco
9) Souray Fiasco
10) Krueger skype firing
11) Tom Renney ....
12) Yakupov and agent
Whether the management is at fault for all of these or some is a matter of opinion but that's a lot of bad publicity over the years.

And this, children, is why we can't have nice things.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Anyone notice how, before the season, MacT said the line-up was up to Eakins, yet last week Eakins said something about call-ups being management's decision.

Tom Renney is one of the classiest people in hockey, and an intellectual. It speaks volumes, to me at least, that he has said anything. He obviously feels very slighted; it boggles my mind that we would have hired a development coach and then overruled him.

I know I defended them tirelessly, so I'm biased, but he and Krueger seemed to get fired over philosophy. Neither were given much of a chance, if the mandate was to rebuild and develop, because they got fired (seemingly) over the wins and losses.

Renney's comments, along with Krueger getting offered the Pens job, really speaks to the ineptitude of our management. Despite their lack of success, they just look for people that think like they do. The new management is just the old management.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Things like Renney benching Hall for banging his stick on the glass, was exactly what he needed. He's just getting it now.

Tamby and Lowe always said they were following the "Detroit model," yet we did exactly the opposite with prospects. I don't think anyone really has a plan, it's why some trades are great and some trades are awful -- we lack consistent asset management because there's no overarching structure in place (ideology)

Lowe likes tough guys, Mact likes skill, Tamby liked character, Howson likes grinders; Together it's nothing.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
whatever, his last year here Horcoff got the most minutes as a forward next to Ryan Smyth. i call bull-****.

"oh no, i was forced to play point per game players because the ancient or inept turd vets we had shouldnt have been in position to carry the team anyway."

as much as the management is terrible, the situation really didnt call for much else to do.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Anyone notice how, before the season, MacT said the line-up was up to Eakins, yet last week Eakins said something about call-ups being management's decision.

That is generally how it works. There's no smoke there. GM provides the roster of players and the Coach decides what to do with it. It works the same way throughout professional sports in North America.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Regardless, this wouldn't be a conversation if this team wasn't in the gutter. I'm pretty sure it isn't the first time an NHL coach has been at odds with management.

In sports, winning cures all. When you're not winning, a lot of fingers are pointed at a lot of people. Coaches are at odds with management even when things are going great. Not all coaches are fired with losing records, after all.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This just makes me despise this organization even more.

The Nuge said:
And? Everyone wanted him fired because he wouldn't play the kids. This shouldn't be news to anyone

Perhaps that was because there was a power struggle? Maybe Renney was trying to prove a point by sitting the kids. It all sounds very amateurish.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
so ...HFOil are ranting on management about this, ..the kids getting forced to play, and hurling insults, and then I see quite a few of the same offenders in the Yak thread.."Play him MORE!!!":laugh:

Gambl0r83*

This organization has a history of BS. Examples in no particular order:
1) Gretzky Trade and the story behind it
2) Jason Bonsignoire
3) Chris Pronger exodus
4) Lowe vs Burke..Six Rings !
5) Vanek offer sheet
6) Nylander trade
7) Heatley trade
8) Comrie Fiasco
9) Souray Fiasco
10) Krueger skype firing
11) Tom Renney ....
12) Yakupov and agent
Whether the management is at fault for all of these or some is a matter of opinion but that's a lot of bad publicity over the years.

13) Dallas Eakins

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Hmmm the same folks screaming at Eakins to play Yakupov more?

I bet half of you ripping on management for this were the same people who complained about Horcoff getting too much ice time when Renney was coach.

Regardless, this wouldn't be a conversation if this team wasn't in the gutter. I'm pretty sure it isn't the first time an NHL coach has been at odds with management.

Useless information, but information nonetheless I guess.

so ...HFOil are ranting on management about this, ..the kids getting forced to play, and hurling insults, and then I see quite a few of the same offenders in the Yak thread.."Play him MORE!!!":laugh:

You're missing the point entirely.

It doesn't matter if HFOil agree or disagree with certain coaching tactics, the fact of the matter is Management hires a guy, and then won't let him do his job. They stick their noses in and force the coach to do what they want, and when it all turns to ****, they fire the coach and high five each other while looking for another scapegoat.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
As much as people would love to attack lowe for this...lowe was busy with setting up our greater arms reach like the ahl, echl, junior kings and scouting and etc etc etc. People think he pulls the strings but the Oilers organization is immense in scope. The Oilers, when Tambo became GM focussed on being a hockey entertainment production company basically...Lowes job was mostly putting all of it together. LAFORGE etc were guys handling sponsors and name brand awareness and revenue streams.

BS. Even to this day Lowe and MacT straight out admit that there management team is a group and they are all involved. Lowe has always been heavily involved in hockey operations. He got us into this mess prior to Tambo, was fully apart of what took place while he was here and has been part of the team that has failed to make any progress since getting rid of him.

Lowe has been in charge of hockey operations for well over a decade here and the excuse that money was tight back in the day is running pretty thin. Teams in worse financial situations have done much better, Arizona, Nashville, Tampa. We've been able to spend to the cap for 6 years and have shown no signs of improvement. How much incompetence does it take to get somebody fired in this organization?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Opinions aside, one thing seems clear. No one ever leaves the Oilers on good terms.

Do fired coaches ever leave any team on "good terms"? I think the more appropriate thing would be to ask if people leaving the organization respect it. That is more telling and the answer seems to be that they don not respect it. Maybe it's semantics but I think there is a bit of a distinction there.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't the Oilers string Renney along so he couldn't find another job earlier and made him write an essay about what he would do if he coached the oilers again the next year? I think his essay was an automatic fail because it didn't include that he would do anything Lowe said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad