News Article: Renney reveals a little on firing

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
No Eakins was coach. But if they pushed Renney to play the kids more when he thought they weren't physically able to handle it I don't think its a stretch to say they did the same with Eakins. Might also explain why RNH didn't have surgery sooner even though management knew his injury and he played through it for a long time. There was also Hall obviously playing hurt before he had shoulder surgery as well.

So where does management's responsibility for this happening end and where does Eakins' responsibility start? Are you saying Eakins gets a free pass because management is the one pulling the strings?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So where does management's responsibility for this happening end and where does Eakins' responsibility start? Are you saying Eakins gets a free pass because management is the one pulling the strings?

I don't know but it makes you question how much they let the coaches coach.

Wish I could find the quote by Quinn talking about a certain young center that he tried to force to earn ice time but was over ruled by management.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Someone should buy a large festivus pole and gather up all the recent coaches, players and other staff who are no longer with the Oilers to have just one large "Airing of Grievances".

We could have it at a stadium and sell tickets. It'd be more popular than the recent '84 reunion.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I don't know but it makes you question how much they let the coaches coach.

Wish I could find the quote by Quinn talking about a certain young center that he tried to force to earn ice time but was over ruled by management.

So Eakins must be complicit to some degree, right?

I mean, how else has he survived last year's disaster, while Quinn, Renney, and Krueger got 2 years or less with better records?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Wasn't that Sheldon Souray's issue here? They pressured him to play injured.

This has been the MO of the organization for a long time..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So then this means that Eakins is being told how to coach the team. The Hunt over a Marincin decision makes a lot more sense now. Management will continue to "sell hope" by acquiring top draft picks and Eakins will be used as the scapegoat.

I think this is exactly what we can take from this article regarding today. Not just the Hunt decision but maybe why the team didn't bring in a stop gap center. The higher ups in the organization, whomever they may be (management or Katz himself) wanted Draissatl in the lineup. What it does show here is that there isn't any team building going on and we can expect to see this type of stuff for years to come.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sounds like Lowe.

Souray complained about much the same thing, even though he named Tambo as the offender(Tambo wasn't with the Oilers during Souray's first year with Edmonton)

Little annoying thing though; Renny wasn't fired, his contract was set to expire. The reason the Oilers got slammed for dragging the decision out is because it was already apparent that the Oilers weren't going to resign him, despite the disingenuous comments by the organization to the contrary.
I think Renney himself already knew long before tha season ended that he wasn't going to be renewed. His demeanor changed in the last six weeks or so of that season and I remember commenting at the time that it looks like he's already figured out that he's the next sacrificial lamb. I never understood why the Oilers figured they needed to drag that announcement out as long as they did. It was classless.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Someone should buy a large festivus pole and gather up all the recent coaches, players and other staff who are no longer with the Oilers to have just one large "Airing of Grievances".

We could have it at a stadium and sell tickets. It'd be more popular than the recent '84 reunion.
This might be on the radar for later after every dollar gets sucked out of the things they're doing now.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I bet half of you ripping on management for this were the same people who complained about Horcoff getting too much ice time when Renney was coach.

Regardless, this wouldn't be a conversation if this team wasn't in the gutter. I'm pretty sure it isn't the first time an NHL coach has been at odds with management.

Useless information, but information nonetheless I guess.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Opinions aside, one thing seems clear. No one ever leaves the Oilers on good terms.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
If you read the french article you can see that his quotes have nothing to do with ripping the oilers a new one. So that angle is baloney. He's talking about fighting in junior and his values.

Barry Melrose was fired for not playing Stamkos enough. In retrospect I think everyone would agree that that was the right decision.

Souray has also recanted on the "they forced me to play injured shtick".

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
Renney then went on to be an assistant coach under Babcock in Detroit and raved about how great of an environment it was there.

There is absolutely ZERO chance that Babcock will sign on to coach here as long as Lowe and MacT are in charge.

Tambellini was the man at the wheel. MacT was brought into hockey operations a month after Renney was relieved from duty.

Interesting read on MacTavish... Wikipedia has him with a vehicular homicide while driving under the influence 1984-85

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
All I conclude from this article is that Renney is not trustworthy. If you hire him and he doesn't like something your organization does, instead of airing the grievance or quitting out of principal - he does the oilers bidding and then takes a dump on them when they are down.

Very classless regardless what we know about Klowe IMO.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
You expect me to waste my time finding articles that you're going to make BS replies to?

Did find an interesting little tidbit that Brad Hunt, who is well known to be MacTs little pet project for the oilers was a teammate of Reads at BSU.

he was coaching the Chicago wolves until the end of the 2011-12 season.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Tambellini was the man at the wheel. MacT was brought into hockey operations a month after Renney was relieved from duty.

Interesting read on MacTavish... Wikipedia has him with a vehicular homicide while driving under the influence 1984-85

You didn't know that?
That's the only reason that he ever ended up playing for the oilers. He was a bruin before that.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
This organization has a history of BS. Examples in no particular order:
1) Gretzky Trade and the story behind it
2) Jason Bonsignoire
3) Chris Pronger exodus
4) Lowe vs Burke..Six Rings !
5) Vanek offer sheet
6) Nylander trade
7) Heatley trade
8) Comrie Fiasco
9) Souray Fiasco
10) Krueger skype firing
11) Tom Renney ....
12) Yakupov and agent
Whether the management is at fault for all of these or some is a matter of opinion but that's a lot of bad publicity over the years.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This organization has a history of BS. Examples in no particular order:
1) Gretzky Trade and the story behind it
2) Jason Bonsignoire
3) Chris Pronger exodus
4) Lowe vs Burke..Six Rings !
5) Vanek offer sheet
6) Nylander trade
7) Heatley trade
8) Comrie Fiasco
9) Souray Fiasco
10) Krueger skype firing
11) Tom Renney ....
12) Yakupov and agent
Whether the management is at fault for all of these or some is a matter of opinion but that's a lot of bad publicity over the years.

It appears as though they need to purge any and all aspects of the 84 team unfortunately. While many of those people were terrific players, very few have accomplished anything on the management side. That is actually not that surprising when you think of it - their formal education was on the ice and they never really had to apprentice for their management roles. They just dove right in with very little seat time. They need to completely cut ties with the past to move forward.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So Lowe wanted to throw 25 minutes a night at them long before they were ready for it? SURPRISE!!!!!! :sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am understanding of the way we've handled Yakupov.

I even support the scorched earth rebuild and all the struggles we've had as a result. I think this team will be something special. The only issue is when.

However, i do find those comments by Renney disturbing. I dont see a reason why he would lie and it fits in with the events around that time. If this was Lowe's doing he should be canned

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Weird how Renney was the last coach who actually paid attention to matchups and tried to shelter players..

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Renney then went on to be an assistant coach under Babcock in Detroit and raved about how great of an environment it was there.

There is absolutely ZERO chance that Babcock will sign on to coach here as long as Lowe and MacT are in charge.

If you look at the way Eakins is allowed to handle yakupov...i doubt MacT is an issue.

Plus he wasnt even in the organization at that time.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Wasn't MacT working with the Canucks(?) AHL team during Renney's time with the Oil?

Yes he was. Oilers hired MacT back just before picking yakupov at the draft. He was used as an advisor to analyze the issues internally and spent the lockout and shortened season to pick apart the organization.

Remember also that MacT and Lowe DID NOT PART in a friendly manner the first time.
People think it was a friendly parting. It was not. It took a few years to be water under the bridge.

Tambi was GM that last year of MacTs coaching tenure. The last meeting for the two before MacTs dismissal...was not quiet.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
The master plan is McDavid and Babcock. :sarcasm:

20967wj.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad