Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It is one thing to issue refunds to people if they have no option to attend. It is another if they have the option to attend and don't go. I'm not forced to go to any games I have tickets for and they wouldn't refund me if I decided not to go because of a cold or working late or whatever. I can't see any scenario where any event will offer refunds unless it is cancelled or people are actually barred from attending.
I understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree. The fear of a cold scenario is quite a stretch compared to an illness where a government has recommended such large indoor events not be held.

The Jackets have chosen to still hold the events, but IMO they should honor refund requests (or give vouchers for 2021) for those who find it safer for their self and others to follow the gov’s general, but not mandated, request. Most Airlines have already taken similar action but waiving penalties on rebookings. The same is true for other travel related businesses.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree. The fear of a cold scenario is quite a stretch compared to an illness where a government has recommended such large indoor events not be held.

The Jackets have chosen to still hold the events, but IMO they should honor refund requests (or give vouchers for 2021) for those who find it safer for their self and others to follow the gov’s general, but not mandated, request. Most Airlines have already taken similar action but waiving penalties on rebookings. The same is true for other travel related businesses.
That may be true but the travel industry is much bigger than the sports entertainment industry with father reaching impacts. Additionally, I have trip planned for April that I fully intend taking at this time on Southwest. They have not changed their policy. If they want to give a voucher to a future game I can understand but an outright refund on a sports ticket is probably not going to happen.

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016

Moe I agree that refunds should be given (without excuse)

If there are any legal experts on here... could a fan/STH get a refund if the Ohio governor cancels all large events but the CBJ still host games?

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Define quantity of deaths here in the States. The shelflife is short in hot weather. We are approaching good weather.

the vaccine will be created in the same area that it was first released in Wuhan.

you will probably if not already have more deaths from the flu shot than current corona virus.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Glad to see the jackets do the right thing and not cave to all this BS. Cornovirus has killed 26 people in the US, people out there acting like it’s the bubonic plague . If your not old, or in poor health , You have nothing to worry about

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Define quantity of deaths here in the States. The shelflife is short in hot weather. We are approaching good weather.

the vaccine will be created in the same area that it was first released in Wuhan.

you will probably if not already have more deaths from the flu shot than current corona virus.
The vaccine is a year away from being created and the hot weather stuff is not exactly proven just yet.

I like the optimism but unfortunately it’s not looking that bright

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't tell people what to do. This is an individual decision for each person to make. It shouldn't be political or opinion based either. Everyone should make their own decisions based on facts and doctors/science/medicine. What I don't like is misinformation that can cause panic or misinformation that cause people to believe that nothing is wrong. We don't know enough about this virus to make decisions by ourselves. I'm at an age where I need to be careful. So I'm going to border on caution and avoid situations I don't need to be in. Good health to all.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH

Yeah. Sure.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Glad to see the jackets do the right thing and not cave to all this BS. Cornovirus has killed 26 people in the US, people out there acting like it’s the bubonic plague . If your not old, or in poor health , You have nothing to worry about

Untrue, and a dumb opinion to hold

Coronavirus doctor reveals his patients in intensive care are as young as 40 | Daily Mail Online

A California doctor says three men he knows struck down with coronavirus are all in intensive care and are as young as 40 - contradicting claims that the disease only impacts the elderly.

Dr Sam Fink, who is based in the affluent town of Tarzana, began treating two of the men following their return home from a ski trip to Northern Italy late last month. Dr. Fink is friends with a third patient from the trip, who is also now in ICU battling against the virus.

Reactions: Lumbus and Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Just my thoughts:
-I was told Dewine did the original state of emergency so that the state didn't have to do the bid process (so if we need testing kits, etc the state can just buy them). So that makes sense.
-Just my WAG but I'm assuming OSU spring football game could be driving the indoor/outdoor thing.
-I also think a lot of over reactions are happening, but at same time better safe than sorry I suppose.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
On a lighter note... Just for the "experimental" element of it, I'm interested to see what various sports would be like without fans present. March madness in particular, since it probably would level the playing field a little bit. There's no way to truly know what the impact would be, but I feel pretty sure outcomes would be different as a result.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
On a lighter note... Just for the "experimental" element of it, I'm interested to see what various sports would be like without fans present. March madness in particular, since it probably would level the playing field a little bit. There's no way to truly know what the impact would be, but I feel pretty sure outcomes would be different as a result.
Watching top level soccer games without attendance is pretty surreal

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Jackets are just following what the NHL wants, and that so far is to keep everything as is -- outside of the locker room media change.

Feels like the NHL is simply hoping/trying to at least finish the regular season without barring fans and I'm betting they have encouraged teams to all follow their lead outside of a city council or whatever stepping in (like SJ).

I'll be going Thursday, but I've gotta work Saturday so I'll miss that one. I appreciate that they're leaving it up to the fans to decide if they want to attend or not.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The whole concept of not worrying about it if you're younger is asinine. You're not immune to it if you're young, you're just less likely to die from it (allegedly). But you can absolutely still get it and TRANSFER it to other people. That is also a bad thing.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This about sums it up. My sister is admin at children’s , they are not remotely worried about Cornovirus . People need to get a grip, 30 people in the US have died , all older adults , no children . Even in China , where the living conditions are terrible , the % of death is minuscule.

Attachments

• C8EAACF4-6E8F-4CF6-9D4E-52B9875EAF92.jpeg
    C8EAACF4-6E8F-4CF6-9D4E-52B9875EAF92.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 4

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It’s worth pointing out statistically that SARS was much deadlier but didn’t spread as much. As has been pointed out, the biggest impact are to those who are older and/or have extenuating health conditions. The far majority of people who get this simply just end up sick for a day or two.

I just read an article last night on a Spanish soccer reporter who tested positive for it and he had nothing more than a dry cough but. It has been estimated that as many as 85%. (I think that’s the number I’ve heard quoted) may never know they have it or don’t get sick enough to be worthy of going to a doctor.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This about sums it up. My sister is admin at children’s , they are not remotely worried about Cornovirus . People need to get a grip, 30 people in the US have died , all older adults , no children . Even in China , where the living conditions are terrible , the % of death is minuscule.

You're the guy that complains when the projected hurricane misses landfall and nobody gets killed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This about sums it up. My sister is admin at children’s , they are not remotely worried about Cornovirus .
I work in NCH research (in RB3, specifically), and this statement is flat out bullshit, and I have the records to prove it. We've been getting regular hospital-wide emails any time travel bans get extended over here, and we don't even work with active patients and are in a separate facility from the hospital tower (across the street). Folks aren't panicking like it's the end of the world, but it's being taken very seriously. The worry is less about direct mortality rate and more about health care systems getting overwhelmed due to the infection rate and how long it lasts, and that's definitely something to be concerned about.

My father is a co-worker of mine (we carpool), and he's been staying at home since last week at the request of our PI because of his recent battle with cancer (forgot to mention here, by the way, he kicked its ass ;) but will have to be watching the rest of his life) and his asthma issues. Likewise myself because of asthma issues and, well, regular contact with my father. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad