OT: Relationship Advice Thread

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I ended up blessed as a MF by owning my love of LotR, GoT, and fantasy in general. We love food, cooking, the outdoors, NYR, all things fantasy nerd, etc.
Are you sure she is only 5x out of your league? Naaah, she is adorable. But then again, looks aren't everything.....and that is coming from someone that has been blessed with good looks, ummmm a big "nose", but I ain't got money. So......therefore I am single. Lol.
P.S. And am totally okay with that. Been through the ringer more than once.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Are you sure she is only 5x out of your league? Naaah, she is adorable. But then again, looks aren't everything.....and that is coming from someone that has been blessed with good looks, ummmm a big "nose", but I ain't got money. So......therefore I am single. Lol.
P.S. And am totally okay with that. Been through the ringer more than once.
DDA52E9A-E710-49C7-ABEF-7DC80D5BD8EC.jpeg 5x is probably accurate... what are you trying to say? :huh:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is what the Grabner-lookalike competition at my local bar would be like, IMO

There’s a name I’d take back for the 4th line. He’s fallen off a bit but I loved him as a Ranger and if we could swap Smith or Staal‘s contract for him (one year at about 3.5M) or we could sign him for close to 1M the next summer, I’d be happy to have him on the 4th line.

He’s much more ripped than I am. We’re the same weight and he’s 4” taller. But I still take it as a compliment. He’s a professional hockey player and I’m an amateur power lifter, complete with power keg for a stomach.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
OK LDog and the rest of you Casanova's...lol. Got my first covid date this Friday. Met her online about a week ago and after suggesting we move this from the dating site to FB IM where communiques would be better, she kind of surprised me but a pleasant one and gave me unprompted her cell # and so we've been chatting on the phone a few times as well and the convos have been pretty good. I've seen some pics of her and she's kind of attractive tho you never know until you see someone in person.

Reactions: will1066

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
On a related note there is another gal I've also been in contact and she's very attractive as per her pics. I wrote her and told her I liked her profile, things she described about herself and liked the vibe she gave off. Told her to check mine out and my pics if she felt same way, I'll hear back from her. If not, I said kiddingly well it was her loss....lol. I than said I guess I'd wish you nothing but the best in her search. Anyways, as I kind of expected and hoped, she did write back and told me she thought I seemed like a fun guy, she liked my profile and she was happy that a guy in his 50's wasn't all about "making America great again".

Reason she said that is because in my profile, I said that any Trumpsters and/or fans of Donald Trump need not apply and that they should simply:

Here's what I say and I calculated that whoever I do match with will appreciate this opinion of mine. I'm coyping and pasting what I said

My exact message goes like this too any prospective babes:

"If you've got a good sense of humor, like to laugh,enjoy some spontaneity and you can deal with a guy who can go from loving Broadway shows(Wicked and Rent were the best), likes sports, is a transplant from NY(Go Mets, Jets and Rangers!...lol) but loves it here near Philly for past 12 years or so and you are attractive, have a nice smile and most importantly are intelligent and can have stimulating convos, well I do believe we might be on to something....hmmmm. So yes introverts should probably pass me by...apologies and good luck to ya!

One caveat and trust me it stinks that I even have to say it but in this crazy wacko zombie apocalypse world we live in now, if your a fan of Donald Trump and are a "Trumpster" just move on to the next profile, as it won't work with us and thanks for stopping by . And yes I've tried, however I have found that I have a different value system than most of the Trump lovers I've met and to me values and integrity are huge biggies with me. Sorry just the way it is.

Anyways,...just being frank and honest from the outset and if I've offended some peeps...oh well deal with it as I'm sure you'll find someone who floats your boat more than I would...lol.

On a more positive note, if your not offended about this stance of mine, and you like what you've read, well send me a message and let's see if we have the "C" word and we'll go from there...cheers...:)

What do you guys think of this? I've gotten a pretty good response but just wondering if you guys think it's a bit much...or should I tailor it a bit more. Or keep it as is. Let's hear it gents!

Reactions: and 99 others

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
On a related note there is another gal I've also been in contact and she's very attractive as per her pics. I wrote her and told her I liked her profile, things she described about herself and liked the vibe she gave off. Told her to check mine out and my pics if she felt same way, I'll hear back from her. If not, I said kiddingly well it was her loss....lol. I than said I guess I'd wish you nothing but the best in her search. Anyways, as I kind of expected and hoped, she did write back and told me she thought I seemed like a fun guy, she liked my profile and she was happy that a guy in his 50's wasn't all about "making America great again".

Reason she said that is because in my profile, I said that any Trumpsters and/or fans of Donald Trump need not apply and that they should simply:

Here's what I say and I calculated that whoever I do match with will appreciate this opinion of mine. I'm coyping and pasting what I said

My exact message goes like this too any prospective babes:

"If you've got a good sense of humor, like to laugh,enjoy some spontaneity and you can deal with a guy who can go from loving Broadway shows(Wicked and Rent were the best), likes sports, is a transplant from NY(Go Mets, Jets and Rangers!...lol) but loves it here near Philly for past 12 years or so and you are attractive, have a nice smile and most importantly are intelligent and can have stimulating convos, well I do believe we might be on to something....hmmmm. So yes introverts should probably pass me by...apologies and good luck to ya!

One caveat and trust me it stinks that I even have to say it but in this crazy wacko zombie apocalypse world we live in now, if your a fan of Donald Trump and are a "Trumpster" just move on to the next profile, as it won't work with us and thanks for stopping by . And yes I've tried, however I have found that I have a different value system than most of the Trump lovers I've met and to me values and integrity are huge biggies with me. Sorry just the way it is.

Anyways,...just being frank and honest from the outset and if I've offended some peeps...oh well deal with it as I'm sure you'll find someone who floats your boat more than I would...lol.

On a more positive note, if your not offended about this stance of mine, and you like what you've read, well send me a message and let's see if we have the "C" word and we'll go from there...cheers...:)

What do you guys think of this? I've gotten a pretty good response but just wondering if you guys think it's a bit much...or should I tailor it a bit more. Or keep it as is. Let's hear it gents!
I like you

Reactions: CaptTennille

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of attraction. I've been talking to this girl for probably close to 2 months now and I've never seen more than her face whether in pictures or zoom. It's driving me crazy. I don't need a supermodel but I'd like to have someone who's in decent shape and I'm hoping she's at least that. She has a roundish face but that doesn't mean THAT much, could just be her face. The rest of her body that I can see seems to be ok. I know there's a population of people that have their heads in their clouds and think this is misogynistic, but whatever. In the real world this stuff matters.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I think I did an about-face when it comes to "Trump supporters need not apply". I used to think it was obnoxious white people virtue signaling and being narrow-minded. However, honestly while many are, I do think there's something to be said about culture. It doesn't have to be that nefarious. For example, if I was set up with a plumber or something I probably wouldn't be interested not because plumbers are bad but we'll likely be very different people culturally.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Speaking of attraction. I've been talking to this girl for probably close to 2 months now and I've never seen more than her face whether in pictures or zoom. It's driving me crazy. I don't need a supermodel but I'd like to have someone who's in decent shape and I'm hoping she's at least that. She has a roundish face but that doesn't mean THAT much, could just be her face. The rest of her body that I can see seems to be ok. I know there's a population of people that have their heads in their clouds and think this is misogynistic, but whatever. In the real world this stuff matters.

You have to have a physical attraction whether it's "PC" or not. If the babe we are dealing with is not attractive and you might not want to kiss her even tho she's smart, has a good sense of humour, I don't see how the relationship can move to the next level. So I think your in the right place and you need to see how you feel about her when you meet her in person.

I know for me as I said, I'm going to find out Friday nite if this woman I'm in communique with is both physically attractive and mentally stimulating. Hard to know this via Zoom or from some pics. Good luck to both of us Snow...lol

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like you

Not sure your being serious or not but that's a first...your mention of the word "like" in the same sentence or paragraph of anything I've ever said since we've known each other not that there is anything wrong with that...lol

That said, if you are serious what are you referring too with your comment...just curious

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Speaking of attraction. I've been talking to this girl for probably close to 2 months now and I've never seen more than her face whether in pictures or zoom. It's driving me crazy. I don't need a supermodel but I'd like to have someone who's in decent shape and I'm hoping she's at least that. .

check if she’s rich and call it day.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So I think I did an about-face when it comes to "Trump supporters need not apply". I used to think it was obnoxious white people virtue signaling and being narrow-minded. However, honestly while many are, I do think there's something to be said about culture. It doesn't have to be that nefarious. For example, if I was set up with a plumber or something I probably wouldn't be interested not because plumbers are bad but we'll likely be very different people culturally.

Tho I like some of what you are saying, I can't agree with you with the stance I have that "Trump butt kissers should just move on" cause it just won't work. As I said in my profile, Trumpsters have different value systems than non Trumpsters. I value integrity and I'm not OK with lying and being let's just say it a f'n dbag. I find that the woman I've met over the years who for some god forsaken reason luv Trump are far worse than some of the male friends I have who are Trumpsters. These woman are mean, nasty and they have no respect for anyone like me who says a word against their savant.

I'm telling ya, it's the most bizarre thing I've seen is that somehow Trump who has done despicable things to woman during the course of his life, has some of these woman wrapped around his finger and he can do no wrong. Sorry but I have NO respect whatsover for these woman. And I sure as hell wouldn't want to date one even for a first date no matter how hot she might be. This is non negotiable for me.

So that's why I felt my stating my stance about Trump very early on at the outset, would weed out the wackos who might find me attractive and fun to be around yet it would be a waste of time once the topic of convo eventually came to whether you are for or against the Idiot in Chief. So why not nip it in the bud right from the onset and so far it seems to be working.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not sure your being serious or not but that's a first...your mention of the word "like" in the same sentence or paragraph of anything I've ever said since we've known each other not that there is anything wrong with that...lol

That said, if you are serious what are you referring too with your comment...just curious

I certainly agree on the political sentiment.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't know if it's a matter of not being yourself but maybe more so not being comfortable being yourself. I do sense a lack of confidence. Not saying that to put you down or anything, I've been in that boat.

Don't worry about the alpha thing. It's actually been disproved across multiple species, let alone humans. Alpha/beta male dichotomy doesn't really exist. There's a ton of nuance, context, and individual experiences at play here that this false dichotomy is missing.

Yes, aggressive males do succeed because arrogance and dominance is better than submissiveness and lack of confidence, but genuine self-esteem and comfort in one's own skin rates much higher than arrogance and dominance. This is according to social science research. I think genuine confidence is something you may need to work on.

Assertiveness has shown to be one of the most attractive traits. That's not the same as aggressiveness, self-centeredness, or "edge." For example, if there's genuine interest, the assertive thing to do is go for it, not try to hide it to fit an archetype. That signals non-assertiveness and discomfort with what you're doing.

I get the "mess with girls" thing because my most successful interactions have been with girls where we can push each other's buttons. That's the "game" as it were. But that's really a chemistry thing. Different girls have different buttons and you have to find what makes her tick; you have to find little "memes" between the two of you. That requires presenting yourself wholly and assertively, observing her instead of being so self-conscious (this is advice I've gotten a lot), and genuineness (which is also a highly-rated trait). My lady friends have told me that guys who try to mess around in an inorganic way come off insulting and weird. So I would work on it as a mindset as opposed to as a skill. Be confident.

As far as leaving, if you think it will help, you do you. That's kind of the whole point. But don't expect external changes to fix everything without doing the hard internal work of having genuine self-esteem.

With that, I leave you with a real dating expert:

I agree with a lot of this.

I definitely click better with women now that I'm older and wiser. I am happy in marriage, but I do wish I knew then what I know now. I have more game now than I did back then. I have mostly women friends. Even though I'm married, I've had a "work wife" at every job I've had. These women were married or had relationships of their own, but mutual chemistry and attraction definitely were present with all of them during work hours -- and each had a unique dynamic. In my case, we were just friends. In yours, work up a friendship and build from that foundation.

Definitely be genuine, be comfortable in your own skin, exude self-esteem. You need to ignore your deficiencies and negative thoughts, throw them aside, throw caution to the wind, and put your best foot/best self forward no matter what. Be assertive but not aggressive -- let the lady lead, but step in when you sense the need.

And most of all, be funny. Win them over with humor. Looks do help -- I ain't no looker; I work out, do my best with the face and body I've got -- but if you are damn funny, quick witted, and are good with a little verbal gamesmanship, then you have a chance. Women are attracted to funnymen. It's proven.

Translate what we all do here to the person you're going after, which is share funny memes and gifs, share funny articles, have a laugh over something happening that you're both aware of. If you make it comfortable and offer fun and wit, they will respond.

Don't play hard to get for too long. It doesn't work. Didn't Billy Joel teach you anything? Don't do what Andy in The Office did with Erin. After a few days, if you don't hear from her, reach out, don't keep her waiting, don't keep her confused or guessing. That's being assertive. She's probably busy with life, so you need to step in and make yourself known.

Recently I had an unsolicited recruiter ask me if I was interested in a job. I told a lady friend at work, and she admitted to me that while she was being supportive, she was metaphorically going to cry in a corner as I was telling her about the job offer.

Earlier, I had a Zoom call with another person, and she jokingly told me not to comment about her tank top. I was like, "no judgment zone here." Then she reminded me that I had made a tank-top comment about another girl at a previous all-team meeting. Why would she even make a comment like that, or put a comment I made in her memory bank, if she wasn't comfortable with me?

There's yet this other girl at work, super pretty, who I joke with. As we got to talking over the course of a few months, her natural goofiness came out, which is great because I'm also a goofball.

She and I have had some deep conversations, she shares her feelings and opinions about everything with me. Be a good listener.

She calls me her PIC at work, partner in crime. I made some salty-sweet analogy about this other person with her, and she quipped to me, "you can catch flies with honey, but you catch more honeys by being fly." lol

So build a comfort level and a rapport with your muse before doing anything else. That's the foundation. Attractive traits then naturally come out of that.

That's my spiel. Just sharing what has worked for me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad