Speculation: Reinhart is likely the top forward on the Sabres board

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Not convinced either will wear the C if we draft them. I think it lies in waiting for Girgensens.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I like that you just snuck "better player" right in at the end. Really adds to the overall credibility of the post. :laugh:

Reinhart is the better player and leader right now.

If the conversation is about who you want more, then it is about who is the better player, leadership included.

Bennett is a better skater and initiates more contact but at the moment that is detremental to his leadership this year. Bennett took far too many undisciplined penalties that put his team in a bad spot.
His playing style also lead to more injuries including the playoffs where his team blew a 3-0 series lead to lose in 7 games to an inferior team.

Reinhart was captain of his junior team, played an important part for Team Canada and shows leadership with his disciplined play. He wins a lot of corner and board battles, is better in the defensive zone and much better on face offs.

Bennett wears his heart on his sleeve and is a warrior and would be great for Buffalo but that alone doesn't automatically make him a better player or leader than Reinhart.

That was my whole point. I really like both players and would be happy with either.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Last year, ie pre 13 draft, Reinhart was the guy. Since then, he has not slipped at all in my book. He's produced in the reg season, playoffs and intl stage. To me, it says consistency. He's just the guy this team has needed for years. Steady, heady, decent size, pedigree, center, etc...there is nothing that says "no" about Reinhart.....

Please just get this one pick right...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
photo3.jpg

Lets not get too carried away with NHL leadership capabilities based on wearing a letter in juniors :)

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Last year, ie pre 13 draft, Reinhart was the guy. Since then, he has not slipped at all in my book. He's produced in the reg season, playoffs and intl stage. To me, it says consistency. He's just the guy this team has needed for years. Steady, heady, decent size, pedigree, center, etc...there is nothing that says "no" about Reinhart.....

Please just get this one pick right...
I agree, Reinhart has shown nothing but consistency on every stage he's touched; including constant improvement each season in the WHL. Not saying Bennett can't be better than him in the future but I rather take the sure thing rather than the "hopeful prospect" even tho technically every prospect is hopeful but Reinhart has less shadows around his future.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
photo3.jpg

Lets not get too carried away with NHL leadership capabilities based on wearing a letter in juniors :)

Touche!! :)

Even though Roy wore the C that year, Mike Richards and Gregory Campbell were the true leaders of that Rangers team.

Reinhart being captain of Canada's under 18 team and his junior team in his draft year does show a strong leadership trend for him.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I think Girgensons could be a strong candidate for the 'C'..but I think his game needs to evolve more. He's obviously the type of guy you want on this team, there's no doubt about that...I think next season he definitely wears the 'A'.

I think Myers should get the 'C'. He's been through a lot in this league as a young player, he's seen highs and lows. That kind of experience is invaluable. If his game continues to progress, I think he's a strong candidate. Plus he gets the most ice time for this team (if not now, then definitely the future).

Reinhart will get an 'A' after Stafford is traded away this season or next.

McDavid doesn't need a letter on his sweater...as long as that sweater is the Buffalo Sabres :D hehe

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hrmmmm, this thread seems to have devolved a bit.

On the current topic of leadership....who you are at 17/18 rarely is a reflection of who you will be at 25-26. Commanding respect of a room full of millionaires is different than being handed a C when the coach is really the one in charge of keeping the kids in check. I don't care if they are both captains of the canada WJC, it doesn't mean it will make them a successful NHL captain.

Honestly, this is one of the big reasons I want Ryan Callahan. Let's get a guy with experience and let him take all the pressure off our kids till they are ready.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Hrmmmm, this thread seems to have devolved a bit.

On the current topic of leadership....who you are at 17/18 rarely is a reflection of who you will be at 25-26. Commanding respect of a room full of millionaires is different than being handed a C when the coach is really the one in charge of keeping the kids in check. I don't care if they are both captains of the canada WJC, it doesn't mean it will make them a successful NHL captain.

Honestly, this is one of the big reasons I want Ryan Callahan. Let's get a guy with experience and let him take all the pressure off our kids till they are ready.

I want him also. Let's just hope he wants us. The fact that he has not already signed in Tampa is emcouraging.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This morning on WGR White or Koziol said that they had talked to people that indicated that Callahan would listen if the Sabres called him...

I could have told them that. What else would he do? Hang up and block their number?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He could say he didn't have interest in signing with a club that is rebuilding and he's looking to go to a contender.

To be fair, Brad Richards said the same thing and pretty much had his heart set on NYR (Sean Avery took him around NYC well before he was officially a UFA) and used other teams to drive his price up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To be fair, Brad Richards said the same thing and pretty much had his heart set on NYR (Sean Avery took him around NYC well before he was officially a UFA) and used other teams to drive his price up.

I could see that being the case, as well.

Only time will tell if he has serious interest in coming to Buffalo or not.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I get that, but anyone who watched even one game of Kingston this year could tell you that Bennett was the leader of that team regardless of wearing a letter on his jersey. That team went as he did. Kevin Devine all but said he is captain material.

Anyways, you gotta take who you think is going to be the best player.

100% true. Bennett was the leader of the Fronts, whether Gill decided he should have a letter or not. It wasn't as if the team voted on it, it was management who handed it out at the start of the year. I'm sure Bennett will have the C this year (well, unless they give it to McKeown that is), assuming he is back in Kingston.

As for the top prospects game, I think Reinhart was wearing the C as he was the top prospect at the time (or behind Bennett who was injured). I'm not sure it has anything to do with leadership.

As far as who is the better leader between the two, it's pretty hard to say one is a better leader than the other, especially when they are a year apart in age and play on different teams, etc. I think they are both natural leaders.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Reinhart is the better player and leader right now.

If the conversation is about who you want more, then it is about who is the better player, leadership included.

Bennett is a better skater and initiates more contact but at the moment that is detremental to his leadership this year. Bennett took far too many undisciplined penalties that put his team in a bad spot.
His playing style also lead to more injuries including the playoffs where his team blew a 3-0 series lead to lose in 7 games to an inferior team.

Reinhart was captain of his junior team, played an important part for Team Canada and shows leadership with his disciplined play. He wins a lot of corner and board battles, is better in the defensive zone and much better on face offs.

Bennett wears his heart on his sleeve and is a warrior and would be great for Buffalo but that alone doesn't automatically make him a better player or leader than Reinhart.

That was my whole point. I really like both players and would be happy with either.

You talk as if one had to do with the other. Bennett was phenomenal in playoffs (while playing hurt). They lost in spite of his performance. The Kingston loss had more to do with the Petes goalie standing on his head and GM Gilmour forgetting to upgrade the Fronts goaltending at the trade deadline (and shockingly enough it continued to suck).

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
You talk as if one had to do with the other. Bennett was phenomenal in playoffs (while playing hurt). They lost in spite of his performance. The Kingston loss had more to do with the Petes goalie standing on his head and GM Gilmour forgetting to upgrade the Fronts goaltending at the trade deadline (and shockingly enough it continued to suck).

Your assessment is bang on. The point I was trying to make that his playing style leads to more injuries, sometimes at key times. It reminds me a lot of Wendel Clark, the captain and leader of the Leafs. His style led to many injuries that kept him out of the lineup at many key times for the Leafs. That is the red flag I have with Bennett, whether his style can hold up. If your best player and heart and soul leader is injured a lot of the time, the team will suffer.

I love Bennett's game and would be happy if the Sabres picked him, I just have that one red flag with him. No one can predict injuries but a smaller player with a robust style has more of a chance of it happening.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Your assessment is bang on. The point I was trying to make that his playing style leads to more injuries, sometimes at key times. It reminds me a lot of Wendel Clark, the captain and leader of the Leafs. His style led to many injuries that kept him out of the lineup at many key times for the Leafs. That is the red flag I have with Bennett, whether his style can hold up. If your best player and heart and soul leader is injured a lot of the time, the team will suffer.

I love Bennett's game and would be happy if the Sabres picked him, I just have that one red flag with him. No one can predict injuries but a smaller player with a robust style has more of a chance of it happening.

Fair enough, although I think he is a bit more robust than people give him credit for. In his rookie year, he didn't miss any games and last year he only missed 11 games. Many players take runs at him and he is very adept at avoiding contact and is very elusive and manages to almost never take bit hits. I don't remember the groin injury but his nose injury was in game 7 when the chips were down and he got drilled from behind into the crossbar on a partial breakaway. It drew a 5 minute major and could have been the difference in putting the Fronts over the top in that series. Long story short, I'm not sure he's as reckless as some people make him out to be. But for sure he has to put on some muscle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad