Speculation: Reinhart is likely the top forward on the Sabres board

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I think the difference is worth it. But I also don't think the cost would be that high.

1. If Florida wants Reinhart, they aren't trading the pick
2. If Florida wants Ekblad and Buffalo wants Reinhart, a swap can be made for minimal assets (2nd and 3rd)?
3. If Florida wants a large package they will have to move down further (passing on both Reinhart and Ekblad), by doing the trade with Buffalo FIRST, they can still get a larger package by moving down from #2 with a team that covets Ekblad. They would however lose suitors targeting Reinhart.

Exactly this. The only way they wouldn't do it is if the team targeting Reinhart is offering the better package than the team pursuing Ekblad.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Exactly this. The only way they wouldn't do it is if the team targeting Reinhart is offering the better package than the team pursuing Ekblad.

Bingo

Which is why my main concern is Vancouver making an offer that included Kesler.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He has given his 6 teams and all of them are top notch contenders. (Anaheim, Colorado, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Chicago and Pittsburgh.) No way he goes to Florida.

And Vancouver could very well give him the option of Florida (a young team on the come, with his good friend, new ownership, and a GM who built a contender) or he can stick trough the rebuild for another year

The list he submitted at the deadline is irrelevant now

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I dont see where it makes sense for Fla to go after a 30 yr old when an extremely talented player in Reinhart is available to you. I think Fla is looking for a defender. Bieksa isnt worth 1st overall and 1st overall isnt worth Bieksa and 6. He's also 32. I dont hear "an offer we are considering" when Fla says a "fair offer".

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I dont see where it makes sense for Fla to go after a 30 yr old when an extremely talented player in Reinhart is available to you. I think Fla is looking for a defender. Bieksa isnt worth 1st overall and 1st overall isnt worth Bieksa and 6. He's also 32. I dont hear "an offer we are considering" when Fla says a "fair offer".

I'm not saying I agree with them. But from all reports they seem to be more interested in a player or 2 who will be available in the 6-10 range and think that these players are just as good as Reinhart.

So in their minds, they get a player of equal value + a vet for the top-6 to allow Barkov more time to feast on inferior lines.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The amount of comments coming out of the front office regarding all these guys... should only tell you one thing... they want to make sure no one knows who they will pick. It strengthens their position.

If the clear cut #1 forward (Reinhart) gets taken ahead of them, the potential for them to move down a spot or 2, is strengthened if teams have no idea if they'll take Ekblad or Bennett, or even... shudder.... Leon.

Misdirection prior to the draft is a good sign. It shows Murray and Co are engaged in playing the game to strengthen their own position through the media. Smart. NFL teams do this all the time.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Stranger things have happened but I doubt Kesler waives to go to Florida. The Panthers would have to do a hell of a job convincing him that they will be a contender this coming season.

Now...the Canucks could move Kesler to another team, and use some of those assets coming back to lure the 1st overall from Florida. Chris Tanev could be the piece the Panthers are seeking along with another asset (6th overall?).

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I know everyone seems to really want Reinhart, but I'm one of the few hoping they take Bennett. To me he's just got the it factor. I don't know what it is. I know Girgensons has it, I'm pretty sure Grigorenko doesn't. Reinhart seems like a very nice player, but I think the Sabres need a guy who they can make a leader of men and I think Bennett will become that. Also his style of play is more attractive to me. Just goes all out all the time. And I think he'll get another year in Jrs. Which will be good for his development and to me he's got the biggest upside of any player as we've really yet to see him develop as much as those in the top of this class.

Also I think Ekblad is slightly overrated. He's big and strong etc, but doing it against kids and he won't grow too much more. His upside to me is limited.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know everyone seems to really want Reinhart, but I'm one of the few hoping they take Bennett. To me he's just got the it factor. I don't know what it is. I know Girgensons has it, I'm pretty sure Grigorenko doesn't. Reinhart seems like a very nice player, but I think the Sabres need a guy who they can make a leader of men and I think Bennett will become that. Also his style of play is more attractive to me. Just goes all out all the time. And I think he'll get another year in Jrs. Which will be good for his development and to me he's got the biggest upside of any player as we've really yet to see him develop as much as those in the top of this class.

Also I think Ekblad is slightly overrated. He's big and strong etc, but doing it against kids and he won't grow too much more. His upside to me is limited.

I find it interesting that Reinhart, who wore the C in Kootenay and at the top prospects game isn't a leader of men, yet Bennett, who didn't wear a letter in Kingston is.

Sam-Reinhart.jpg

images

sam_reinhart_kootenay_120713.jpg

Kingston-Frontenacs-first-round-pick-Sam-Bennett-OHL-Images.jpg

Sam-Bennett.png

ZeroPT*

that's probably because he's almost a year older and this is his 3rd junior season vs Bennett's 2nd

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not gonna get into who the better leader debate, but didn't Bennett play only one year with the Marlboros? A team absolutely stacked. Of course he isn't going to wear a letter. Even though it shouldn't really matter if he was a captain at 15 years old.

And with Kingston, it's pretty rare to have a 17 year old wearing a leter. MacKinnon didn't even have a letter and he lead his team to the Memorial Cup.

Some guys come out of juniors with a "rep" of being a leader and don't become the leaders they thought. Others mature and become great leaders. My guess is that they both wear a letter down the road.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
that's probably because he's almost a year older and this is his 3rd junior season vs Bennett's 2nd

I don't think he's trying to disparage Bennett as much as he's trying to point out that Reinhart is already a proven leader. You can't really say Bennett is a leader of men in an argument advocating him over Reinhart. Not to say Bennett won't become a leader or isn't already one.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think he's trying to disparage Bennett as much as he's trying to point out that Reinhart is already a proven leader. You can't really say Bennett is a leader of men in an argument advocating him over Reinhart. Not to say Bennett won't become a leader or isn't already one.

I get that, but anyone who watched even one game of Kingston this year could tell you that Bennett was the leader of that team regardless of wearing a letter on his jersey. That team went as he did. Kevin Devine all but said he is captain material.

Anyways, you gotta take who you think is going to be the best player.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I think his point is, though, that style of play can reflect leadership while wearing the 'C' doesn't necessarily. He's saying that Bennett's willingness to go into the corners, to hit and get hit is leadership in its own.

While I'm not saying they are anything alike, look at past captains the Sabres had that people didn't particularly like:
Vanek: People called lazy and checked out
Pomminville: Coach's yes man, not really a ton of leadership
Rivet: Hard worker that didn't play very well.

While I'm not saying Reinhart is like any of the above (but probably closest to Pommer), just being a captain doesn't make you a leader.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Perhaps, but Reinhart wore an A with Kootenay last year and Bennett didn't appear to wear a letter with the Marlies.

All I'm trying to say that it is an interesting take given that one Sam has a history of wearing the C and the other doesn't.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This just seems like "I want this guy instead of this guy so let's make unreasonable judgements to pump my guy up and knock the other guy." No one can argue that Bennett is a better leader at this point. There is no evidence to back it up. Is he a guy who gives everything he's got, yes. Would I be happy if the Sabres picked him, yes. Is he a better player and leader than Reinhart, no.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No one can argue that Bennett is a better leader at this point.

I don't really see anyone saying that, if that's what you thought I was saying I must not have been clear enough.

My point was supposed to be, you shouldn't just base a guy as a leader or not a leader because they wear a letter in juniors. So many factors are involved in that decision, a key thing being maturation. Both guys have shown qualities that you look for in a leader although only one wears a letter. I believe both will down the road.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
This just seems like "I want this guy instead of this guy so let's make unreasonable judgements to pump my guy up and knock the other guy." No one can argue that Bennett is a better leader at this point. There is no evidence to back it up. Is he a guy who gives everything he's got, yes. Would I be happy if the Sabres picked him, yes. Is he a better player and leader than Reinhart, no.
Is this a fact? :laugh:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I like that you just snuck "better player" right in at the end. Really adds to the overall credibility of the post. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad