Speculation: Reinhart is likely the top forward on the Sabres board

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Either the Sabres are blowing alot of smoke, or Reinhart is the top forward on their board

From April 15th:

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/456234534778830849

Sabres GM Tim Murray: "We have a forward that we have somewhat of a consensus in the group that is at the top of the forward list."

From Friday:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=29839

The only prospect interviewed by Sabres color guy, Dan Dunleavy. The Sabres send a rep to Toronto....he leaves with just one interview, Reinhart.

From Today:
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/92774048/6-3-sabres-assistant-gm-kevin-devine-talks-draft-on-wgr.htm?

Around the 5 minute mark, Devine basically gushes over Reinhart, calling him "Best playmaker I've seen in 10-15 years"

Now, if your scouting group has a 'consensus' and the head scout has an obvious mancrush on Reinhart, and the Sabres send a media rep to the combine and only have an interview with 1 player, i mean, where there's smoke, there's fire, correct?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Either the Sabres are blowing alot of smoke, or Reinhart is the top forward on their board

From April 15th:

https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/456234534778830849

From Friday:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=29839

The only prospect interviewed by Sabres color guy, Dan Dunleavy. The Sabres send a rep to Toronto....he leaves with just one interview, Reinhart.

From Today:
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/92774048/6-3-sabres-assistant-gm-kevin-devine-talks-draft-on-wgr.htm?

Around the 5 minute mark, Devine basically gushes over Reinhart, calling him "Best playmaker I've seen in 10-15 years"

Now, if your scouting group has a 'consensus' and the head scout has an obvious mancrush on Reinhart, and the Sabres send a media rep to the combine and only have an interview with 1 player, i mean, where there's smoke, there's fire, correct?

Yeah...that seems pretty indicative about where we stand heading into the draft. Couldn't be happier, personally. Reinhart is going to be a major part of this teams success after the rebuild is complete.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Reinhart has always seemed like more of Tim Murray's brand of player. Personal preference aside (I've wavered back and forth between Sam and Samson), I think any internal debate by the Sabres has been between Reinhart and Ekblad, not Reinhart and Bennett.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
In some odd, probably mistaken way I'm happy we don't have first pick. I really want a forward but it would be hard to pass on Ekblad.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sure. Looking forward to it. SR is a hell of a player.

That said, I always maintained LD was in the top group mix, which I have clearly been proven right about.

You have a funny definition of "clearly" and "proven".

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Reinhart has always seemed like more of Tim Murray's brand of player. Personal preference aside (I've wavered back and forth between Sam and Samson), I think any internal debate by the Sabres has been between Reinhart and Ekblad, not Reinhart and Bennett.

I thought everyone was saying Bennett was more of Tim Murray's brand of player?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Devine had some glowing things to say about Bennett, as well. He talked about how his passion is what separates him from the others. Now, he could be saying that he's just a much more passionate, heart-on-his-sleeve guy than the other players in that top group, or that's the characteristic that elevates him above those peers.

Like Doak, when Devine first started talking about Reinhart, I thought he was their guy for sure. Then he started talking about Bennett, and I thought he is their guy. We'll see in 23 days.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

This seems telling, but I would have to know what the media setup is to call it evidence.

Was each team able to do a sit down media interview with multiple prospects?
or
Was each team allotted one prospect to do a sit down media interview?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Devine had some glowing things to say about Bennett, as well. He talked about how his passion is what separates him from the others. Now, he could be saying that he's just a much more passionate, heart-on-his-sleeve guy than the other players in that top group, or that's the characteristic that elevates him above those peers.

Like Doak, when Devine first started talking about Reinhart, I thought he was their guy for sure. Then he started talking about Bennett, and I thought he is their guy. We'll see in 23 days.

That's where I'm at. I think the argument could be made either way. I've always taken Murray's responses to imply that Bennett is their target.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Classic example of people interpreting things to support their POV. No real conclusion of who the "Sabres' Guy" is should be drawn from any of this information.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I think it's a pretty obvious top-3 with Draisatl being the wild-card. I'm sure some teams have him over one or more of the other 3. The others are consistently thought of as the "top" group in the draft.

Reinharts likely the guy, hopefully he's there at 2.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Rienhart maybe a Smokescreen now that it is closer to the draft

Murray said about Bennett --
Bennett has a lot of what the the other two centremen have, and he’s tenacious. He’s a bulldog. He’s on you. He will hit you and he will spear you and he will score on you, he will do what it takes to win

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I wish somehow Florida could take both Ekblad and Reinhart before us. In a draft we all know to be murky at the top, the dogmatic belief in the superiority of these two's talents is really a stark example of simple-minded groupthink.

Bennett is the best player in this draft. His lack of a pullup confirmed it. When he gets even his basic level of man-strength that we all get, Ekbladovski going before him will be laughable.

I'll root for Reinhart, but Bennett would be so much more enjoyable. Please make it happen TM...take the Ontario kid, take the kid with more room to grow, take the kid with more grit and heart, take the game-changer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad