Player Discussion Reid Boucher

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He is a slow skater, and isn't very good off the puck. Nice shot and a decent pass, but you kind of have to cater him offensively. In an ideal world he could pot 30 with the right center feeding him.

How is he in battles? Does he get pushed off the puck?

Can he shield the puck when required?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Would it really be very bad practice?

We're not talking about passing up some quality asset for this reason. We're talking about sifting between what is at most, a marginal difference between two waiver fodder fringe guys extremely unlikely to amount to anything. If Rattie is even the better claim at all - which is entirely debatable.

Meanwhile, Baertschi is in a groove where he's performing like a highly valuable asset. Is the marginal difference from Rattie to Boucher really worth the risk of upsetting what Bae has going? However slight you may personally assess that risk to be?

We've seen how streaky Baertschi can be, and how much "confidence" can play into how successful he is. He can turn into a Pumkin even. I'd definitely err on the side of caution toward protecting that valuable asset from unnecessary distraction over some marginal at best difference between two throwaway fringe pieces.

But maybe i forgot hockey is a spreadsheet. Players aren't people. Mental state isn't a thing. :sarcasm:

It's pretty out there to suggest that we passed on a player to eliminate the very minimal (and likely non-existent) pressure a team mate would feel to help another.

Baer's ability and mental state isn't that fragile for one. For two, WD could just say .. Hey bud. Don't worry about this guy and what he does, K? and it's fixed. Three, Baer's last thoughts are about giving a **** about what some random dude just picked up does on his team other than play hockey... and on and on and on.

We passed on Rattie because we have depth for days on that side.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Good on Benning for picking up this guy.

Now let's see if he follows up by sending down our AHL guys.

He would have gotten a real gold star by picking up Rattie too. Yes I know we have depth on that side but you could send guys down to help Utica, and these waiver guys have upside that I don't think Skille/Megna/Chaput have.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Good on Benning for picking up this guy.

Now let's see if he follows up by sending down our AHL guys.

He would have gotten a real gold star by picking up Rattie too. Yes I know we have depth on that side but you could send guys down to help Utica, and these waiver guys have upside that I don't think Skille/Megna/Chaput have.

I've liked Skille on the fourth, but yea, Megna and Chaput have absolutely no business on an NHL team if any other live body is around.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've got to echo this sentiment. Skille has use at the NHL level. Those other two... I jsut cringe every time, and my heat breaks a little for the Sedins.

It's apparent to anyone that at best Megna is a third-fourth line type who doesn't belong anywhere near the Sedin line....but then neither did Sutter....but that never stops Willie from persisting with these ridiculous line-up decisions long after their "best before' date.

I think it must have something to do with superstition. If the team wins it's just in the coach's DNA not to make any changes.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It's apparent to anyone that at best Megna is a third-fourth line type who doesn't belong anywhere near the Sedin line....but then neither did Sutter....but that never stops Willie from persisting with these ridiculous line-up decisions long after their "best before' date.

I think it must have something to do with superstition. If the team wins it's just in the coach's DNA not to make any changes.

at best Megna is a third-fourth line type who doesn't belong anywhere near the NHL

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
It's pretty out there to suggest that we passed on a player to eliminate the very minimal (and likely non-existent) pressure a team mate would feel to help another.

Baer's ability and mental state isn't that fragile for one. For two, WD could just say .. Hey bud. Don't worry about this guy and what he does, K? and it's fixed. Three, Baer's last thoughts are about giving a **** about what some random dude just picked up does on his team other than play hockey... and on and on and on.

We passed on Rattie because we have depth for days on that side.

Sven might have enjoyed playing with his former teammate again

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
How is he in battles? Does he get pushed off the puck?

Can he shield the puck when required?
I've always been surprised at how strong Boucher is on his skates, actually. But he's not a possession machine, and he will lose the puck if he gets closed down quickly. On the other hand, he's surprisingly physical - he'll make a big hit now and again.

staalhurt_medium.gif

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've always been surprised at how strong Boucher is on his skates, actually. But he's not a possession machine, and he will lose the puck if he gets closed down quickly. On the other hand, he's surprisingly physical - he'll make a big hit now and again.

Thanks for the response.

Hmmm, I think with that description, as long as he's able to put the puck into non-threatening areas when he does lose it, he has a shot to take over Chaput's spot. His shot and offensive instincts are his advantage. Strength on his skates is a good sign as well.

Last edited:

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Kyle Wellwood 2.0

Not meant as an insult, he will probably help the PP.

Just not sure why this guy stood out when there have been so many players on waivers that could have helped us more.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
There seems to be very little news on him
Has he been practicing with the team yet? Is he travelling with the team? When is he likely to see a game?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Kyle Wellwood 2.0

Just not sure why this guy stood out when there have been so many players on waivers that could have helped us more.

i think it might have been immediate need.

it's always fun to watch a new player break in. i wonder when willie will try him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since the guy has played the bulk of his pro career in Albany, a team which plays Utica about eight times a season, you'd like to think that the Canuck braintrust has at least gotten a good look at him over a couple of seasons.

And given the history of the pro scouting staff, I'd be a lot more concerned if he was a d-man instead of a forward. But his AHL stats are far superior to any of Gaunce, Chaput or Megna...and obviously NJ thought enough of him to re-claim him off waivers.

His biggest hurdle to getting into an NHL lineup regularly might be Willie.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Kyle Wellwood 2.0

I think he stood out for a few reasons:

1) Left shot that is more a LWer than a RWer. Their depth on the left side is weaker than the right. He can push Granlund for his 2LW spot.

2) Right side depth has Burrows, Hansen, Eriksson, Rodin, Megna, Skille, Dorsett (injured) and sometimes Sutter... They were not going to pick up a RWer, IMO.

3) Has a good shot and good strength. Rattie lacks strength. Pulkinnen is weak, also a right shot. Andrighetto would have been fine, but he's also a natural RWer.

That's what comes to mind. Were you thinking about any player in particular? I think it was rumoured that they would have put in a claim for Nieto (another LWer) had he made it past COL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad