Baertschi................Stajan.....................Hudler
Horak.................... Jones......................Stempniak

Jackman
Comeau
Cervenka (IR)

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Because I don't like it that the best center on the Flames is Stajan.

I don't like the idea of trying Tanguay or Cammallarri at center.

It might not be Arnott, but someone is gonna have to be brought in.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Because I don't like it that the best center on the Flames is Stajan.

I don't like the idea of trying Tanguay or Cammallarri at center.

It might not be Arnott, but someone is gonna have to be brought in.

Cammy was fine for the little while that he played C last season. I think they will try their hardest to make that work before bringing someone in.. Between Cammy, Backlund, Stajan, Jones, Horak, and Cervenka, we're definitely not 'solid' down the middle, but there are a lot of options ATM..

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It was brought up by someone else that line is tiny, I think they would be ok but it might be a bit much.

It's not that small. Baertschi's 5.11, Backlund 6.00 and Cammalleri's 5.09.

But if they're overwhelmed at even strength, maybe just make it a second powerplay unit, with Hudler on the first with Tanguay and Iginla.

Tanguay.................Arnott.....................Iginla
Glencross..............Backlund..................Cammallarri
Baertschi................Stajan.....................Hudler
Horak.................... Jones......................Stempniak

Jackman
Comeau
Cervenka (IR)

Arnott was barely a fourth liner by end of last season with the Blues. Giving him the first line center position is fantastic way to get a lottery pick.

As it has been noted numerous times, Stajan isn't a dynamic top six centre, but if put in that position for a full season, he's good for at least 45-55 points.

Cammalleri, to me, is massive question mark at centre for a full season. And while I don't think it will last, he's still a better option than anything left on the free market.

CalgaryFlames1240

Jul 2, 2011
Windsor
I wouldn't be opposed to starting Backlund in the top 6 in a center role. He has proven to be able to hang around with the best competition, he just needs to find his offensive flare which I think is very possible if you factor in our forward depth and his season in Sweden.

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Bartschi-Stajan-Stempniak
Comeau-Jones/Horak-Jackman

Bouwmeester-Wideman
Giordano-Brodie
Butler-Sarich
Babchuk-Smith

Kipper
Karlsson/Irving

Also for Backlund I was looking at flames centers faceoff statistics and I noticed he isn't actually that bad on the draw.

Looking at his last 3 seasons (FOW/FOT)

2009-2010: 102/191 (53.4%)
2010-2011: 319/664 (48.0)
2011-2012: 225/496 (45.4%)

Total: 646/1344 (48.06%)

Looks like he's been getting a little worse each year but he is usually close to 50% which is good considering he is usually playing against other teams top lines. His poor faceoff percentage the past year can possibly be accredited to his hand injury. I see him winning around 47-50% this year which I would be very comfortable with.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Now I am hearing that Cervenka has been cleared to fly and will attend training camp. Sooo at C it is:

1. Stajan
2. Backlund
3. Horak
4. Jones
Wildcard. Cervenka

That is a pretty good group at the AHL level. Problem is that those are the centers for the NHL team.

Cammallari at C is the most likely option. I just don't like that option because other than goaltending the only real strength the Fames have is depth on the wings. Jokinen > Cammalleri at center, so no matter what the Flames do they are weaker at C then last year. I don't think the Flames should be trading future assets at this point, so why not bring in a FA center on a 1 year deal. I like Arnott the best but I would also look at Langkow.

Arnott scored only 14 goals last season. Not nearly enough for a top line C. Well choke on this, those 4 other centers got 16 goals last season. Combined.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The single biggest reason why Backlund will most likely have a much better season can be found here.

With a coach who isn't afraid of playing a young kid in an offensive position, Backlund should be in a much better position to succeed.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
The single biggest reason why Backlund will most likely have a much better season can be found here.

With a coach who isn't afraid of playing a young kid in an offensive position, Backlund should be in a much better position to succeed.

Backlund was given many opportunities last year. I wouldn't blame it entirely on Sutter. Also his finger injury may have been an issue for the greater part of the year.

That being said, this is the make or break season for Backlund. If he doesn't break out, he's done in Calgary.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
As per Roger Millions and Jermain Franklin:

Baertschi is skating with the big boys at WinSport today. I guess that means he won't be playing in Abbotsford this weekend

Also, Cervenka has been cleared to skate but not cleared for contact yet. He will be re-evaluated before training camp. Hes skating today on a seperate rink.

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
Roger Millions‏@RogMillions
Baertschi-Backlund-Glencross on a line this am

Comeau Begin Jones..another Flames unit.

Also D-Pairings..Butler-Bouwmeester...Giordano-Wideman..believe those pairings will stay thru camp..maybe the season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As per Roger Millions and Jermain Franklin:

Baertschi is skating with the big boys at WinSport today. I guess that means he won't be playing in Abbotsford this weekend

Also, Cervenka has been cleared to skate but not cleared for contact yet. He will be re-evaluated before training camp. Hes skating today on a seperate rink.

Baertschi-Backlund-Glencross on a line this am

Comeau Begin Jones..another Flames unit.

Also D-Pairings..Butler-Bouwmeester...Giordano-Wideman..believe those pairings will stay thru camp..maybe the season.

Thanks for the updates guys.

Begin? Really, thats interesting.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think if the Flames have a shot at making the playoffs, Baertshi needs to be on the club. But he has health concerns and I would prefer he isn't rushed. We need to think long term too

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
They can't be serious about Begin...

They have to try him out somewhere. I don't see why so many people are against this. If he makes the team it will be because he outplayed the other players battling for that 4th line spot. We are missing Bouma and this guy brings a lot of energy to the team. If he has a good camp why shouldn't we give him a shot?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I Hope Cervenka is good to go come opening night. Im really excited to see what all the hype for this guy is. Craig Button said a couple days ago that this guy is good enough to be our first line center.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
They have to try him out somewhere. I don't see why so many people are against this. If he makes the team it will be because he outplayed the other players battling for that 4th line spot. We are missing Bouma and this guy brings a lot of energy to the team. If he has a good camp why shouldn't we give him a shot?

I have no problem giving him a shot, just don't see him making it. Didn't know he was there either.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I'm ok with icing the best possible team, and I would hope he outplays everybody, but with our saturated amount of 4th line plugs I ask:

- Do we need to take on the extra contract?
- Is he THAT much better than Jackman, PL3, Bouma, Aliu, Comeau, Stajan, etc?
- Can he handle a condensed season given that he hasn't played much hockey?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Lets hope so. Personally I think he will be a 50 point offensive C. (in a regular year.)

We've seen these "best player outside the NHL" players before that haven't exactly panned out. Guys like Brunnstrom or Gustafsson (Although I will also blame toronto on their disgusting defensive play)... but Cervenka being a little older (27) might give him a better shot at success IMO

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Lets hope so. Personally I think he will be a 50 point offensive C. (in a regular year.)

Our centre position has some huge question marks, but if the stars align, we could potentially have good centre depth.

If Stajan can return to 40+ points, If Backlund can put up at least 30 points, and if Cervenka is a 50+ point guy, we'll be ok down the middle pending we can win some freekin faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad