Line Combos: Regular Season Lineups

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Cervenka is out indefinitely. He has some sort of weird blood infection and he's on medication trying to deal with it. It sounds like there could be some pretty serious complications if he were to play and get hurt. Hopefully he makes a full recovery soon.

Bouma is also done for the season. Hudler is said to be ready to go and I think he finally returned and played his first game after suffering the injury.

These are my combos:

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Stajan Hudler
Baertschi Backlund Stemps
Comeau Jones Jackman

Bouw Wideman
Gio Brodie
Sarich Butler

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
Thank god the idiots stopped putting Stajan on the top line.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Jackman - Comeau - Horak
Jones, Kolanos

Giordano/Bouwmeester - Wideman
Bouwmeester/Giordano - Brodie
Sarich - Butler
Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Karlsson

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
According to the Tangauy interview this morning, he ha been told he will be starting the season as a Center. That should be interesting. And yes, Cervanka will be in town for training camp.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
According to the Tangauy interview this morning, he ha been told he will be starting the season as a Center. That should be interesting. And yes, Cervanka will be in town for training camp.

Good news about Cervanka - I want to see what he can do!
Not sure what to think about Tanguay playing Center
I guess Bob knows him well and made this decision based on that
The Flames may never win a face off though this season unless Iggy is out there on his backhand draw

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Thank god the idiots stopped putting Stajan on the top line.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Baertschi - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Jackman - Comeau - Horak
Jones, Kolanos

Sarich - Butler
Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Karlsson

I like this lineup. The 3rd & 4th line would be changed regularly, but those first two lines need to stay together to find that chemistry. I'm excited to see the new system/players, but I really don't know what to think as far as expectations. If we start off slow, it could be an ugly season. If players get hurt Horak should be the call up. Good news is Iggy gets that slow November/December out of the way, and gets right into his dominant January!

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Good news about Cervanka - I want to see what he can do!
Not sure what to think about Tanguay playing Center
I guess Bob knows him well and made this decision based on that
The Flames may never win a face off though this season unless Iggy is out there on his backhand draw

we should win at least 38 % lol thats thats his fo% in his career

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

We forced him at centre during his first stint, and that didn't work too well. Ofcourse the playmaking centre between two goalscorers sounds great, I just hope there is quick chemistry.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Get a bit creative and give Baertschi some time on top line

Cammalleri/Baertschi - Tanguay - Iginla
Baertschi/Cammalleri - Cervenka/Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund/Cervenka - Stempniak
Jackman - Comeau - Horak

Sarich - Butler
Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Karlsson

Buy out Stajan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That is really great to hear about Cervenka. I know this guy is somewhat of an unknown, but I'm excited to see if his talents will translate well to the NHL. If they do, hopefully we can sign him to a 2 year extension when the season ends.

Also interesting about Tangs. I'm pretty sure he played center in Junior, and he is a natural center. He was never tried at center for to long before, maybe if the coaches commit to it then it could workout well. I totally get the thinking behind it, Cammy and Iggy are snipers so it makes sense to have a playmaker like Alex feeding them the puck.

Cammy Tangs Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Sven Backlund Stempniak
Jones Stajan Comeau

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Super news!!

Now can someone give me a lowdown on this guy. I kinda missed it when we signed him, but seems like he has some good potential. Put up decent numbers in Europe.

Well there's still a hurdle yet. From that same article:
With that, however, so for sure not count general manager Jay Feaster. According to him, was a transatlantic flight in a few days for a hockey player big risk. "We did not get permission to land. We are waiting for the doctors to allow him to travel by plane and then play hockey, but so far we do not have to answer that question," said Feaster Calgary Herald newspaper.

Wait, what? This experiment failed once before.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
That is really great to hear about Cervenka. I know this guy is somewhat of an unknown, but I'm excited to see if his talents will translate well to the NHL. If they do, hopefully we can sign him to a 2 year extension when the season ends.

Also interesting about Tangs. I'm pretty sure he played center in Junior, and he is a natural center. He was never tried at center for to long before, maybe if the coaches commit to it then it could workout well. I totally get the thinking behind it, Cammy and Iggy are snipers so it makes sense to have a playmaker like Alex feeding them the puck.

Cammy Tangs Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Sven Backlund Stempniak
Jones Stajan Comeau

Fully agree with this post. Yes he played center in junior. And that line up looks great.

And I hate the stagan hate on this board. I'm glad we have a coach who will use him properly.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well there's still a hurdle yet. From that same article:

Wait, what? This experiment failed once before.

I don't think Tanguay is strong enough to play center, he always seems to get muscled off the dot, and even when he doesn't he isn't exactly fantastic at the draw itself. I understand from a playmaking point of view this makes some sense, but the whole idea is to win faceoffs and keep control of the puck this doesn't really do that. Wish they would give one of Backlund, Stajan or Horak a crack at it.

Trae

Calgary
Based on the interview, it sounds like Iginla would be taking the faceoffs on the one side of the ice. That would be alright considering Iggy is pretty good on the dot. I don't think we'll see Backlund centering right off the bat as long as Cervenka is healthy, especially considering Backs has been playing wing all season. Here's my stab at it:

Cammalleri - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
Bartschi - Stajan - Backlund
Stempniak - Horak - Comeau
Bouma - Jones - Jackman

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Brodie
Butler - Sarich
Smith - Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Irving
Karlsson

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
The bottom six is going to be a mess. No point in guessing until the dust settles after camp.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I don't think Tanguay is strong enough to play center, he always seems to get muscled off the dot, and even when he doesn't he isn't exactly fantastic at the draw itself. I understand from a playmaking point of view this makes some sense, but the whole idea is to win faceoffs and keep control of the puck this doesn't really do that. Wish they would give one of Backlund, Stajan or Horak a crack at it.

Backlund and Horak are also terrible at the draw and all three of them tend to get muscled off the puck. Besides, Iginla takes all the right side draws anyway; no harm in trying this. Actually, we're so deep at LW so I wouldn't mind if Tanguay and Cammalleri were both used at center.

Hudler - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Cammy - Baertschi

Two skill guys and a physical forward on each line.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund and Horak are also terrible at the draw and all three of them tend to get muscled off the puck. Besides, Iginla takes all the right side draws anyway; no harm in trying this. Actually, we're so deep at LW so I wouldn't mind if Tanguay and Cammalleri were both used at center.

Hudler - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Cammy - Baertschi

Two skill guys and a physical forward on each line.

Would be kind of interesting if they all took face offs depending on the zone, or to try and mix up the opponent, keeps the wingers alternating and makes the O harder to predict.

Obviously we are onto the next great NHL tactic :sarcasm:

Trae

Calgary
Based on the interview, it sounds like Iginla would be taking the faceoffs on the one side of the ice. That would be alright considering Iggy is pretty good on the dot. I don't think we'll see Backlund centering right off the bat as long as Cervenka is healthy, especially considering Backs has been playing wing all season. Here's my stab at it:

Cammalleri - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
Bartschi - Stajan - Backlund
Stempniak - Horak - Comeau
Bouma - Jones - Jackman

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Brodie
Butler - Sarich
Smith - Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Irving
Karlsson

Bartschi - Tanguay - Iginla
Glencross - Cammalleri - Hudler
Backlund - Cervenka - Horak
Stempniak - Stajan - Jackman

This would be my alternative if they kept Cammy at center as well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If Tanguay is playing center it could be trying to use the fact that Iggy and Glencross played real well together last year.

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Cammy-Cervenka-Hudler
Baertschi-Backlund-Comeau/Stempniak
Comeau/Jones/Aliu-Stajan-Jackman

It doesn't really leave a checking line so I would assume we would play first line vs first line and Iginla takes the defensive faceoffs.

or

Glencross - Cammy - Iginla
Baertschi - Tanguay - Hudler
Cervenka - Backlund - Comeau/Stemps

Again no real checking line but that second line could be really dangerous.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

We have the same problem with Cammy,Backlund,Horak, and potentially Cervenka so I guess they are trying to load up a line for Iginla and worry about the draws later.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well with Cervenka gone, this are the lines I would like for the forwards:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Baertschi-Backlund-Hudler
Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak
Jones-Horak-Comeau

Either that, or put Baertschi and Backlund on the 3rd line. I'd like those two together as it would bring an up-tempo to the game.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well with Cervenka gone, this are the lines I would like for the forwards:

Tanguay-Cammy-Iginla
Baertschi-Backlund-Hudler
Glencross-Stajan-Stempniak
Jones-Horak-Comeau

Either that, or put Baertschi and Backlund on the 3rd line. I'd like those two together as it would bring an up-tempo to the game.

Apparently he will be in camp and ready to go and Tangs is starting at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00