Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Quarantine day 4. No change. Still waiting on test results to come back, and even if they come back negative, we'll still keep the quarantine because there's A) nothing to do here and B) a whole lot of elderly people who are way more at risk in Prague city center and C) people don't seem to know how accurate the tests are.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Quarantine day 4. No change. Still waiting on test results to come back, and even if they come back negative, we'll still keep the quarantine because there's A) nothing to do here and B) a whole lot of elderly people who are way more at risk in Prague city center and C) people don't seem to know how accurate the tests are.
Fingers crossed for negative.

Man, the last week feels like a month has gone by.

Reactions: ColePens

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Weirdly, I'm not too worried, since it looks like we're both fairly symptom free so far, so if we do get it, it might be on the lighter side.

Anyhow, I try not to worry about things I have no or minimal control over.
Good to hear.

Yep, that's what I tell myself when I find I'm worrying too much. Stress is a killer in itself.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
It just seems so surreal. I feel terrible for the victims, especially those who have died prematurely because of this virus. I feel bad for people being laid off, ones who might lose businesses, etc.... I feel bad for healthcare workers who are exhausted and working long hours. Hell, people working at grocery stores are getting slammed and possibly exposed to the virus and it's often a thankless job. A delivery driver to my work on Monday said he was just happy to get out of Toronto. He and his wife went to the grocery store and saw two women fist fighting over the last of something.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I will on record say that I am way more afraid of mass unemployment, hyperinflation and increasing government power than this virus if this state of affairs continues past April. I’m hoping we get to just washing our hands and maybe avoiding large crowds by then.
Have you seen any credible source projecting that this will not be going well past April?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It just seems so surreal. I feel terrible for the victims, especially those who have died prematurely because of this virus. I feel bad for people being laid off, ones who might lose businesses, etc.... I feel bad for healthcare workers who are exhausted and working long hours. Hell, people working at grocery stores are getting slammed and possibly exposed to the virus and it's often a thankless job. A delivery driver to my work on Monday said he was just happy to get out of Toronto. He and his wife went to the grocery store and saw two women fist fighting over the last of something.
Oddly the way out of this is once enough people are infected, immunity will drive down the virus. All math really. Key is to flatten curve so the healthcare system isn't overrun. Again, math. We'll adapt to social isolation, we have no choice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Granted.
However, I think that you sell younger generations short. I have been around for quite a while but can't remember a time like this.
Let us hope for the best, but if this indeed does go on for months and we do have losses in the numbers that are being predicted don't sell this generation short. I think that they will surprise you with similar resolve and resilience.

I want to agree with you, but what evidence is there that would be the case?

All we have seen from so many right now is selfish behavior, and I’m talking about generation X Y and Z.

My uncle is 55 and he doesn’t want to “live in a bubble” and stop going to the gym...

Some dumb ass 30 year old wants to take her time eating at Red Robin because “it’s her right”, yet completely misses the irony what my grandfather’s generation sacrificed for her freedom to be an idiot.

I’ve read countless stories of people exposed to Covid-19 going out in public anyway...

People want to have their spring break and St. Pats days celebrations at bars, and on and on.... me, me, me.

It’s impossible to find basics right now like toilet paper and meats because people are out for themselves and me, me, me.

Buy what you need, leave the rest for your fellow humans... how hard is that... to think of others? I’m self-quarantined with my family because I want to keep elderly safe and people like Big...

This isn’t about me, me,me.

My grandfathers generation endured the Great Depression and then right off that misery, went to fight Nazis....

This is many generations big crisis and it’s been absolutely pathetic how they don’t get it.

It’s just frustrating as f*** man...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yet we have people whining about sitting home and not being allowed to eat at a restaurant, go to the beach, watch sports, etc. for a few weeks or longer.

Whining about that stuff is pathetic.

Wondering whether our society's collective immune response is going to collapse our world economy and cause runaway inflation is decidedly not.

We'll see. If we're on the other side in a couple months and a vaccine is fast on the way, that'd be awesome.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Whining about that stuff is pathetic.

Wondering whether our society's collective immune response is going to collapse our world economy and cause runaway inflation is decidedly not.

We'll see. If we're on the other side in a couple months and a vaccine is fast on the way, that'd be awesome.

Going to the gym, hoarding food and supplies, doing spring break, not adhering to social distancing like we are being begged to do by the experts - that’s selfish behavior that has nothing to do with worrying about the economy.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Going to the gym, hoarding food and supplies, doing spring break, not adhering to social distancing like we are being begged to do by the experts - that’s selfish behavior that has nothing to do with worrying about the economy.

And those will be the vectors that will f*** up the efforts/sacrifices by the rest of us. It's just selfish. Which isn't really shocking to be honest.

It's not just the isolated reports you see on tv either. That behavior is everywhere. I saw 3 bars last night that were packed to the rafters while driving (less than 3 miles btw) to check on family. Those will eventually get shutdown by order, but some damage has already been done.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Yes. There's 2 camps.

Some people aren't doing the distancing period.

Many others are out of a job for months with no guarantee of it coming back. There's a google doc in which thousands of Pittsburgh hospitality workers are sharing their individual venmo accounts because they are newly unemployed from this. Or worried about those people AS WELL as the elderly and immuno-compromised.

As far as hoarding...it's selfish and I won't do it, but I get it. If we're going towards a true 100% lockdown in which people can't leave their homes and the government is delivering essentials - do you trust the government to get it right? Also they could be hoarding now knowing that if they go to the grocery store in 2-3 weeks they have a far higher chance of catching it. Which would be correct.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yes. There's 2 camps.

Many others are out of a job for months with no guarantee of it coming back. There's a google doc in which thousands of Pittsburgh hospitality workers are sharing their individual venmo accounts because they are newly unemployed from this. Or worried about those people AS WELL as the elderly and immuno-compromised.

As far as hoarding...it's selfish and I won't do it, but I get it. If we're going towards a true 100% lockdown in which people can't leave their homes and the government is delivering essentials - do you trust the government to get it right? Also they could be hoarding now knowing that if they go to the grocery store in 2-3 weeks they have a far higher chance of catching it. Which would be correct.

Agree on the first 2. The last, even the "lockdown" scenarios allow personal travel to get essentials, and essentials is defined pretty broadly. I haven't seen anything planned remotely close to "thou shall not venture out period", even in Italy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yes. There's 2 camps.

People don’t want to give up their freedoms that came through great sacrifice, by paying those sacrifices forward.

That’s basically what it boils down to.

Hoarding stuff so your fellow man can’t get his own supplies is selfish behavior, there is no way around it.

I just saw a video of an 84 year old woman who can’t get her necessities because the shelves in her area are all empty.

I’m sure you can guess her reaction.

And those will be the vectors that will f*** up the efforts/sacrifices by the rest of us. It's just selfish. Which isn't really shocking to be honest.

It's not just the isolated reports you see on tv either. That behavior is everywhere. I saw 3 bars last night that were packed to the rafters while driving (less than 3 miles btw) to check on family. Those will eventually get shutdown by order, but some damage has already been done.

Because these fools think they are young and healthy so they will be ok - they don’t get it or don’t care that we are trying to protect the vulnerable because those of us with strong immune systems can be super carriers.

Me, me, me.

Reactions: Factorial

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I believe the fashionable term was "economic anxiety" a few years ago.

Reactions: Pens1566

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
And it just made me sad to hear people being ripped on for jogging/rollerblading down a pier.

Really, in this situation that's what makes you sad?

What makes me sad is grandma coming into the ER , barely able to breathe, and told she is on the waiting list for a ventilator. With 100 other people on that list.

Stop being so selfish with people's lives.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
People don’t want to give up their freedoms that came through great sacrifice, by paying those sacrifices forward.

That’s basically what it boils down to.

Hoarding stuff so your fellow man can’t get his own supplies is selfish behavior, there is no way around it.

I just saw a video of an 84 year old woman who can’t get her necessities because the shelves in her area are all empty.

I’m sure you can guess her reaction.

Because these fools think they are young and healthy so they will be ok - they don’t get it or don’t care that we are trying to protect the vulnerable because those of us with strong immune systems can be super carriers.

Me, me, me.

Yep. And they think they're not going to get sick. News flash, they're just less likely to die or have severe symptoms. There's 20 and 30 year olds in NY and CA ICUs right now that probably thought the same way 2 weeks ago. YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE SO QUIT BEING A SELFISH ASSHOLE!!!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, has it ever been established that it's frowned upon to do things like go for a jog or going for a bike ride? I wasn't aware that was viewed negatively. I know going in large gatherings is a big problem, but I don't see anything wrong with biking.

If/when the USA gets put under a 2 week quarantine, I would hope that I'm still able to go on a few bike rides a week. I'm pretty sure that's what Italy allows.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Really, in this situation that's what makes you sad?

What makes me sad is grandma coming into the ER , barely able to breathe, and told she is on the waiting list for a ventilator. With 100 other people on that list.

Stop being so selfish with people's lives.

I'm not rollerblading down any piers. Chill out. I'm not leaving my house for the next week aside from getting groceries once. I might jump rope in my backyard again. Maybe I'll drive over to my parents for dinner. I dunno.

But you are profoundly ignorant of human nature if you think our collective patience for this is unlimited. There's life and there's living. There has been no exit plan established or even timelines given. I understand why! Really, I do. But the longer this goes on and the more people lose their jobs...the more the juice v. the squeeze question is going to be asked. At some point it can't just be the doctors, who know NOTHING about economic uncertainty, calling the shots.

Stay safe, man.

Reactions: Sideline

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also, has it ever been established that it's frowned upon to do things like go for a jog or going for a bike ride? I wasn't aware that was viewed negatively. I know going in large gatherings is a big problem, but I don't see anything wrong with biking.

If/when the USA gets put under a 2 week quarantine, I would hope that I'm still able to go on a few bike rides a week. I'm pretty sure that's what Italy allows.

I dunno. The thing is airborne now supposedly.

The "didn't ya know you weren't supposed to do that" quotient is changing literally daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad