Redden

Captain Mittens*

I'll give you Randy, but I have always assumed that Robby V was signed for Manchester (since it was their first year in existence) and he started the club on the roster because of injuries

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They aren't necesaarily over. Remember the last actual real off-season we had we netted Ethan Moreau and Trent Hunter.

That's true. I think many were befuddled to see their names at training camp, let alone having them signed. Don't know what Lombardi was thinking there or if someone within the organization urged him to get them signed. If they were signed as minor league vets, sure, why not, no harm in that. But bringing them to the Kings served zero purpose.

From recent years, I'd chalk up Scott Thornton and Kyle Calder as dumpster diving signings. These names make me further appreciate players like Trevor Lewis, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan and Kyle Clifford. Young, hungry players who were all homegrown talent.

Just say no to Dumpster Diving.

Captain Mittens*

That's true. I think many were befuddled to see their names at training camp, let alone having them signed. Don't know what Lombardi was thinking there or if someone within the organization urged him to get them signed. If they were signed as minor league vets, sure, why not, no harm in that. But bringing them to the Kings served zero purpose.

From recent years, I'd chalk up Scott Thornton and Kyle Calder as dumpster diving signings. These names make me further appreciate players like Trevor Lewis, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan and Kyle Clifford. Young, hungry players who were all homegrown talent.

Just say no to Dumpster Diving.

I am going to disagree again on Scott Thornton.

Remember the quote when Lombardi got hired it was something along the lines of " I want to know what happened to this team last year" (Remember the 05-06 team was in first place in the Pacific and slowly sputtered all the way out of the playoffs)

I think Thornton (and later Handzus) was brought in to change the losing attitude of the team. To bring in a good guy in the room with a strong work ethic (Same reason btw Demitra was traded)

I also think that is one of the reasons why Thornton beat's Avery's ass on the locker room one day

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
I have always wanted to know the real story behind Avery and Thornton altercation. I know it left Thornton with a sprained/broken wrist.

First thing we heard is was just players horsing around....

Then it came out that Thornton did punch Avery in the back after Avery kicked a medicine ball at him or someone. I don't buy this because...well, it's not really possible to kick a medicine ball at someone.

The story just kind of faded after that.

Captain Mittens*

I have always wanted to know the real story behind Avery and Thornton altercation. I know it left Thornton with a sprained/broken wrist.

Then it came out that Thornton did punch Avery in the back after Avery kicked a medicine ball at him or someone. I don't buy this because...well, it's not really possible to kick a medicine ball at someone.

What started as a playful altercation between the Kings' Scott Thornton and Sean Avery ended with Thornton suffering a broken left wrist on Dec. 29, sources close to the team said.

The two were "horsing around" when Avery kicked a workout ball at Thornton, who then punched Avery in the back, resulting in the injury. Thornton is out at least another week with the injury.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/11/sports/sp-kingrep11

It's also not possible to break your wrist punching someone in the back.......

Much more happened than what was reported, that much is obvious

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I had heard that Avery made some ******** comment about Dustin Brown's speech impediment and Thornton jumped in to defend the kid.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, Scott Thornton would have been an asset to the team if we hadn't sucked so awfully.

I wish Zeus had won the cup with us.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I had heard that Avery made some ******** comment about Dustin Brown's speech impediment and Thornton jumped in to defend the kid.

That goes along with what I had heard. The only thing I could add is that I also heard that Thornton left a big lump on Avery's head (above forehead) that sat him down when it happened.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
To bad it didn't knock any sense into him. That may actually be where that twit lost the last screw in his head.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
To bad it didn't knock any sense into him. That may actually be where that twit lost the last screw in his head.

He could have had a good, long NHL career if his head was right. He took the pest thing on and off the ice, in the locker room and pretty much anywhere he could sabotage his own career.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If Mitchelle is out long term and no one steps up to fill his void, and redden is still available in a month from now, I would take a gamble on him.
I honestly think he will get signed before then though. I could see him going backto Ottawa. They need D.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Redden struggled with the rags until they demoted him. I have seen him play (awhile ago) down on the farm and he looked truly awful. Slow, no shot and a true pilon. I would pass on him entirely. He had skill at one point but he is one of the worst former NHLer's I have seen play. Too many other options out there. I get the idea but he really looked terrible and I mean RJ terrible.
He hasn't even played well in the AHL for the past 3 years, he's supposed to be useful in the NHL?
I was going to suggest we give him a shot, but if TG says he sucks that bad, I pass. TG's pretty bang on with this stuff.

THIS ^^^ ... PASS ! agreed he's not even good enough for the AHL anymore let alone the NHL and a CUP DEFFENDING TEAM no less :nod: ... like was said TG says NO ... I SAY NO ! it's NO !

I'd rather see them bring Blake back from retirement than sign Redden.

OH ... you're going a bit too far there now fellow ! :sarcasm: Booooooooooooo ! Booooooooo ! Booooooo this man ! :rant:

I'd rather see them bring MODRY back :naughty: :sarcasm:

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
wow....oh how mighty DET has fallen

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Reports have Red Wings interested in Wade Redden. "From Lidstrom To Redden" could be the world's next horror movie phenomenon.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
wow....oh how mighty DET has fallen

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Reports have Red Wings interested in Wade Redden. "From Lidstrom To Redden" could be the world's next horror movie phenomenon.

If anyone has success with reclamation projects it's Detroit. See Dan Cleary and Mikael Samuelsson. They also somehow turned Brett Lebda into a functional defenseman for about four years, not mention what they did for Andreas lilja's career. That guy should have been years ago.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Bob McKenzie

Multiple teams considering options on both. LA, STL, TOR, FLA among those kicking tires on Redden

Noooooooooooooo.

*clears throat*

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bob McKenzie

Noooooooooooooo.

*clears throat*

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

If it's for a low cap hit, and for depth purposes, I don't see a huge problem. Redden's biggest issue was getting paid too much money and taking up too much space.

Especially since the Kings lost Hickey, who likely would have been called up if there's an injury to Doughty, Martinez, or Voynov, there's not really an NHL ready offensive defenseman in case there's an injury.

Again, I'm not exactly advocating Redden in particular, but I think it's silly to rule out a cheap signing for depth purposes because of a reputation (not even because of an attitude). After all, I remember a couple Kings players who had a reputation of being cancerous party boys who did just fine last year.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
But contract aside, some Rangers fans were saying Redden hasn't played well in the AHL, either.

edit: Then again, they may just be bitter about the whole situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad