Helene St. James Red Wings Won't Give Qualifying Offer to Martin Frk

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I mean, they have three spots open and are pretty thin on young NHL ready forwards outside of maybe Rasmussen and Svechnikov. Grabbing a one year place holder that can be flipped for a draft pick if they don't make the playoffs isn't blocking anyone, especially when you consider most of the forwards under contract or RFA's are going to be regulars, which means at least one of the young guys is going to be sitting regularly in the Cleary Cabana with Witkowski.
I'm counting 12 forwards with Ras and Svech. If we were to trade Nyquist, I wouldn't mind Vanek at all.

Reactions: lilidk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm making an educated speculation based on previous events.
Of him being withheld at the TDL rather than traded? You mean something that didn't happen?

Or was Tyler Motte was a shitty return to you?

I'm sure if Vanek had .6-.75 PPG he wouldn't have ZERO value at the deadline.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Of him being withheld at the TDL rather than traded? You mean something that didn't happen?

Or was Tyler Motte was a ****ty return to you?

I'm sure if Vanek had .6-.75 PPG he wouldn't have ZERO value at the deadline.
Holland has already proven he can't get anything of worth for Vanek at the deadline.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm counting 12 forwards with Ras and Svech. If we were to trade Nyquist, I wouldn't mind Vanek at all.

I count 13 with those 2 included. Did you count Witkowski? He's still likely the spare part forward that sits in the press box most nights. If not him, it'll likely be some other fringe forward. They aren't going to give a kid a roster spot just so they can sit in the press box. And no, they aren't going to sit Glendenning/Helm/Abdelkader/etc. in the press box to put a kid in the line-up either.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I count 13 with those 2 included. Did you count Witkowski? He's still likely the spare part forward that sits in the press box most nights. If not him, it'll likely be some other fringe forward. They aren't going to give a kid a roster spot just so they can sit in the press box. And no, they aren't going to sit Glendenning/Helm/Abdelkader/etc. in the press box to put a kid in the line-up either.
i did not. so thats 13 forwards. that doesn't look like theres much room for Vanek if we want to play the kids (my whole argument) and I agree, theres no reason to keep a kid in the pressbox. thats why Im not for bringing in Vanek.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
i did not. so thats 13 forwards. that doesn't look like theres much room for Vanek if we want to play the kids (my whole argument) and I agree, theres no reason to keep a kid in the pressbox. thats why Im not for bringing in Vanek.

They can also go to Grand Rapids, where they'll get plenty of ice time?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, Frk really didn't have a spot going forward.

Barring a trade or two, Larkin, Mantha, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, AA, Abdelkader, Helm, Nielsen and Glendening are probably all everyday players when everyone's healthy. That leaves two regular spots open. Seems like one is a lock for Rasmussen, as they likely wouldn't keep him on the roster to be a healthy scratch. The other is probably for a UFA or Svechnikov, both of whom would also likely be regulars. Frk would've been sitting in the press box with Witkowski on most nights.

He didn't really produce enough at 5v5 to challenge for a spot in the top 9, and he isn't exactly the type you'd want on the 4th line. On top of that, his one ability on the PP got stale when the league figured it out about a month and a half in and he just kept doing the same thing.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
But you can get another kid with that pick too...
with that pick, its highly unlikely. AA would be the exception. The team talks about putting people in seats and a reason to watch the team. For me, its to see the new young guys and see how it goes.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If we don't bring back Vanek this likely means there's a spot for Svechnikov or Turgeon to compete for.

I wouldn't be too sure... I'll bet good money that if Holland strikes out on Kovalchuk or Vanek, he's got a couple more guys on his list he'll take swings at...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Sad to see him go, but the second half of the season, plus the Svechnikov, Rasmussen and Turgeon knocking on the NHL door kind of solidified his exit.

He scored some terrific goals, though. I'll always have the memories. :laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
with that pick, its highly unlikely. AA would be the exception. The team talks about putting people in seats and a reason to watch the team. For me, its to see the new young guys and see how it goes.
:laugh:
Wow, AA is hardly the exception.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm not sure what you mean. AA was drafted 110, meaning he is an exception to what I said about 3rd rounders (AA was a 4th rounder) turning into anything.
Nyquist was 121

And I'm saying, AA is far from the exception. It's not something you expect, but acting like the 71 is worthless is extremely disingenuous.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Nyquist was 121

And I'm saying, AA is far from the exception. It's not something you expect, but acting like the 71 is worthless is extremely disingenuous.
I think AA has turned out better than most 4th rounders. apparently you don't. we have different opinions on that. I would rather play a kid over Vanek and whatever his return would be at the TDL. You don't. lets just agree to disagree. Besides, this is a Frk thread anyways.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I think AA has turned out better than most 4th rounders. apparently you don't. we have different opinions on that. I would rather play a kid over Vanek and whatever his return would be at the TDL. You don't. lets just agree to disagree. Besides, this is a Frk thread anyways.
Not at all what I was implying

Have a nice day :thumbu:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Were you trying to say that AA was hardly the only exception? thats the only thing I can think of that makes sense.
That's what AA is hardly the exception would mean.

Impact players can be found in the 3rd round. Some recent ones would be Brayden Point, Shayne Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko etc.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That's what AA is hardly the exception would mean.

Impact players can be found in the 3rd round. Some recent ones would be Brayden Point, Shayne Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko etc.
When I said AA was the exception, I was talking about 3rd rounders amounting to nothing, hence AA being the exception to that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When I said AA was the exception, I was talking about 3rd rounders amounting to nothing, hence AA being the exception to that.
Might wanna bone up on the word exception, I just gave you 3 guys from 2 drafts without thinking.

This all comes from you saying a 71 was basically worthless.

EDIT: and funny enough 2 of those guys came in AA's draft.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Might wanna bone up on the word exception, I just gave you 3 guys from 2 drafts without thinking.

This all comes from you saying a 71 was basically worthless.

EDIT: and funny enough 2 of those guys came in AA's draft.
ahhhh I see where you are getting at. You see, when something is the exception, its a person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule. In this case, the rule being that 3rd round picks amount to nothing. Why do I say that? Well because its the majority. There are far more 3rd round picks that amount to nothing than there are that do. I then list AA as an exception to that rule. Players like AA, and the ones you mentioned, is not the majority. They are the exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad