Helene St. James Red Wings Won't Give Qualifying Offer to Martin Frk

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Might wanna bone up on the word exception, I just gave you 3 guys from 2 drafts without thinking.

This all comes from you saying a 71 was basically worthless.

EDIT: and funny enough 2 of those guys came in AA's draft.
Since 2005, less than 5% of the players drafted in the 3rd round became impact players.

Point, Guentzel, Gostisbehere, Parayko, Trochceck, Barrie, Henrique, Dadonov, Marchand, Letang, Bishop.

You can include Pesce, Killorn and Mason if you want. That'd be about 14/300 or so.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
ahhhh I see where you are getting at. You see, when something is the exception, its a person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule. In this case, the rule being that 3rd round picks amount to nothing. Why do I say that? Well because its the majority. There are far more 3rd round picks that amount to nothing than there are that do. I then list AA as an exception to that rule. Players like AA, and the ones you mentioned, is not the majority. They are the exceptions.
2012 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

Lindell
Korpisalo
Ghost
Parayko
Pelech
Khaira
Vesey (did not sign)
Sundqvist (different team)
Matt Murray
Freddy Andersen
Leipisic

All spent a majority of the time with their NHL club last season, all 3rd rounders in the 2012 NHL draft.

Since 2005, less than 5% of the players drafted in the 3rd round became impact players.

Point, Guentzel, Gostisbehere, Parayko, Trochceck, Barrie, Henrique, Dadonov, Marchand, Letang, Bishop.

You can include Pesce, Killorn and Mason if you want. That'd be about 14/300 or so.
That's great,I'm not arguing that it should be expected. I'm arguing that the 71 overall pick isn't worthless and that it happens more often than you'd think.

14/300? okay

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think this is more a favor to Frk than anything. His opportunities here are clearly limited with the guys coming up and the guys still signed. Even if he stayed on the 23 man roster he was going to have a hard time getting on the ice with an increasingly competitive forward corps. This gives him a chance to go out and see if he can find a place where he could fit a bit better. And if not, I'm sure Holland would bring the guy back with the promise to compete for a spot, which is all he was going to get anyway.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This board:
”Ugh Holland couldn’t even get a 7th round pick out of [waived player]! Anything is better than nothing.”

Also this board:
”A 3rd round pick is nothing”

Also this board:

“I’ll only want Mike Green back on a one-year deal.”

*Ken holland rumored to consider one-year deal offer for Mike Green.*

“Why is Holland brining back *any* vets at all? They should just play Nick Jensen 20 minutes a game.”

Reactions: ShelbyZ

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Vanek is the typical Ken Holland, "Mentor the kids" signing...

How many mentors does this team need? HE-double hockey sticks! You might as well have the top 6 forwards be allocated as mentors for the bottom 6 and each veteran d-man has a pup d-man to tag-along in his shadow. Oh, and don't forget a mini-me Howie as a back-up goalie.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Fun fact: Every good player taken AFTER the 3rd round also could have been a 3rd round pick. It's up to scouts to identify those good players with "5th round grades" and get them.

So I don't know why anyone would be focused so closely on ONLY 3rd round players

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I wouldn't go out of my way to get him, I'm just okay with Holland giving him a fair 1 year deal if that's his jam. I'd prefer Svechnikov to come up but I understand he had a bad season and could use another year.

Svech will have every opportunity to make the team. I doubt he goes back to GR. They have to see what the kid can do.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So I don't know why anyone would be focused so closely on ONLY 3rd round players

Agreed, we should highlight that it's even more of a crapshoot due to the multitude of players taken after the 3rd who never turn into anything. After all, anyone taken after the 3rd could've been taken in the 3rd, not just the good players.

I'd rather have a 3rd round pick than not have one, and I like getting them for "free", but come on. Let's not try to artificially pump up the value based on utterly specious, silly reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad