GDT: Red Wings @ Wild | 4/4/15 | 6PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Prosser was FANTASTIC for us before he got hurt. And this is coming from someone that has been very anti-Prosser.

And I'm pretty sure the 5 on 3 was not 1:45.

He had his moments of giving up giveaways this game. And he has zero business being on the ice when Folin should be out there instead of him as a callup.

And they were on the PP before that 5 on 3 for just shy of half a minute. Yeo called a time out and kept them on the ice for very close to another minute before Detroit finally cleared it.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
That was a very uninspiring game.

I get it, we're going to lose some, it's how we've lost the last two that is a little troublesome. Plus the playoffs are right around the corner and we are not on our "A" game right now - they better figure their **** out and fast.

And that PP. Ah the memories it brings back... None are good for the last four years either.

You're only as strong as your weakest link. Well, it's a pretty glaring deficiency of ours, has already been a substantial reason why we have been knocked out of the playoffs before, and does not appear to be improving at all. The goal we scored was luck, not because we have a competent PP.

It's too late to figure it out this year, but I swear if they do not make significant improvement on it next year...

Exactly how many times have we scored on a 5v3 this year?
I think Reid or Kurtz said we've scored 2 times on the two man adv. Detroit has only given up 3 goals down two men

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They also have a 16-4-0 record vs the Central division this year, and the Wild have always struggled to score against them... including during this hot streak.

Except for that one time we scored 4 goals on them...and had crappy goaltending so we gave up 5. I am not seriously worried about any team in the West. We have the depth and the momentum going forward.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Except for that one time we scored 4 goals on them...and had crappy goaltending so we gave up 5. I am not seriously worried about any team in the West. We have the depth and the momentum going forward.
I agree, im not overly concerned about the first round match up. Just wanna make the playoffs healthy and playing well

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'd rather have Leo in there over Prosser anyday.

I'd rather have Prosser get some playing time because of the way he was playing before he got hurt. Gotta at least give him an opportunity to earn his spot back in the lineup. Leo has not been that great for us. Serviceable #6 guy.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He had his moments of giving up giveaways this game. And he has zero business being on the ice when Folin should be out there instead of him as a callup.

And they were on the PP before that 5 on 3 for just shy of half a minute. Yeo called a time out and kept them on the ice for very close to another minute before Detroit finally cleared it.

He still deserved a chance to earn his spot back. Yeo doesn't want Folin and Dumba on the same pair playing on their off-wings.

They were on that PP for 1:15 seconds. The 5 on 3 lasted for 45 seconds.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
For the two periods it looked like the team had lost its mojo. But the 3rd was good and OT was very intense. An entertaining shootout but it's still dice-playing.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

What we should be worried is that we have lost two extremely important games in a row with a team that looked like champions just a week ago.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Did you expect us to win every game until the end of the season? :laugh:

Team is gonna lose games and having it by 1 goal against the best team in the East and a pedigree franchise is nothing I'm alarmed about. But those types of games will be common come playoff time.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
That was a very uninspiring game.

I get it, we're going to lose some, it's how we've lost the last two that is a little troublesome. Plus the playoffs are right around the corner and we are not on our "A" game right now - they better figure their **** out and fast.

And that PP. Ah the memories it brings back... None are good for the last four years either.

You're only as strong as your weakest link. Well, it's a pretty glaring deficiency of ours, has already been a substantial reason why we have been knocked out of the playoffs before, and does not appear to be improving at all. The goal we scored was luck, not because we have a competent PP.

It's too late to figure it out this year, but I swear if they do not make significant improvement on it next year...

Exactly how many times have we scored on a 5v3 this year?
Parise scores goals like that all the time so I have hard time seeing how that is luck.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Back to playing selfish uninspired hockey in the last two games. No way that should have gone to OT . AND...it is so painful watching our d trying to leave the zone under pressure .Granny does not belong on the pp (I know he got a pt on a pass any Div 1 center would have made)

Last edited:

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Parise scores goals like that all the time so I have hard time seeing how that is luck.

I'm talking about the PP and how effective it looks. Not Parise being in the right place, which he was, then the guys finally getting the puck I the right area with Detroit having a little breakdown in coverage, followed by the goalie moving and Parise getting a very fortunate tip.

Given our placement of the PP out of all the other teams, I have a valid point.

You watch some teams PP and even if they do not score, they still have a very competent and dangerous PP. We, do not. Our PP advertises what it is going to do on a constant level and rarely makes plays that draws the opposition out of their placement.

Or do you want to dispute that our PP, frankly sucks.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

This is not the point anyone is bringing up.

It's that we have not played complete games these last two games and do not look like that energized, desperate, and skilled team that won all those games in a row.

The last two games have been far too sloppy with the playoffs right around the corner. We need to clean that up asap.

If we played a great game and lost, that's one thing - we haven't.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i sure hope were saving something rather than running outta gas. dubnyk had 3 monster saves last night. the wings looked faster than we did which kinda worries me.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yes they should have, but above all else, Dub's feeling it. He kept us in that shootout and looked more confident in net the whole game. We got this

I'm a little worried about what happens if/when we don't have Dubnyk. Could be playoff time; could be next year. He's not a robot, and is susceptible to injury. I feel like everything rides on him, and if he's out? Our team's confidence goes out the window.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This is not the point anyone is bringing up.

It's that we have not played complete games these last two games and do not look like that energized, desperate, and skilled team that won all those games in a row.

The last two games have been far too sloppy with the playoffs right around the corner. We need to clean that up asap.

If we played a great game and lost, that's one thing - we haven't.

Minnesota sports fans...

We're not going to play a great game every night, coming off a four day break, we stuck with the best team in the East and we lost in a skills competition vs. The Wings who are also battling for a playoff spot. People just need to quit acting like we're going to be at 100% for every second every game.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
This ********* powerplay is going to lose us a series. sad but it will be true. Teams have no reason not to beat the hell out of us if we can't make them pay.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This ********* powerplay is going to lose us a series. sad but it will be true. Teams have no reason not to beat the hell out of us if we can't make them pay.

We're a great 5 v 5 team and our PK is best in the league, if our special teams is a wash, we'll be fine. Plenty of teams have had bad PPs and went on to win the Stanley Cup. In fact, I think many of them had bad PPs and great PKs.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Here's the solution to the powerplay: drop it completely.

Just roll regular lines 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 and let them take advantage of more open ice to be more effective. Obviously this coaching staff can't construct a decent power play to save its life so just stop treating it like a special team and roll normal lines and pairings.

J22*

Anybody who doesn't know what positions Folin and Prosser are playing, has zero business complaining about the lineup.

I thought they were alright last night considering they lost koivu at the last minute. This team has a lot of depth, but they're still going to struggle if they have to play without any one of Parise, Koivu, Suter or Dubnyk.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
Here's the solution to the powerplay: drop it completely.

Just roll regular lines 5 on 4 and 5 on 3 and let them take advantage of more open ice to be more effective. Obviously this coaching staff can't construct a decent power play to save its life so just stop treating it like a special team and roll normal lines and pairings.

That's what has come to my mind during the season quite often after watching the PP fail over and over. Why do coaches and players have to over think man advantages just because their's one less opponent out there? Players have chemistry with their regular lines, so why jumble it all up and throw them all on one unit for a PP. What interesting for the top PP unit, is only Poms and Parise play on the same line during five on five, than mix in Koivu from his own line, Vanek off line 3, and Suter off D line 1. Same with unit #2, it's just a mess of players thrown in a blender and their supposed to develop chemistry and accomplish something in 25 seconds. Just treat it like a 5 on 5 situation and keep it simple. Get hard shots at the net, crash the rebounds, odds are one of your 5 guys will find it before 4 defenders can. Remember verse the Kings towards the end of the game, Yeo tossed out Koivu, Stewart, and Nino along with Suter and Brodin, and they scored a PP goal because they had chemistry and knew what the other guys were gonna do because they play with each other all game, every game.

And Yeo has tinkered with swapping players lately on the top unit, like Vanek out, and/or Dumba/Spurgeon on the point and Pom down low. It's been terrible no matter what, but one thing has stayed the same, and that Suter playing the point. Opponents don't even have to defend Suter, as they can just cover the other 4 guys, because his shot is pathetic and nobody respects it. He says he does wristers to aim better for openings and deflections, but when the puck is shot so god damn slow and it hits a body part or stick, it just drops dead because their is no steam behind the puck at all. Suter gets all the PP time, and plays thirty minutes a night, and has two freaking goals, that tells you how bad of a shot he is. Find someone with a bomb of a shot (Scandella) to unleash some havoc in the front of the net.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
And Yeo has tinkered with swapping players lately on the top unit, like Vanek out, and/or Dumba/Spurgeon on the point and Pom down low. It's been terrible no matter what, but one thing has stayed the same, and that Suter playing the point. Opponents don't even have to defend Suter, as they can just cover the other 4 guys, because his shot is pathetic and nobody respects it. He says he does wristers to aim better for openings and deflections, but when the puck is shot so god damn slow and it hits a body part or stick, it just drops dead because their is no steam behind the puck at all. Suter gets all the PP time, and plays thirty minutes a night, and has two freaking goals, that tells you how bad of a shot he is. Find someone with a bomb of a shot (Scandella) to unleash some havoc in the front of the net.

Yup, I've said it before too. Suter is the Problem. Point men running the PP have to be able to take one timers and be a threat to score. He just isn't an offensive defenseman. Can't shoot worth ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad