GDT: Red Wings @ Sharks - 10:30 PM EST - FSD

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Dang...4 points already for Hirose. Get some more solid drafts over the next couple of years and don't screw up the Seattle expansion draft and we should be golden. Hopefully we can stockpile some defencemen as well.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone else not as upset about the lottery odds going down with these wins based on the play of of younger players.. I am really liking our chances in a few years if players like Larkin, AA and company keep it up. Hirose looks like a gem too. Hopefully we lose some 5-4 and 6-5 games coming up and our young guys keep playing well :laugh:

This is exactly it. I know how big it would be to draft Hughes or Kakko for the rebuild, but the importance of Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Mantha, Larkin, Hronek, etc. continuing on a development curve and not plateauing is more important than one player could ever hope to be. All of these players are in our back pocket already. They already have a role in the rebuild, and their collective success can shorten the rebuild, but one of them plateauing will likely extend it.

If I can have signs of guaranteed higher level production from our current players and it means instead of taking special prospect Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko, I have to select really f***ing good prospect Alex Turcotte or Bowen Byram or Dylan Cozens or Trevor Zegras, then so be it.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Bless their hearts, these kids are awesome! Anybody wishing them loss needs a heart transplant.
They lack poise with the puck, you can see it bouncing off their sticks and such. But there's no denying they play a hard, fast game. Maybe it's just nerves. If they can settle it down and handle the puck like anyone at that level should be able to, they'll be good players. Frankly I already like them better than Abby. They forecheck and grind harder from the tiny sample we've seen. Though that may just be them trying to prove themselves and it disappears as soon as they've got a spot locked down....

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Anyone else not as upset about the lottery odds going down with these wins based on the play of of younger players.. I am really liking our chances in a few years if players like Larkin, AA and company keep it up. Hirose looks like a gem too. Hopefully we lose some 5-4 and 6-5 games coming up and our young guys keep playing well :laugh:
I couldn't care less right now about our lottery odds. f*** losing, I love winning! Especially against the best teams in the league...

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I mean the silver lining here is that the Kings have won 3 in a row, and the Devils have won back to back games as well. So even though we've won a bit here, we haven't really hurt our lottery odds too much. Personally, I still prefer losses right now, but that's just my mindset. I completely understand the other side of the argument, where people want the Wings to win no matter what, but the reality is that we will win more in the future if we lose a few more games this year down the stretch. I am by no means "cheering against us", but at the same time, I understand the process.

That's just my train of thought, but to each their own!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There were 2 reasons why they wan 1.Very good defensive game
2.Season is over , we are in preseason right now

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There were 2 reasons why they wan 1.Very good defensive game
2.Season is over , we are in preseason right now
It is almost like preseason for the Wings but the team is playing against teams that are fighting for playoff position. It's not like LV or SJS dressed up a bunch of AHL players.

Reactions: Sentinel

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Nope, I'm "basically" saying I like it when my team wins.
Having better players will equal more wins in the long run. Not meaningless wins that only hurt the long term. Gummie bears taste better than broccoli too, should we have those for dinner instead too?:laugh:

Reactions: Flowah

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You are basically saying "I rather have $20 right now than $100 next month":help:

That's an awfully reductive argument.

Even if the Wings were to win out (which they won't), I don't see them going any lower than 5th worst. Even if they had the worst lottery luck ever, the worst they can absolutely fall in this case would be 8th OA. Which means that they get a guy like Cozens, Byram, etc. So no, it's not like $20 now vs. $100 later. It's more like $5 now (because a win doesn't mean a whole lot) and a scratchy lottery ticket worth 35-75 vs nothing now and a scratchy lottery with a couple of percentage points better at getting 50-100.

There is a hell of a lot of overlap between the two outcomes.

Believe me, I get wanting the extra little boost to the chance... but the highest likelihood is still that we land 2nd worst to 5th worst regardless of what anyone else does.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's an awfully reductive argument.

Even if the Wings were to win out (which they won't), I don't see them going any lower than 5th worst. Even if they had the worst lottery luck ever, the worst they can absolutely fall in this case would be 8th OA. Which means that they get a guy like Cozens, Byram, etc. So no, it's not like $20 now vs. $100 later. It's more like $5 now (because a win doesn't mean a whole lot) and a scratchy lottery ticket worth 35-75 vs nothing now and a scratchy lottery with a couple of percentage points better at getting 50-100.

There is a hell of a lot of overlap between the two outcomes.

Believe me, I get wanting the extra little boost to the chance... but the highest likelihood is still that we land 2nd worst to 5th worst regardless of what anyone else does.
.....I thought I was blocked? WB:laugh::sarcasm:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Having better players will equal more wins in the long run. Not meaningless wins that only hurt the long term. Gummie bears taste better than broccoli too, should we have those for dinner instead too?:laugh:
Yes I know and the quality of players is always strictly determined by draft order and draft order is strictly determined by us losing games because the lottery doesn't exist, and no team has ever won anything without winning the lottery and getting the 1oa pick 3 years in a row.

I'm going to enjoy each and every single win, and you're going to f*** off about it and fandom your own way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've said it before, but we don't want these kids to learn to coast or give up on a season. Going out, working hard, and competing is what we want to see. If they win, they win. If they lose, they lose. But if we have a bunch of guys willing to just give up and write off a season, we have a bunch of guys we can't build around anyway.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've said it before, but we don't want these kids to learn to coast or give up on a season. Going out, working hard, and competing is what we want to see. If they win, they win. If they lose, they lose. But if we have a bunch of guys willing to just give up and write off a season, we have a bunch of guys we can't build around anyway.
It's ironic that the same people who complain about Mantha and AA's compete level want the team to tank. Don't mind them, they're probably not watching the games. The SJS game was one of the most entertaining Wings game in a while. I'm not going to watch guys like Vanek and Abby play. I'd rather watch dog poop dry out in the sun while eating broccoli.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You are basically saying "I rather have $20 right now than $100 next month":help:

More like saying I’ll spend $50 bucks on something I enjoy right now because this Friday is pay day and I’m guaranteed my salary. Instead of saving the money to buy more mega millions tickets. Only in this case the mega millions jackpot is only paying out once at maybe $1000 more than my normal paycheck.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
This is exactly it. I know how big it would be to draft Hughes or Kakko for the rebuild, but the importance of Bertuzzi, Athanasiou, Mantha, Larkin, Hronek, etc. continuing on a development curve and not plateauing is more important than one player could ever hope to be. All of these players are in our back pocket already. They already have a role in the rebuild, and their collective success can shorten the rebuild, but one of them plateauing will likely extend it.

If I can have signs of guaranteed higher level production from our current players and it means instead of taking special prospect Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko, I have to select really ****ing good prospect Alex Turcotte or Bowen Byram or Dylan Cozens or Trevor Zegras, then so be it.

These players have plenty of time to develop and already have the tools necessary just haven't completely put it together

I'm all for losing the rest of this season and getting a top 3 draft pick. Do any of our younger talent have any drive for the remaining games, even?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It's ironic that the same people who complain about Mantha and AA's compete level want the team to tank. Don't mind them, they're probably not watching the games. The SJS game was one of the most entertaining Wings game in a while. I'm not going to watch guys like Vanek and Abby play. I'd rather watch dog poop dry out in the sun while eating broccoli.

Fans that want the team to tank probably aren't watching any games? This is absolutely ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad