GDT: Red Wings @ Sabres 7 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 - Playoff Push Restarts HERE

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I'm shocked Syndey Sweeney wearing Angelina Jolies dress to the Oscars caused the Dow Jones to jump
The ability to differentiate between causation and correlation is a lost skill.

That said, this team is materially better with less Skinner.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The ability to differentiate between causation and correlation is a lost skill.

That said, this team is materially better with less Skinner.

They can be... if our GM did his job. Taking out your leading goal scorer on a team already struggling to score is not something that is a great model for success.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I stayed out of the GDT since a few hours before game time since I knew I'd be watching on slight delay.
Benson is buzzing everytime he's on the ice

As usual, Benson’s goal comes from understanding where to move to better than everyone else. No hesitation. Charges to the empty space to make himself available. He’s done it all year and the finish hasn’t been there yet. But if you want signs he is going to be productive as he develops…he’s always where he is supposed to be.

OMG what an awesome outfit - hockey meets rodeo meets Garanimals
Saw where the play was going and got in position before Greenway even got the puck

I friggin love Benson. Still can't believe he fell to us last draft.

Re: Benson, in addition to the goals, I'll gladly pile on and contrast him with Skinner.

Late-game (mid-3rd?) power play, Sabres up by a handful, Skinner on the left side on the rush (can't recall if he carried the puck in or received a pass from a teammate crossing the blue line near the right neutral-zone faceoff dot) has a clear lane and good look at Reimer, takes his shot from the top of the face-off circle to Reimer's right, misses the net completely and the puck rings around the boards to Reimer's left and out of the offensive zone. The Sabre on Skinner's right (again, may have originally passed to Skinner for the open look) is in the slot (as he should be) at that point, marked by 1 or 2 Wings). Maybe a D-pair change was happening, but there was no Sabre at the right point to cover the ring-around from the missed/wide SOG. Puck leaves the zone and the PP needs to regroup.

In contrast, Benson, killing a penalty earlier in the game (1st period), finds the puck on his stick in the o-zone after a couple flubs back and forth between a couple Wings and another Sabre, yet briefly, calmly, and quickly looks to decide where to send the puck before dumping it deep to the corner to Reimer's left. I assume the d-pairs were changing.

Two totally different situations, one player 55 games into his NHL career, two months shy of his 19th birthday, trusted with PK duties, always aware of his teammates positions, focused on possession. The other will play his 1000th game before the season ends, two months shy of his 32nd birthday, making fewer smart possession plays with the puck each game than the 19yo teammate. I'm not saying Skinner shouldn't have shot the puck. He had a clear lane and look, But in a tie game, or a game the Sabres are trailing, at a minimum shoot to get a rebound kicked out to Reimer's right.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Quiet votes for His Holiness Dylan Larkin for the Hart.
511.jpeg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are all this his higness jokes, did the Queen make him a lord or what did I miss?

Back when Eichel was a rookie, NBC Sports was doing a game of the week between Buffalo and Detroit. They went on and on about the US-born future superstar in the game that night... Dylan Larkin, hallowed be his name. They barely gave Jack the time of day. So, we started making jokes about Larkin, his holiness. And then it continued in how they were covered for a while and it just continued to be a thing.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Back when Eichel was a rookie, NBC Sports was doing a game of the week between Buffalo and Detroit. They went on and on about the US-born future superstar in the game that night... Dylan Larkin, hallowed be his name. They barely gave Jack the time of day. So, we started making jokes about Larkin, his holiness. And then it continued in how they were covered for a while and it just continued to be a thing.
Ah ok I thought something happened recently because I never read that here before, probably missed it somehow.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Are we the only board that’s still beating that horse to death or did other boards do the same?

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
RE: Larkin
I can still hear Jack Edwards nearly 10 years ago, in mid-game play by play calling, “ puck recovered by Seidenberg, the most underrated defenseman in the NHL, carries it across his blue line, “

I blame some fraction of my drinking on that night.

Reactions: Chainshot

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
RE: Larkin
I can still hear Jack Edwards nearly 10 years ago, in mid-game play by play calling, “ puck recovered by Seidenberg, the most underrated defenseman in the NHL, carries it across his blue line, “

I blame some fraction of my drinking on that night.
Jack edwards is in a league of his own. :laugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Here’s some questions I’d like answered:

Is Krebs still improving noticeably?
How certain are we that he’ll be better than a typical middle-of-the-road UFA center next season?
Is he even above replacement-level in any role we’ve seen him in so far?

I honestly don’t know the answers to these. To me, he does look great some nights, and makes a lot of bonehead plays other nights. His moneypuck stats and other metrics seem to look awful, even when he has what I consider good games. Which is fairly regularly lately. I like him!

Who is this guy, and how do we use him next season successfully? I need that question answered before we can even figure out what our needs are.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

How certain are we that he’ll be better than a typical middle-of-the-road UFA center next season?

I honestly don’t know the answers to these. To me, he does look great some nights, and makes a lot of bonehead plays other nights. His moneypuck stats and other metrics seem to look awful, even when he has what I consider good games. Which is fairly regularly lately. I like him!

Who is this guy, and how do we use him next season successfully? I need that question answered before we can even figure out what our needs are.
who the hell cares what the metrics say he's a decent bottom 6er imo. I'm more worried that we still have Bryson in the lineup constantly.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I think Kevyn has an idea where Krebs needs to be slotted next year (3rd or 4th line?).

If he's unsure I think these remaining games without Mittelstadt will confirm his thoughts.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad